PDA

View Full Version : Problems compiling transliterated Hebrew



jdarlack
04-07-2005, 01:06 PM
According to the Help files, users have permission to modify the transliterate Hebrew that BibleWorks uses (see below):

6. Permission to use and modify the database
000I have deliberately designed the database so that users may introduce systematic changes to the transliteration if they wish. For example, users are free to delete the silent shewas, methegs, accents, and so forth. They can also search and replace characters to adapt the transliteration to a particular style or font.
000I request that if the data is used exactly as is, or with only simple search and replace type operations, or with modifications, that acknowledgment be given in something like the following form:
000"The transliterated Hebrew [used in this book/article/ ...] is from/based on/adapted from/... the Biblical Hebrew Transliterated database (BHT) as produced by Matthew Anstey, copyright 2001."
000No modification of the database may be distributed without the written permission of Matthew Anstey. The database may not be incorporated into any product or publication that will be sold, without the written permission of Matthew Anstey.I have tried just about every combination of settings on the Version Database Compiler for producing a transliterated Hebrew text that does not have any vowels transliterated. Unfortunately, I am running into a brick wall here.

Any ideas?

Charlie
04-18-2005, 01:52 PM
Hi Jim,

I'm not sure what you've tried already, but it seems the simplest method would be to export the BHT (the transliterated BHS in BibleWorks) and then using a text editor search and delete all characters used to represent vowels. Then recompile the text file as a new bible version using the Version Database Compiler.

jdarlack
04-18-2005, 04:53 PM
Thanks Charlie

I figured it out. Now I've put together a consonontal transliterated Hebrew Old Testament. I have it available here (http://bibleworks.oldinthenew.org/twt.zip), if anyone is interested.

I hope to soon put together a macro that will convert this text to the proper Unicode characters once it has been copied into Word.

~Jim