PDA

View Full Version : BW on a Mac?

phuebs
04-26-2005, 09:43 PM
I couldn't find any other forums talking about this. So...I think I am going to buy a powerbook G4 Mac. Can I run BW on it, or do I have to usual virtual pc? If I do have to, how smoothly does it run? Is it really slow? Help and advice and lots of info please!

thanks

ingosorke
04-26-2005, 10:43 PM
There have been isolated comments in regards to BW use on Macs, mostly positive if I can remember. Couldn't find the posts via search either, but if I remember correctly it takes a Windows-based text program (Word, WordPerfect) to transfer foreign characters without trouble.

On a side note: Wait till Tiger (Mac OS 10.4) is pre-installed after Apr 29, and Powerbook G5s should be coming out some time soon.

And, dare I mention it (at the risk of getting stoned), check out, ahem, www.accordancebible.com (http://www.accordancebible.com) or www.oaksoft.com (http://www.oaksoft.com) if you're setting up camp in the world of Mac . . .
Please let us know your BW experience with a Mac.

phuebs
04-27-2005, 06:54 AM
so BW should work on a Mac? Or do I actually need virtual PC? Will BW makers ever have an update or a patch to convert to Mac?

Joe Fleener
04-27-2005, 07:11 AM
No BW does not work on a MAC without Virtual PC.

I do not represent BW, but I think I can say that you will not see a MAC version of BW. BW and the folks at Accordance have a wonderful working relationship to the Glory of the Lord. I am confident that neither will do anything to harm the other's market.

In fact both programs will run on the other platform via an emulator (i.e. Accordance on PC and BW on MAC). But both companies openly recommend individuals to each other if a user has a strong preference for the other's OS.

The only real hurdle to get over with Accordance is the cost. It is a fantastic program - as is BW, but it is more expensive.

See the following Treads for more information:

http://www.bibleworks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=142

http://www.bibleworks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=497

RichP
04-27-2005, 01:04 PM
Good luck on your decision. BibleWorks works well on a Mac with Virtual PC-- please read the threads referenced in the above post for more info on that aspect.

As for selction of a system, BW or Accordance, you really need to decide what you need it for. I started with BibleWorks on a PC and then bought a Mac and now have both packages. Accordance for the Theological Journals, etc. BibleWorks for Greek and Hebrew. BibleWorks is a great package and with VPC works well.

If you don't have either package, then the decision is what do you need? I say this, because if you're getting the software to "just get through Greek and Hebrew" in a MDiv, the cost is about the same. The syntax books (Waltke & Wallace) are additional modules on both systems. BDAG is additional on both as well.

If you are a Greek or Hebrew major, then BibleWorks is a great value because of the quantity of texts. Accordance, will cost more. However, I want to stress-- its about what you need.

You could start by listing what you NEED (English versions, texts, tools) and then adding "nice to haves". Compare the two and see which fits your needs and budget. Remember, Accordance will have a native Mac interface and this may be one of your "needs". However, if you are working primarify in Greek and Hebrew, you may stay in BibleWorks most of the time; export a file to RTF format and then drag and drop it onto the Mac desktop and work from there. That may be one of your "needs".

Hope this helps.

Rich

Gontroppo
04-27-2005, 05:10 PM
G'day
Interesting post.
What theological journals are accessible through Accordance, please?

David McKay
www.davidmckay.info (http://www.davidmckay.info)

alan1979
04-27-2005, 07:23 PM
Just to let you know, Logos is coming to the MAC as well. So most of what ACCORDANCE has including theological journals I believe will also be available for Logos on the MAC this year I believe.

alan

vr8ce
04-28-2005, 05:01 PM
Just to let you know, Logos is coming to the MAC as well. So most of what ACCORDANCE has including theological journals I believe will also be available for Logos on the MAC this year I believe.
alan
As is Quickverse. Whereas in the past BW's non-Mac position has been shared among the major PC players, they are suddenly (almost literally overnight) all alone in the world. I understand BW's economic limitations, etc., but I think BW is missing an increasing market. IMO VPC isn't a viable alternative; it hasn't been the same since OS X was release, and I think putting yourself in Microsoft's hands to run a program on a competing platform is... unwise. :) I'm not saying it doesn't work (no testimonials necessary), I'm saying it's touchy, a resource hog, and should be unnecessary. Faced with running VPC or switching programs, I would switch programs, no matter how much I love BW (which is a LOT).

