PDA

View Full Version : Hebrew vowel points shortcut

jkirk
04-10-2005, 06:57 PM
Hello,

I would like to know if there is a short-cut key in BW6 for turning the Hebrew vowel-points display on and off.

(Note that I am referring to the vowels, not the accents. I know that shift-a toggles the accents).

Thank you,
Jim

Joe Fleener
04-11-2005, 09:51 AM
I seem to remember this question being asked before. I believe the answer was no.

If someone else remembers otherwise, let us know.

jdarlack
04-12-2005, 10:26 AM
Unfortunately, this shortcut does not exist...yet. The last I heard, the programmers have put it on their list for future versions. Here's hoping it makes it into 7.0!

Charlie
04-18-2005, 09:58 AM
You can turn off vowel pointing by clicking Tools | Options | Option Flags. Then look under "General Hebrew Options." It's the very first check box. This works for the Targums as well.

I have had an occasional rare individual who wanted to display both the pointed and the unpointed text simultaneously (for his Hebrew class). This is also very easy to do yourself. I just now did it by exporting the WTT without accents or pointing in CCAT format (click Tools | Export Database...). After exporting the file I changed the CAT extension on the file to TXT. Then using the Version Database Compiler I re-compiled the text file as the WOP version (WTT without pointing). Since verse mapping follows the WTT in the OT by default I don't need to bother with a verse mapping.

jdarlack
04-18-2005, 01:49 PM
I would like to know if there is a short-cut key in BW6 for turning the Hebrew vowel-points display on and off.
You can turn off vowel pointing by clicking Tools | Options | Option Flags. Then look under "General Hebrew Options." It's the very first check box.Thanks Charlie, for the info. I may just compile an unpointed text for myself... The other day, however, I was banging my head against my desk trying to remember a short-cut for toggling vowel points (given that typing "a" while the Results Window is in focus will toggle the display of Heb. accents). Unfortunately the bruising on my head was in vain...there is no such short-cut key for toggling vowel pointing! So, I put in the feature request. Hopefully it will come with 7.0!

jakemccarty
05-18-2006, 02:01 PM
Has a shortcut for toggling the vowels been created?

Thanks!
Jake

Philip Brown
05-20-2006, 03:39 PM
'fraid not. I suspect it is a fairly easy thing to do ... squeaky wheel gets the grease.

David Kummerow
05-21-2006, 07:07 PM
'fraid not. I suspect it is a fairly easy thing to do ... squeaky wheel gets the grease.
OK, so I'd also like to place my vote for this feature.

Sometimes when copying-and-pasting from BW to Word, I actually don't want to take the vowel points along (eg in some academic writing it is requested not to use vowel points unless it is exegetically significant). It is easy to remove the accents with the shift+a feature. The same feature for the vowels would be equally valuable and time-saving. To have to go into the "Tools > Options" menu is annoying when it could be achieved efficently by another shift+? key.

Or perhaps there could be an internal macro feature in BW developed that would allow us to to set up hot keys to accomplish predefined routines - eg toggling hebrew vowels?

David Kummerow.

MBushell
05-29-2006, 10:52 AM
I added a toggle to toggle Hebrew vowel points. It will be on the "X" character ("v" is in use). Look for version 14v or later. Not sure when the next post will be - probably a day or two.

Note that you can find a summary of shortcuts by opening hep and doing a search on "shortcut"

Mike

Ben Spackman
05-29-2006, 07:05 PM
This is great! It makes it so easy to practice vocalizing!

Many thanks :D

David Kummerow
05-30-2006, 06:37 PM
Thank you indeed for the addition of this feature. I am very appreciative as it saves time in not having to go to the Tools menu etc.

Thank you!

David Kummerow.