PDA

View Full Version : Looking for "one"

MGVH
04-02-2005, 05:27 PM
Before I spend more time than I already have trying to figure this out, I'll see if any of you can help.
In John (e.g., John 17.11), I am trying to locate all the times that the Greek word "one" occurs. That is, I right click on e[n (i.e, the neuter form of e~ij mia e~n) but the results I get back include all the entries for evij (i.e, the preposition "into"). I had to search on Strong's number to get the results I wanted. I also noted that right clicking on hen and Look up lemma in Lexicon Browser brought me to eis instead of heis.
Is this a bug or a limitation of the simple lemma lookup?
Thanks.

Michael Hanel
04-02-2005, 06:21 PM
If I understand you right, I dont think you can do what you want simply by using the right click on the word option because that will allow you to search on form, which apparently searches on en without regard to accentuation or breathing marks which is causing your problem or by lemma which would find all uses of the lemma ei-j. So instead go to the command line and search BGM or the like with .eis@ac?nsn
See if that does what you want

Also, when I went to John 17 and did a lemma look up, it did take me to the right lemma, so I'm not sure why you got sent to eis the preposition...

MGVH
04-02-2005, 11:26 PM
When I do the right click search for lemma, it searches BGM for:
.eij@acnnsn (i.e., eis@acnnsn) and for some reason, that picks up all the eis preposition forms.

What I really want it to be looking for is: .eij@ac??sn (i.e., .eis@ac??sn)

I tried it on my home computer and came up with the same incorrect results as at school.

jarcher
04-03-2005, 01:38 PM
I got the same results (the prep) until I turned on "Search on Greek Versions is Accent Sensitive" under Tools | Options | Option Flags.

I'm not sure if this is right or not.

Peace,

Jeremy

MGVH
04-03-2005, 09:19 PM
You have found it! That did the trick.
Thanks so much! Mark