PDA

View Full Version : Way to show number of words per book?

John Parsons
04-06-2005, 01:03 PM
Hello;

Is there a way for BibleWorks to display the total number of Hebrew words for each book of the Old Testament? I want to determinine some frequency information based on the totals for each book (not the entire OT).

Thanks!

- John

almather
04-07-2005, 07:14 AM
John,

I can suggest two ways, and there may be more.

In power mode, the command window has a down pointing arrow, with two lines under it, to its right. Click on that, open "search statistics window". You have the option to see the % (hits in book)/(words in book). This will show the number of words in a book. This gives total of all words in the book, not how many individual words are used.

Another thought, do a wild card search limited to the book and in the version you are interested in ;*. Check the statistics either in the statistic section or in the lower left corner of BW's if you have that activated. Or you could open the word list manger, that will tell you what you are looking for. Actually, if you are looking for the list of words used this is a better way (individual words used), and it will also tell you the total times the words are used.

Hope this is of some help.

Al

John Parsons
04-09-2005, 02:31 AM
Shalom Al,

Thank you very much for taking the time to answer my question. For some reason, however, the ;* search yields results I can't interpret. For example, for Genesis I see: Gen (7.410% 1553 / 20689) in the Search Statistics Window. Is the denominator my word count and the numerator the verse count?

Thank you again, Al.

- John

Philip Brown
04-09-2005, 09:47 AM
Hi, John,

I'm not sure what you mean by 'words.' If you mean lexical forms (aka lemmas), then the best way is to use the word list manager (WLM) and set the limits for the book you are looking at.

For example, in Genesis there are 1756 discrete lexical forms which occur a total of 28,853 times in Genesis. I found this by using the WLM, setting the version to WTM, retaining vowels, limiting the search to Gen, and compiling the list.

Hope that helps.