PDA

View Full Version : Editor problems

ralphnsarah@operamail.com
04-21-2005, 04:41 AM
I am having a lot of problems with the editor. I mostly use BibleWorks6 to read the Greek NT and write my own translation. When I do this the program will crash several times during a session. There seems to be not obvious cause of the crash. Does anyone have the same experience? If so is there anything that can be done about it? Nothing else in BibleWorks6 seems to cause a crash except typing in the editor! I use Windows XP SP2. :)

roel schipper
04-21-2005, 07:22 AM
Same experience, very annoying! (Windows XP SP2)
Roel Schipper

Mark Eddy
04-21-2005, 10:43 AM
What version of BW are you running? If it isn't 6.0.011x you may want to run the "Database and Update Manager" under the "Tools" menu. I don't use the editor extensively, but I regularly update a number of files using the editor, and I haven't had any crashes. If you get the latest update and you still have a problem, tech support will want to know what specific series of keystrokes you use that lead to the crash. This is the sort of question that needs to be directed to support@bibleworks.com.
In Christ,
Mark Eddy

Michael Hanel
04-21-2005, 11:45 AM
I've had very similar experiences with the editor. It is especially annoying when you find that the editor doesn't have an auto-save feature so the work you're doing ends up lost. I know that BW people agreed that the editor wasn't one of the strongest features of BW, which is why they said that it'll get a very big face lift in 7.0 so that it shouldn't crash as often.

If you're like me it's probably hard to recreate exactly what causes the crash and it might not even be possible to duplicate it. I mostly use my editor for copying text from the auto-info window (i.e. lexical definitions) straight to the editor window. Sometimes it crashes often, sometimes not at all. I have no idea why.

Dan Phillips
04-21-2005, 09:55 PM
It has crashed on me quite a bit too. Nothing particularly sets it off. I always keep up to date, did correspond with support, nothing came of it -- it still crashes. The nice fellow who tried to help me said something along the lines of "That happens sometimes." It's made it so that, when I'm doing a particularly long or complex note, I'll pause and switch verses to provoke a save, so that if it crashes, I won't lose as much. Control-S does not save the verse note.

jcvictory
05-03-2005, 11:06 AM
I've also had the same problems with the editor. I love BibleWorks - but this is one part of the program that has cause me much grief.

jhntruevine
05-03-2005, 02:13 PM
Just remember that Mike said they have reworked the editor. Now the next problem is learning to patiently wait for it to be released. This includes me.

mlward
05-03-2005, 02:53 PM
Me too. Me too.

I've lost some excellent Advanced Greek Grammar points from fast-talking Dr. Randy Leedy because of that errant notes window.

As a matter of habit I now stop several times during a long note and change to another verse in the results window then change back to the one I'm notating. That saves the note.

I have thousands of hours invested in my notes. I eagerly await the BW7 notes improvements.

Mark

MBD
08-18-2005, 01:21 PM
I too find the editor incredibly quirky and easy to crash. I await the coming of BW 7 but in the meantime... Many of my troubles happen when I try to paste something from outside BW into the editor...say a quotation I have cut from TLG in arial unicode Greek. When the paste doesn't work, and I delete it, I am very often left with a long cursor (5-6 lines high) that breaks up my note forcing two lines between which I tried the paste to be now 6-7 lines apart. This cursor can often provoke cursing. (How I miss my Microsoft UNDO)
The editor could be such a powerful tool. Whenever I read an article on a verse etc. I could incorporate that into a note on BW so my treatment of a verse is always uptodate.
Michael Dick

Ben Spackman
08-18-2005, 09:39 PM
"I am very often left with a long cursor (5-6 lines high) that breaks up my note forcing two lines between which I tried the paste to be now 6-7 lines apart. This cursor can often provoke cursing."

I also have experience this, and it's difficult to get the huge cursor and resulting space to go away.

Dan Phillips
08-19-2005, 09:20 PM
It's another flaw with the editor. But here's a workaround: select all the text, cut it, paste it into Notepad. You'll notice, IIRC, a spare semicolon. Remove that, cut it from Notepad, paste it back into the editor, and the problem's solved.

Except that you'll have to re-do any font effects (italics, different language fonts, etc.).

Like I say, it's a workaround. A redo of the Editor is overdue.

tcblack
08-24-2005, 05:59 PM
CTRL+S will save your data without switching verses.

