PDA

View Full Version : Spellchecker problems w/MS Word

dbielby
04-27-2005, 05:38 PM
Ok...let's say that I want to do some sentence flow work or just paste a
paragraph from BW into my sermon notes in MS Word. When I do that
the spell checker marks every word as an error. (I have XP w/Word 2002) I've tried to figure out how to turn off spell checker...or better yet, have it recognize the font language and do multi-language spell checking, but I can't find a way to do this. So my questions:

is there a way to eliminate the spellchecker blues in MS Word when pasting in Greek text? If not, is there a word processor that handles this situation nicely?

jdarlack
04-27-2005, 10:13 PM
Use your help file in MS Word to look up "Custom Word Dictionaries."
This will tell you how to create new dictionaries for your spell checker.
You would then want to generate a list of all the words in the BGT, using the Word List Manager, then export the list to a text file. Then, remove all of the numbers (number each word occurs). Use find and replace for this.
Then, save the file as "bwgreek.dic" using the quote marks, as it will change the file extension. Save the file in your C:\Windows\...\Application
Data\Microsoft\Proof\ folder, then activate the custom dictionary in the
Tools|Options menu in Word. (The directory names may vary depending on
which version of Windows you are using, which directory name you have for
windows - WinNT, Win98, etc - and your profile or user name if you have
multiple users). I hope that helps.

Pastor Don Johnson gave this advice back in the days of the Topica list, and it works. You can do the same for Hebrew words.

Gontroppo
04-28-2005, 07:23 AM
Hi James.
How would you remove all numbers using Find and Replace, please?

David McKay
www.davidmckay.info (http://www.davidmckay.info)

jdarlack
04-28-2005, 05:11 PM
Hello there!

This is a relatively easy thing to do with Word. There are two different ways using the find & replace tool. I am assuming that you at least know how to use the tool. If not, read your help files in Word. They're not too bad.

The first way uses the code ^# . If you place that code in the find what field it will look for all numbers. Then you can leave nothing in the replace with field and hit replace all. This will find all individual digits and then erase them (replace them with nothing).

The second way uses wild cards, or "regular expressions." To do this you would type [0-9] in the find what field and then make sure you have the "wild card" check box checked off. (You can get to this check box by clicking the MORE button on the dialog box). Again, you can place nothing in the replace with box, click replace all, and it will erase all of the numbers.

For a good article on using wildcards in Word's find & replace tool, click HERE (http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/General/UsingWildcards.htm).

I hope that helps.

Mark Eddy
04-28-2005, 05:12 PM
To replace the numbers you could also use the "Replace" command under the "Edit" menu in Word or WordPad. Then one by one type in one of the ten numerals in the "Find" box (e.g. start with "1") and leave the "Replace with" box empty. After repeating this process for all ten numerals, you'll be left with just the words in the BGT database.

This is where I'm stuck. It appears to me that the custom dictionaries are "hidden files", so that I cannot save the file containing the list of Greek words in the location that Jim suggests. When I "search" my C drive it fails to display an "Applicaion Data" folder, even though I know one exists, because my "Custom" dictionary is in it. I was able to create a "bwgreek" custom dictionary from within MS Word, but it is totally empty, and I can't get the word list I created into that file. Help, please.

Also, when we save the word list, should we save it with or without accents?

Mark Eddy