Vince

RichP
04-28-2005, 06:42 PM
The Theological Journals are avilable under Windows (Logos) & Macintsosh (Accordance).

Here is the list from Accordance:

Vol. 5 (subsumed Vols. 1-4)
Journal of Christian Apologetics (1997-1998)
Bibliotheca Sacra Journal (1934-2001)
Chafer Theological Seminary Journal (1995-2001)
Conservative Theological Journal (1995-1998)
Emmaus Journal (1991-2001)
Journal of the Grace Evangelical Society (1988-2000)
Grace Theological Journal (1980-1991)
Journal of Biblical Manhood and Womanhood (1995-2001)
The Journal of the Evangelical Theological Society (1966-2001)
Master's Seminary Journal (1990-1999)
Michigan Theological Journal (1990-1994)
Trinity Journal (1980-2000)
Westminster Theological Journal (1960-2000)

Vol. 6
Bible and Spade (1996-2000)
Bibliotheca Sacra Journal (2002)
Chafer Theological Seminary Journal (1995-2002)
Conservative Theological Journal (2000-2002)
Detroit Baptist Seminary Journal (1996-2000)
Journal of the Grace Evangelical Society (2001-2002)
Journal of Biblical Manhood and Womanhood (2002)
The Journal of the Evangelical Theological Society (2002)
Journal of Ministry and Theology (1997-2002)
Masterís Seminary Journal (2000)
Reformation and Revival (1992-2002)
Trinity Journal (2001)
Westminster Theological Journal (1950-1959, 2001- 2002)

Hope this helps!
Rich

Gontroppo
04-29-2005, 01:03 AM
G'day
The journals you listed are available to us PC geezers via Galaxie, using the Libronix engone

See www.bible.org (http://www.bible.org) and visit the store for more information.

I keep intending to purchase them, but always have soem frivolous thing to spend the money on, like pay my gas bill, etc.

But one day ...

There is some good stuff there on those 2 CDs!

David McKay
www.davidmckay.info (http://www.davidmckay.info)

Joe Fleener
04-29-2005, 07:00 AM
There is now a version 7 (so 3 CDs) and yes, they are from Galaxie, but they are in Libronix/Logos format.

jarcher
05-20-2005, 11:38 PM
I have a PowerMac G4 (dual 500Mhz w/ 512MB RAM) with OS X Tiger and Virtual PC 6.1.

Tonight I installed BW 6.0. The install went wonderfully with no problems at all. In fact, I installed the videos as well and tested them. Sound is good, as is the motion on the videos.

After only a few minutes of testing it appears that BW6 runs wonderfully with this setup. The searches are fast (not as fast as my PC was) and all of the buttons, fonts, etc. work great. As far as I can tell, it is just like my PC was.

I was also able to connect to the Internet and download the updates w/o any errors. So far, it's working wonderfully.

Peace,

Jeremy

David Powers
05-25-2005, 08:42 PM
I am new at this, so forgive me if my entry is misplaced. Transferring from a PC to a Mac, a G3 with OS X (I am told), what level "virtual PC" program will I need to make my BibleWorks 6 fundtion smoothly? Thanks.

Dale A. Brueggemann
05-26-2005, 05:00 AM
Mac, a G3 with OS X (I am told), what level "virtual PC" program will I need to make my BibleWorks 6 fundtion smoothly? Thanks.

Of course, using a Mac gives you access to the Rolls Royce of Bible software, which is AcCordance.