I've experienced the same crashes and neither drwatson, MSdebug, or any other system debugger can ever pinpoint a fault. But years of working in Buggy software (I'm a beta test freak) has taught me the value of memorizing the CTRL+S shortcut and using it frequently. It has now become so second nature that I've griped at a crash only to realize that I only lost the last sentence when I get reloaded. Apparently I'm saving without paying attention.

It's a great habit, and worthy of cultivating while we wait for one of a few options...

Someone at BW will suddenly smack thier forhead and say "I found the culprit" and they'll fix it. :-)
Someone in the user base (that's us) will manage to snag it with the right debugger at the right time.
The New editor will be finished and expedited to v6 users.
Or that last one will mean we have to upgrade to v7.

briantipton
09-14-2005, 05:47 PM
I had resisted posting this, but after reading the forums, I realized I was not alone. My editor also crashes randomly. Having tested software before, I know that not being able to reproduce a problem on command makes it difficult to diagnose.

Just lost another bit o' work - though CTRL-S is becoming part of my routine. It is just frustrating. I like using the editor for notes, but it is becoming a pain. Is there any relief in sight?

Thanks.

Dan Phillips
09-18-2005, 05:02 PM
As I noted above, Control-S doesn't work -- or didn't in my testing. I hope you're not relying on it. Only thing that works is go to another verse, then come back.

guitarrev
09-20-2005, 02:38 AM
I was just working tonight on an article for our news paper, and I lost everything. Hope they can figure it out.

Dave

Mark Eddy
09-20-2005, 10:41 AM
In a sense "they" have "figured it out." The programmers know that the editor in 6.0 and earlier versions is inadiquate. They have decided to replace it entirely. But that won't happen until 7.0. which won't be released until next year (not this year's SBL). Since they have already decided on a "fix" for this problem, it would waste their time to try to discover what bugs are causing it to crash now (it appears to be more than just a little bug). I suggest doing your longer papers in a real word processor, as I have done for years, and save the BW editor for short notes, at least until 7.0 comes out.

In Christ,
Mark Eddy

Dale A. Brueggemann
09-20-2005, 01:02 PM
I suggest doing your longer papers in a real word processor, as I have done for years, and save the BW editor for short notes, at least until 7.0 comes out.

And don't forget the wonderful Ctrl-Shft-B that allows you to "grab" a reference from BW and paste it straight into your document at the cursor's position without even needing to transfer to BW if you know what you're wanting.

Doug Dunbar
09-28-2005, 03:13 PM
I have had the same problem (fully updated BW6 and XP SP2), and have heard that the issue is connected more to Windows memory management than to BW.

tcblack
10-03-2005, 10:03 AM
I've been able to grab a few hopeful leads. In the split seconds before the crash there is a text corruption that sneaks in somehow. The text will turn to White on a white background or, more frequently will shrink down to an impossibly small (0pt?) font. Investigating the source of the .bww file shows random close braces (}) which have no corresponding open braces ({).
I noticed the other day that the frequency of the crashes went way up after returning from Hibernation. I've noted issues with Windows hibernation before and have now disabled it on my computer. It's too risky.
At any rate, when I've managed to catch the corruption just prior to the crash I've sent in full explanations and copies of the files to BW tech support so they can pick it apart.
As Mark Eddy stated, the new editor is being worked on. But it would be entirely uncharacteristic of the BW programmers to ignore a current issue like this completely. They just need someone to help them pinpoint the problem.

Mark Eddy
10-15-2005, 01:00 PM
As I noted above, Control-S doesn't work -- or didn't in my testing. I hope you're not relying on it. Only thing that works is go to another verse, then come back.
Try using "Alt+f" then "s". This saves your work in the editor just fine.
Mark Eddy

jakemccarty
10-15-2005, 04:37 PM
"But that won't happen until 7.0. which won't be released until next year (not this year's SBL)."

So you're pretty certain about this? Bummer.... I had some hope. :( I wish that BW was more forthcoming with anticipated release dates and resources. I understand that there may be some ensuing problems from an early announcement, but on the other hand we all know it is scheduled for release and it may help us (especially those of us who have to live on a tiny university stipend) plan our budgets accordingly.

briantipton
10-16-2005, 05:41 PM
Here, here!

Or a small minstry budget... :eek:

Any long range planning helps. Even a quarter announcment would be great...but this is getting off topic.

I know I said CTRL-S earlier. I have been doing Alt-F then S and didn't even realize it...:o

I do take longer notes in my Word Processor. But when I want to put an idea down or just take some quick notes I want to use BWEditor. And that is when it crashes...though I must say with the 6.0.012j update, things have smooted out considerably.

Probably just a matter of time, though.