05-21-2005, 11:25 PM
Hi, I would like to search for connectives that appear
at the front of sentences. Is there a way to specify
this query?

Moon Jung
Sogang Univ, Seoul, Korea

Glenn Weaver
05-23-2005, 11:25 AM
I can only provide a short response at this time, so I may not list every needed keystroke, but this will give some direction to performing this search. This search is easy to do with the Advanced Search Engine (ASE).

Open the ASE, and open the Word Box. On the right-hand side of the dialog box is a check box to select position 1 in the verse. Add your prefered search word, or you can select the lower radio button in the dialog box and add an Inclusion/exclusion list (IEL), even using a Louw & Nida domain for the connectives if you are searching on Greek words.

To set the limit to sentence, on the ASE menu bar open Query/Properties/Flags and select "Cross verse boundaries".

Add another Word Box. Set a wildcard as the search word.

Add an Ordering Mode Box FROM the wildcard Word Box TO the search term(s) Word Box. (The order is important.) Open the Ordering Mode Box dialog box and select "Require punctuation." Check "Custom Punctuation" and add the appropriate punction mark for the period.

The above search should search for the first word in a sentence, not simply the first word in a verse.

This should get you started. Check the help file (press F1) or check the manual for extra help with the items I mention above.

Glenn