PDA

View Full Version : Part of Speech Search in English Version

RobJohn
05-17-2005, 12:28 PM
Is it possible to search in an english version say NAS or NET for a particular word preceeded or followed by an adjective? For example if I want to search in the book of Proverbs for the word "path" preceeded by an adjective like "wicked" or "upright" or "wayward" or whatever, how would I do this?

Ben Spackman
05-17-2005, 01:01 PM
To do that, you'd need an English Bible that had been "tagged" with that information, and I'm nto aware of any English Bible in any Bible program with that capability. I've often wished for it in the KJV (looking for literalistic Hebrew syntax that made it's way in), but alas...

Ruben Gomez
05-18-2005, 04:40 AM
Is it possible to search in an english version say NAS or NET for a particular word preceeded or followed by an adjective? For example if I want to search in the book of Proverbs for the word "path" preceeded by an adjective like "wicked" or "upright" or "wayward" or whatever, how would I do this?

As Ben mentioned, this is not possible. However, you could base your search on Strong's numbers (using KJV or NAU as your search version), and build a search with #s like 04570/0734 (path), 07563 (wicked), 03477(upright), etc. Obviously, this is not a comprehensive list, and the method is far from ideal, but you might find some limited usefulness in it.

Needless to say, these searches are a piece of cake if you turn to a tagged original language text :)

Rubén Gómez

MGVH
05-18-2005, 10:29 AM
The attached ASE file should do the trick.
Set your limits to Proverbs (or whatever you wish).
Run the ASE file which looks for all instances of odos in the Greek that are paired with adjectives agreeing in gender, number, and case.
Export your results and then switch to the English version of your choice.

Of course you will probably get different results running the search with the Hebrew (I have not worked as much with the Hebrew to set up the correct search), but since you are interested in the English, you are not going to get perfect results anyway.