PDA

View Full Version : Genitive and Dative?

GenRev1611
03-01-2005, 07:05 PM
I seem to be having trouble in my studies of the name vIhsou/ (Jesus) as being "genitive and dative". Is there anything I'm missing here? What is the difference in speech?

Joe Fleener
03-01-2005, 08:54 PM
Yes the Vocative, Dative and Genitive all have the same form.

It is helpful to look @ the prepositons. Of the 93 datives, 57 of them occur with ev, which is followed by the dative.

I am sure there are other similar situations with prepositions.

GenRev1611
03-01-2005, 09:53 PM
That was an awfully fast reply and very encouraging to see this reply. I'm studying greek to make my Bible studies enriching and accurate. Tell me something, do the Vocative, Dative and Genitive all apply to the nouns only? Just thought I'd ask, maybe it'll clear away the "fog" that Dr. Mounce talks about. I'm learning from his book "Basics of Biblical Greek", I'm really learning alot from it so far, though I pray that I'll be more content with what I know while I'm learning. What would you like me to call you Sir? Pastor/Dr. Fleener, or just plain old Joe? Thanks Again.

David

Joe Fleener
03-01-2005, 10:01 PM
Plain old Joe is fine!

Yes, the Vocative, Dative & Genitive only apply to nouns. If you look on pg. 343 of Monce's book you will see a summary of the noun cases. There are five, although Mounce puts Vacative under Nominative.

I am tutoring some through Mounce's book right now, it is a lot of fun.

Enjoy and be encouraged to keep on keeping on, it is worth it.