PDA

View Full Version : Text comparison oddity and VDC problem

djnordlund
04-22-2005, 05:35 PM
I have sort of a convoluted problem

I exported the old NLT before updating to the 2004 NLT. I used the VDC to compile an NLV (old) version so that I could compare the old and new versions. Using the text comparison tool I highlighted the two texts.

In Jonah 2, almost every word is highlighted in both versions, indicating that there are almost no words in common. I noticed that Jon 1:17 is almost completely highlighted in the NLT (new), but not in the NLV (old). It apprears that NLT Jon 1:17 is compared with NLV Jon 2:1, NLT 2:1 with NLV 2:2, etc.
Chapters 1 & 3 compare correctly.

When I look at the (old) NLV there is no blank Line between verses 1:17 and 2:1 like there is between every other chapter. When I look at the exported text file, the transition between chapters 1 and 2 isn't any different from other chapter transitions.

Any thoughts, ideas, guesses, or incantations for solving this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Dan Nordlund
Bothell, WA

Mark Eddy
04-23-2005, 09:31 PM
The "problem" is easy to fix. You need a verse map file for your "old" New Living Bible. On my computer I named the old NLT as NLO, so I have an nlo.vmf file.
In most English versions Jon 1:17 corresponds to Jon 2:1 in Hebrew. Without a verse map file BW automatically acts as if the verse numbering is identical to Hebrew. I would attach my nlo.vmf file, but the web site won't let me make this kind of attachment here. If you send me an e-mail at markeddy@adams.net, I'll send along the file you need. Then just rename it (if necessary) to have the same 3-letter abbreviation as your "old" New LIving Bible, and copy it to your BibleWorks 6 "databases" file, and it should overwrite the currently empty file.
I found a few differences between the verse numbering of the two versions. If there were none, you could just copy the nlt.vmf from the "databases" file, paste it to another file, rename it, and copy it back into the "databases" file, and your problem would be solved as well. Actually there are very few differences between the two versions of the NLT in the Old Testament. The New Testament has been reworked a great deal.
In Christ,
Mark Eddy