PDA

View Full Version : NIV notes in text

acts1810
05-28-2005, 10:50 PM
Why do my NIV notes show up in the text of the verses rather than in the notes window like all the other versions? Did I do something to make it this way? Can I change it?

It is a bother when I copy verses into other documents because I have to go through and delete all the notes.

Whiny,
Jeremy.

Mark Eddy
05-30-2005, 10:18 PM
You can turn off the notes so that they don't display in the results window. Just click on the button that looks like a musical note (or go to "View" and check in front of the line "version notes." Then the notes will disappear, and you can copy the text without the notes.

I don't know why NIV chose to put the notes in italics in the text rather than in the footnotes. But I actually like it this way, especially when the note simply includes a translation of a phrase from the majority text that is missing from the Nestle-Aland text. But I'm sure that if enough people want the notes out of the text, the folks at BW will make an effort to change it.

In Christ,
Mark Eddy

acts1810
05-31-2005, 06:24 PM
Thanks. I thought I had somehow changed a setting specifically for the NIV to make the notes appear that way. I guess if that's how NIV is set up, then there's no reason to change the text, especially if others find this set-up useful.

Now with regard to the NIV notes; they include variants which are not listed in Nestle-Aland? I'm intrigued. Do you remember any examples?

Thanks again for the help,
Jeremy.

Mark Eddy
05-31-2005, 07:09 PM
What I meant to write is that some of the NIV notes simply translate textual variants that are in the apparatus of the Nestle text but are not in the Nestle text itself.

In Christ,
Mark Eddy