PDA

View Full Version : Verse maps- 11Q10 (Targum Job) to WTT?

Ben Spackman
04-03-2005, 12:15 AM
Is there a reason why I can't use verse maps to make the fragmentary Qumran targum of Job to the WTT job? I've tried mapping the appropriate wtt verses to QST and vice-versa, with no luck. I've successfully mapped non-biblical versions to the WTT before, so I know how to do it. It jsut doesn't seem to work with QSt. Is there something speical about the QST/QSM that prevents it?

jdarlack
04-03-2005, 03:06 AM
Is there something speical about the QST/QSM that prevents it?Hi Ben,

I know that there are a few issues here. You can't map two different bodies of material together with the Verse Mappings. For instance, I could not map 1 Clement 1:1 to Matthew 1:1, no matter how hard I tried--not that I'd want to. The QST/QSM texts are compiled in a way that's different from the other texts that BibleWorks uses--this had to be done, because the nature of the fragmented texts demands it. A Book Chapter:Verse hierarch does not completely fit the Qumran fragments.
So, is there a solution? Well, for now, I guess you could map things using the Synopsis window... Of course, this would not take care of everything, but it could do in a pinch.

If Mike, or one of the other guys at BibleWorks could figure out a way for folks to map different kinds of texts to each other, that would do the trick, but it's just not possible now...(at least as far as I know...)

Hey, I just noticed that this was my 200th post! Do I get a prize?

Mark Eddy
04-04-2005, 12:45 AM
There are also some Qumran sections that could be mapped to the Pseudepigrapha of the Old Testament user database on Jim's web page. But as far as I know BW isn't yet geared to mapping non-biblical texts (like the Qumran database) to biblical texts. There are problems in mapping even if you have the same non-biblical texts in two different databases (e.g. Josephus or the Apostolic Fathers). But in a while this mapping capability might get worked into the program.

Christ is risen!
Mark Eddy