PDA

View Full Version : How useful is Kittel? Is BibleWorks Comparable?

jcvictory
02-19-2005, 09:53 PM
I see that Logos X has the Theological Dictionary of the New Testament, abridged ("Little Kittel") and Theological Dictionary of the New Testament, unabridged (TDNT).

Does the BibleWorks bundled lexicons allow me to gather similar information that is found in the Kittel's?

Glenn Weaver
02-20-2005, 09:30 AM
Does BW offer what is contained in TDNT? Well, yes and no. It all depends upon your task.

If you are looking simply for word meanings while you interpret a passage, then the BW lexicons offer more than is in TDNT. TDNT only lists significant words--it does not list every word. The newer lexicons, especially BDAG and Friberg, have some advantages over TDNT in that they are looking at more recent finds and not committing some of the fallacies that Barr pointed out in TDNT.

If you are looking at the development of word meaning for significant words, from secular use to Old Testament use and on to NT use, then TDNT is a valuable tool.

It depends upon what your needs are. Most people will be more than served by the BW lexicons. In fact, they will rarely consult TDNT because it is so large. I have TDNT in both print and electronic, but I only look at it for major projects, but almost never for my daily interpretive tasks. It takes too long and yields too little compared to what I already obtain from the more readily-accessible lexicons.

I suggest comparing the lexicons at a local library, if you are able to access one, and see what works best for your needs.