PDA

View Full Version : Error in BGT

wie
04-15-2005, 06:55 AM
as found by Richard Wilson on the textualcriticism list:

In BGT Act 7:16 EMMWR has a rough breathing, but the print edition (NA) has a smooth breathing. Wilson says, UBS4 has a rough breathing. I cannot check this atm. but for NA he is correct.

Dale A. Brueggemann
04-15-2005, 10:53 AM
as found by Richard Wilson on the textual criticism list: -- In BGT Act 7:16 EMMWR has a rough breathing, but the print edition (NA) has a smooth breathing. Wilson says, UBS4 has a rough breathing. I cannot check this atm. but for NA he is correct.

UBS3/NA26 had smooth breathing mark; however, UBS4 has the rough breathing mark, as did Stephanus, Tischendorf, and Westcott-Hort (according to BW data).

Various options for spelling exist, although the apparatus doesn't treat them at Acts 7:16:

(EMMO/R
(EMMW/R
)EMMW/R
)EMMO/R
EMMOR (LXX)
Incidentally, the LXX for Hamor lacks breathing and accent marks (Gen 33:19; 34:2, 4ff, 8, 13, 18, 20, 24, 26; Jda. 9:28; Jdg 9:28).

Ruben Gomez
04-15-2005, 03:19 PM
as found by Richard Wilson on the textualcriticism list:

In BGT Act 7:16 EMMWR has a rough breathing, but the print edition (NA) has a smooth breathing. Wilson says, UBS4 has a rough breathing. I cannot check this atm. but for NA he is correct.

The whole point is that BNT (thus the NT part of BGT) follows the text of UBS, whereas GNT represents NA. So, it would appear that GNT should display a smooth breathing. BNT/BGT are fine.

Best,

Rubén Gómez

wie
04-16-2005, 03:07 AM
GNT represents UBS in Bibleworks and BGT/BNT represents NA (see copyright information). Therefore EMMWR should have a smooth breathing in BGT.

Ruben Gomez
04-16-2005, 03:49 AM
GNT represents UBS in Bibleworks and BGT/BNT represents NA (see copyright information). Therefore EMMWR should have a smooth breathing in BGT.

Oops! Now I realize that I wrote exactly the opposite to what I meant to say. Years ago I suggested to Mike Bushell they should add the NA text (BNT/BGT) to BibleWorks, since it differed from UBS (GNT) in various details. So I should know better :) Sorry about that! I stand corrected.

Best,

Rubén Gómez

Dale A. Brueggemann
04-16-2005, 06:37 AM
Since the speaks of the GNT (i.e., UBS4) as "having exactly the same text as the Nestle-Aland 27th Edition of the Greek New Testament," maybe we've seen the use of NA27 in all three (GNT, BNT, BGT)?