PDA

View Full Version : Chayyim vs. Leningradensis

Adelphos
04-14-2005, 03:45 AM
From time to time, I've used the VLM to catalogue differences between Bomberg/ben Chayyim and BHS/BHL, but I've done this only as I more or less stumbled accross them. I wonder if anyone has done something similar from within BW, or if there is a nicely compiled list somewhere where this could without too much trouble be fitted into the VLM, or some other convention within BW.

Scott
http://www.lamblion.net

Charlie
04-18-2005, 09:24 AM
Scott,

The "Verse Mapping Utility" is what you want to use for this. Click Tools | Options | Verse Maps. You can then click the Help button at the bottom of the dialog for details.

Adelphos
04-18-2005, 10:10 PM
The "Verse Mapping Utility" is what you want to use for this.

I believe you misunderstood my request, Charlie. I want to catalogue those verses where BHS departs from the Massoretic Text, i.e., Jacob ben Chayyim.

(Yes, I know that BHS is also referred to as Massoretic, but many of us don't believe the appellation is justified with BHS, especially since its Massorah was put together and conjecturally emended by a twentieth-century scholar, not a Jewish Massorete, but that's another issue, along with the question of ben Asher or ben Naphtali -- or ben Eclectic :) -- and one that is not appropriate for this forum).

In any case, I want to catalogue all the verses, or as many as I can, where the two texts disagree. For example, in 2 Samuel 7:22, BHS has "adonai Jehovah" whereas the Massoretic Text has "Jehovah Elohim."

This is just one example, from what I can gather, of the numerous differences that exist between BHS and the Massoretic Text. I would like to catalogue these differences with the VLM, not the verse mapping utility.

Scott
http://www.lamblion.net

wildboar
06-09-2005, 10:22 AM
Is there a BHL module for Bibleworks? I don't see it on my version list or Bomberg or Bomberg Ben Chayyim?

Chuck

Adelphos
06-09-2005, 04:36 PM
Is there a BHL module for Bibleworks?

No, but you can go here --

http://www.christianhospitality.org/benchayyim.htm

and download what is purportedly the Bomberg edition(s)??? I have downloaded several files myself, but I have not had time to examine them, so I can't comment on them as to their representation.

I have found that a lot of people claim that such-and-such is MT, or Ben Chayyim, etc., only to find that they are not really so.

But this site appears to be taking it seriously, so maybe you'll find what you're looking for. I only wish they'd change the colors on that site, as it is terribly hard to read the red text on the black background. It would be much nicer if they made the colors and contrast easier to read.

Mark Langley
06-09-2005, 08:50 PM
Hi Scott,

Email me at mlangley1@cox.net for info on Bomberg/ben Chayyim.

Adelphos
06-09-2005, 08:59 PM
Email me at mlangley1@cox.net for info on Bomberg/ben Chayyim.

Will do, Mark, but it'll be a day or two, as I have had my email shut off for awhile (even though I've still been paying for it :eek: ). I'm going to reinstate it in a day or two, and then I'll email you.

Mark Langley
06-09-2005, 09:26 PM
Will do, Mark, but it'll be a day or two, as I have had my email shut off for awhile (even though I've still been paying for it :eek: ). I'm going to reinstate it in a day or two, and then I'll email you.

Looking forward in hearing from you.

Lord bless.