PDA

View Full Version : Multi-Language Parallels/Synoptic view

Duncan
03-15-2005, 12:19 AM
I would like to know if there's any way to get Bibleworks to do the following:

. Give me in parallel columns the Hebrew of a verse, the LXX of a verse and the NT of a verse, and for good measure, the NAU of these as well.

While I'm writing, this is probably basic, but I can't figure out how to click on a Greek or Hebrew word and get statistics for the form or the lemma. I want to know, when I click on a word, how many times it is used. How can I do that? Can I get it by both book and the whole Bible easily? Thanks.

Ken Litwak

MGVH
03-15-2005, 10:20 AM
What you want to do, it seems, is set up a Parallel Versions window. (In your request, however, it won't do much good to see parallel LXX and NT.)

Go to Tools, Options, then click on Versions tab.
In the bottom half of the window, click on edit.
ADD the versions you want from each language.
Move them up and down as you want them ordered.
Give a name that is easy to recall. Click OK.

(Make sure you have the Parallel Versions icon in your Buttonbar at the top. It looks like a little grid/table with four windows. If not, use Tools, Options, and then Buttonbar tab to check on the box to include it.)

Now just click on the Parallel Versions icon, and you can open up the parallels you just created.

-----
As for your other questions, set the limits you want (book or Bible, etc.), then right click on a word and do a search on form or lemma. The results will appear in lower left of BW window.

Mark Eddy
03-15-2005, 11:44 AM
There are ways to get LXT and GNT in parallel windows, but it might take a little work.

You can use the Synopsis Tool. Click "Tools" and choose "Synopsis Tool" to see what this looks like. In The Synopsis Tool window click on "File" then "Open." You will see a list of synopsis files.

A number of users have developed synopsis files other than those that ship with BibleWorks (files in the "init" directory ending in .sdf), and they have made them available for download. You can access some of these by going to the Master List Of BW Add-ons Created By Users (http://www.bibleworks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53). There find the link (near the bottom of the page) to Jeff Jackson's home page. He has a section (near the bottom of his home page) called "Synopsis Tables" where you can download a number of .sdf files for BibleWorks. Once you unzip them you'll see one called "jgjotnt.sdf." This contains many OT passages which are quoted or alluded to in the NT. It may be the closest thing to what you are seeking.

A few years ago someone also prepared a synopsis file for OT quotes in Matthew, which (as he set it up) displays the Greek of Matthew, the Hebrew from which it quotes, and the KJV of each. This could easily be edited to display a different English translation and the LXX with the Hebrew. If you are interested I could submit this "Matthew OT Quote.sdf" file to the Master List Of BW Add-ons Created By Users (http://www.bibleworks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53) and you could download it and edit it or add to it.

If somebody has the time it would be great to make a synopsis file that covers all the citations at the back of the Nestle-Aland 27th edition of the Greek NT. But no such synopsis has yet been made available for BibleWorks.
The BW 6.0 Manual explains the Synopsis Dialog on pages 314-316. The latter page tells you how to edit a synopsis list.

Alternatively you could open two parallel versions windows (such as Prof. Hoffman suggested). Here is another way to do this. From the command line type "p wtt lxt nau" and hit enter. You now have three columns for the OT. Then type "p gnt nau" and hit enter. You now have a second parallel versions window (initially the second window will cover up the first, but you can move it in order to see both). You will manually have to find the parallels you want (BW won't do it automatically -- yet), but you could at least see all the verses you want in all the versions you want.

Sorry you may not be able to do exactly what you want yet. But it's a great idea, and others have thought of it also.

Have fun exploring.
Mark Eddy

alan1979
03-15-2005, 04:10 PM
Mark if you could post the Matthew OT quote file for the Synopsis, i would greatly appreciate it.

thanks,
alan

Adelphos
03-15-2005, 04:34 PM
A few years ago someone also prepared a synopsis file for OT quotes in Matthew, which (as he set it up) displays the Greek of Matthew, the Hebrew from which it quotes, and the KJV of each.

I'm the one who made this synopis file. It would probably be good, Mark, if you could put it somewhere where everyone has access to it.

I was also planning to do the same thing for the other three Gospels, but I just don't have the time.

Scott
http://www.lamblion.net

jdarlack
03-16-2005, 10:57 AM
I've posted the synopsis file provided by Scott Jones (Adelphos)

It's available here:

http://bibleworks.oldinthenew.org/matthewotquote.zip

You may want to look at Jeff Jackson's OT in the NT synopsis file:

http://www.jeff-jackson.com/Religion/jgjsynopsis.zip