PDA

View Full Version : Dead Sea Scrolls database

Ben Spackman
03-23-2005, 09:27 AM
In anticipation of my DSS class with Norman Golb, I've unlocked QSM/QST.

I have a few questions with it.

1) It doesn't seem that I can hide the morphology, display the text, but search on the morphology, as with the WTT/WTM. Correct?

2) Is there a list somewhere of the morphology coding? THe automatic morphology feature in the command line doesn't work for QSM (or TAM for that matter. It would be particularly useful for these two since they don't follow the regular and familiar coding schemes.)

3) Is there a list of the special characters used, scuh as the letters with a circle on top, or a period? I think I know, but I'd like to be sure.

Thanks.

jakemccarty
03-23-2005, 10:49 AM
Ben,

I didn't know that you went to the OI! I visited there last month and sat in on a few classes--its a great school, with great people, but I decided to go to Hopkins instead.

I've been wondering about some of the same questions since I'll be taking a DSS class with McCarter next fall.

Plus, does anyone know of an inexpensive resource where I can find the DSS biblical manuscripts in Hebrew?

Ben Spackman
03-23-2005, 11:17 AM
If you're interested in Hebrew Bible, UChicago is not the place to go. We're pretty lacking in that area. Since John Collins and Peter Machinist left, they haven't found a suitable replacement...

On the otherhand, for straight ANE history and languages (ie background to the Hebrew Bible), we're "it" -Mesopotamian studies, Egyptology, Semitics.

Were I starting over, the ideal program for me would probably have been somewhere else, like Harvard's joint Hebrew Bible/Semitic Philology program.

Oh well.

What classes did you sit in on? If you were in Ugaritic, I was probably the guy who came in late and looked harried...

I don't know anywhere to get all the Heb. texts for cheap.

jakemccarty
03-23-2005, 01:39 PM
I can't remember you in the Ugaritic class, but I sat by Joe in the second row.

Do you mean "Jon Levenson?" I believe that Peter Machinist came from Michigan.

Ben Spackman
03-23-2005, 01:42 PM
I thought it was Machinist, but I don't remember, to be honest. Both of the good HB faculty left a few years before I got here.

Mark Eddy
03-23-2005, 02:57 PM
In anticipation of my DSS class with Norman Golb, I've unlocked QSM/QST.

I have a few questions with it.

1) It doesn't seem that I can hide the morphology, display the text, but search on the morphology, as with the WTT/WTM. Correct?

Incorrect. If you have just QST as your display version, you can always right click on a word and "Search on Lemma", and you will be searching QSM but only the QST will be displayed in the results window.

2) Is there a list somewhere of the morphology coding? THe automatic morphology feature in the command line doesn't work for QSM (or TAM for that matter. It would be particularly useful for these two since they don't follow the regular and familiar coding schemes.)

If you have the auto-info window open at the bottom of the results window the decoded morphology coding will be be displayed in the auto-info window whenever you put the cursor over a word in QST or QSM, so you won't have to look up (or memorize) what the coding means.

If I misunderstood your question, please reword your request. I don't know the answer to your third question.

Mark Eddy

Ben Spackman
03-23-2005, 04:03 PM
Actually, rebooting fixed #1 and 2 (though I'd still like to see the morphology aid pop-up for QSM and TAM morphology.)

AS to number 3, the text occasionally has words withing <>, words within {}, words separated by a period. There are also letters with a dot over the top, different from the letters with a circle over the top.

I can guess what some of these mean. But, there ought to be some documentation on it somewhere, and I haven't been able to find it.