PDA

View Full Version : Ran repair, but re-installed BW is not registered now

ptd99uk
04-21-2005, 02:55 PM
I've just had to run "repair" using my installation disk, after there was a problem in my patches folder after attempting to download the latest web updates. However, my copy of BW now shows as an unregistered copy, and I can't work out how to input my registration number again.

Thanks in anticipation of your help,

almather
04-21-2005, 07:34 PM
I've done the same thing. And my BW's has been showing it is unregistered for a long time now, and it still works fine, (most of the time). I have surmised that that is just the way things are, but could be mistaken.

Al

alan1979
04-21-2005, 07:41 PM
i just checked and my version is also marked as unregistered. What should I do?

alan

jhntruevine
04-22-2005, 12:03 AM
I have the same problem.

J.K.

ptd99uk
04-22-2005, 02:07 AM
I decided to uninstall and then re-install. The usual screen came up, asking for my registration details, and now everything's back to normal after about 30 megs of updates!

rdchelvan
04-22-2005, 03:39 AM
I also just ran a repair and the same thing happened. Rather disconcerting. I also had to unlock HALOT and BDAG once more. The update from y to z of 6.0.005 showed some problem and would not update properly. When I did the repair it said 6.0.005y and upon another attempt to update, the message returns with no updates available. Hmmm! What's going on?

JCalvin
05-27-2005, 11:46 PM
I've experienced this exact same problem. I went ahead and reinstalled (unfortunately, losing all my settings :(), and it fixed things, until tonight. I downloaded another patch this evening, and sure enough, I received a message that I needed to either repair the installation or reinstall. Repairing would once again give me the "unregistered" situation, or reinstalling would give me the lose of settings. Does anyone know if I can just save a copy of my BW600.ini file, reinstall, then replace the new BW600.ini file with my old one, saving me the trouble of resetting up all of my preferences? That sure would be nice. Thanks!

Marty O'Connell
Sperry, OK

Adelphos
05-28-2005, 12:35 AM
I received a message that I needed to either repair the installation or reinstall.

I've been getting that message for quite awhile and I just ignore it. The installation proceeds and when I check the About Box, it shows that I do indeed have the updated version. I don't know if I'm actually missing anything or not, but everything seems to run fine.

Mark Eddy
05-30-2005, 12:56 PM
I went ahead and reinstalled (unfortunately, losing all my settings :(), and it fixed things, until tonight. ... Repairing would once again give me the "unregistered" situation, or reinstalling would give me the lose of settings. Does anyone know if I can just save a copy of my BW600.ini file, reinstall, then replace the new BW600.ini file with my old one, saving me the trouble of resetting up all of my preferences? That sure would be nice. Thanks!

Yes, you can (and should) copy your BW600.ini file. (It's in the Windows folder). You can copy it to any place other than the windows folder (I have it on a CD, and I've put it on a floppy disk in the past. I also keep a copy in my old BW5 folder, just so I know where to find it.)
After you re-install or repair BW6 (and add any user database versions you may have) you can copy your original BW600.ini file back into the Windows folder (overwriting the version from the BW6 CD). If you have any discrepancy at all in the Bible versions you have installed, parts of the BW600.ini file will be changed (e.g. version order). So be sure that you have the BW600.ini file safely saved outside the Windows folder, in case you have to paste it in the Windows folder multiple times. (I learned from my mistakes.)
Also, you can save your BDAG, HALOT, and other Registration Entries (in the BW "init" folder) to a disk and after you have reinstalled, you can copy them back into the BW "init" folder. That way BW will be able to find the registration without your having to type the registration number in again.
Hope this helps.
Mark Eddy

JCalvin
05-30-2005, 07:46 PM
Yes, you can (and should) copy your BW600.ini file. (It's in the Windows folder). You can copy it to any place other than the windows folder (I have it on a CD, and I've put it on a floppy disk in the past . . . Also, you can save your BDAG, HALOT, and other Registration Entries (in the BW "init" folder) to a disk and after you have reinstalled, you can copy them back into the BW "init" folder. That way BW will be able to find the registration without your having to type the registration number in again.
Hope this helps.
Mark Eddy

Mark,

Thanks for the information. That's exactly what I was looking for (short of a fix for this reoccurring problem). I really appreciate it!

Marty

hopeport
06-10-2005, 08:35 AM
... of people getting these "file not installed/problem in patches folder" messages. But I've been much less than thrilled about the prospect of reinstalling and loosing settings, and so haven't done it. Happily, BW seems to keep working. But it is getting pretty disconcerting. Seems a lot of folks are having the same issue. Are we losing any functionality by not reinstalling?

michael_john
07-07-2005, 09:40 PM
A couple of questions, I could either spend my time preparing for a sermon or reading the BW6 manual – I choose to prepare for the sermon:

Like everyone else on this forum page, I have had to repair my BW6 and I am unregistered: do I have to reregister online or what?
After repairing all of my search favourites on the command line are gone. Beside manually apply these again; can I have BW6 reload them?
This may be related to number 2. These *.ini files, I searched “My Computer” and came up with two under “bw*.ini”. I didn’t see a bw600.ini. Has the file name changed to bw600_clone.ini or bw6dir.ini? And will these files save my search favourites?

Thank you very much,

Michael Johnson

Mark Eddy
07-08-2005, 12:43 AM
Like everyone else on this forum page, I have had to repair my BW6 and I am unregistered: do I have to reregister online or what?
No, you don't have to reregister. That's a bug in the program. It may already have been fixed, if you get the latest update (under "Tools" then "Database Update Manager"). You don't really have to repair BW at all. It works fine without the repair (except for the error message).

After repairing all of my search favourites on the command line are gone. Beside manually apply these again; can I have BW6 reload them?

This may be related to number 2. These *.ini files, I searched “My Computer” and came up with two under “bw*.ini”. I didn’t see a bw600.ini. Has the file name changed to bw600_clone.ini or bw6dir.ini? And will these files save my search favourites?
As I wrote in my earlier post, the bw600.ini file is in the Windows folder, not in the BibleWorks folder. Yes, it does save your search favorites.
Regretably once you have lost your settings you do have to reset them all manually, unless you had previously saved your bw600.ini file to a disk or a folder other than windows. If you save this file, once you have run the repair just copy your preferred bw600.ini file back into the Windows folder (with BibleWorks closed), and BibleWorks should boot up the next time with your favorite settings.
I know it's frustrating, if you forgot to save the bw600.ini file elsewhere. It also gets changed whenever you add a completely new Bible version (since the version order is saved in the bw600.ini file). So after you've set up BW again the way you like it, be sure to save that file outside of the windows directory, in case you need to restore it again. And after you add another version be sure to edit the bw600.ini file in the version order line, so that it includes the added version(s)
In Christ,
Mark Eddy