PDA

View Full Version : New user with a few basic questions :)

CMBessette
05-04-2005, 05:44 PM
Just a few questions--I've attempted searching in help but couldn't find anything. Chances are I didn't look hard enough. (Forgive me my ignorance! Sorry!)

Is it possible to display parallel versions in the result window (not only one verse at a time)?
When using the synopsis tool, can you use any modern English versions (I've only been able to use BGT and KJV)?
When mousing-over the NAU, it gives me the Hebrew/Greek words behind the translation--can I turn this on for the ESV?
Is there a way to view the in-text pericope headings for English translations?
Can I use the Lexical and Grammatical Help window with the Parallel window? (I've had trouble with this--if I click on the lexical help window, it hides the parallel window.)
Is there a way to limit searches on the fly in the command line?
Thanks so much for your help. I look forward to learning to use the software better in the Lord's service.

vr8ce
05-05-2005, 12:07 AM
Just a few questions--I've attempted searching in help but couldn't find anything. Chances are I didn't look hard enough. (Forgive me my ignorance! Sorry!)

Is it possible to display parallel versions in the result window (not only one verse at a time)?
When using the synopsis tool, can you use any modern English versions (I've only been able to use BGT and KJV)?
When mousing-over the NAU, it gives me the Hebrew/Greek words behind the translation--can I turn this on for the ESV?
Is there a way to view the in-text pericope headings for English translations?
Can I use the Lexical and Grammatical Help window with the Parallel window? (I've had trouble with this--if I click on the lexical help window, it hides the parallel window.)
Is there a way to limit searches on the fly in the command line?
Thanks so much for your help. I look forward to learning to use the software better in the Lord's service.
1. You say elsewhere that you got the Parallel window working, so I don't understand this question. The Result window isn't a Parallel Window, so you obviously can't see things side by side like in the Parallel window. Can you clarify the question?
2. The creator of the Synopsis file specifies which versions to use. You can choose File/Edit to change it. There are other Synopsis files available besides the ones that ship with BW (see the Master List of BW Add-ins sticky thread).
3. No, it's only available for translations that have morphology and/or Strong numbers in them, and in BW that's limited to KJV/NAU for English translations.
4. Hmmm, I don't know what that means, I'll have to leave it for someone smarter. :)
5. Each of the columns in the Parallel window can have it's own auto-info window. So, if you're displaying four translations in parallel, you can four auto-info windows, one for each column. You can put the cursor in the column where you want an AI window and hit Q, or you can use the Auto-Info button on the Parallel Window toolbar (second from bottom).
6. Yes, type "l <whatever>", i.e. "l nt", "l paul", "l gospels", "l aramaic", etc. BW ships with many defined limits, but you can add your own custom ones (Tools/Options). That's a lowercase L, btw.

Vince

Mark Eddy
05-05-2005, 09:44 AM

Yes. When you type a reference on the command line, just type in a range of verses, e.g. Mat 28:16-20 and you'll see all these verses in all your chosen versions in the results window.

4. Is there a way to view the in-text pericope headings for English translations?
I'm not any smarter, but I know that the headings are not part of the biblical text, so they won't display in the results window. I don't know if any of the headings are included in the notes that are associated with any of the versions. But if they are, they would be visible in the auto-info window for the verse with which they are associated. There is, of course, a default "Outline Headings" list that is included with BibleWorks. Right click on the blank blue area at the top of the results window and be sure "Show Outline Heading" is checked. Some of the Synopsis files also have headings. If you really want the headings of a version, you could create a synopsis file yourself and type in all the headings. But that would be a lot of work.

5. Can I use the Lexical and Grammatical Help window with the Parallel window? (I've had trouble with this--if I click on the lexical help window, it hides the parallel window.)
Just use the mouse to move the lexical help window. The other window is still open (behind it). Once moved the lexical window will come back in the new location for the rest of your session. But each time to close BW and re-open it the lexical help window will come back to the default location, and you'll have to move it again, unless this has been tweaked recently.

Hope this helps.
Mark Eddy

Adelphos
05-05-2005, 10:49 AM

The easiest way to do what you want is to type on the CL (command line) the following:

"p KJV NAU NIV NKJ"

without the quotes and where "p" equals "parallel" and the following abbreviations are the bible versions you wish to display. This will pop up the parallel versions window with your bible versions, and you can then manipulate them as you will. Pay attention to the buttons on the left side of the parallel versions window, and RIGHT-CLICK on various spots around the entire window to see various contexts options. You can also of course display more or less than four bible versions. The above is just an example.

I think your other questions have probably been answered.

Scott
http://www.lamblion.net (http://www.lamblion.net/)

CMBessette
05-09-2005, 07:37 PM
Thank you all so much for helping to answer all my questions--it's appreciated! :)