PDA

View Full Version : Printing Parallel Versions

Greg Crawford
02-11-2005, 04:07 AM
I would like to print out the versions I can display in the Parallel versions window, in particular a modern English translation and the Anglo-Saxon one. Is there a way to do this? There does not seem to be a print menu selection for the Parallel Versions Display Tool.

Joe Fleener
02-11-2005, 07:59 AM
You are correct, there is no option to print directly from the Parallel Versions window.

One idea that has been suggested before is to open a document in your word processor, make either a table with two columns or just divide your document into two columns. Then you can copy and pasted the text from the parallel window into you document and print from there.

jdarlack
02-11-2005, 09:17 AM
I do this every week for Sunday School. We have a few Italian folk in our class, so I print out the English and Italian versions side by side on my handouts.
1. I have the two versions that I want to print displayed in the Results window.
2. In the command line, I type the range of verses that I want to display.
3. I select all of the text, and copy & paste to MSWord.
4. I delete any spaces or line breaks between the two paragraphs and replace the space/line breaks with a single tab.
5. I select the resulting paragraph, go to the "Tables" menu in the toolbar and then select Convert-->Text to Table. You should be given the option to create a table with two columns because there is only one tab in the paragraph.
This produces the text in parallel within a table. The table can be resized as needed and lines can be removed as needed.

MGVH
02-11-2005, 04:04 PM
Jim's solution works well... except when working with Hebrew.
In particular, I do not have any easy way of lining up BHS with LXX.
I can cut/paste the Hebrew into MSWord and it looks fine, but to try to do any line breaks or even to paste it into a cell of a table is nigh impossible.

Joe Fleener
02-11-2005, 08:36 PM
Hi Mark,

Have you tried modifying the "Hebrew Line Wrap Width" option? This is found within the copy center by clicking on the "Format Options" button.

It is set to 5 inches by default. It seems like if you set it to something smaller than the width of the columns you will use in Word and then copied then text, it should format into the table correctly.

This is just a guess, I am not in a place to test it write now, but thought it was worth a try.

BTW: It was good meeting you yesterday @ the BW Workshops.

Dale A. Brueggemann
02-11-2005, 09:41 PM
Yes, the Hebrew line-wrap works for pasting into tables for making parallel texts (e.g., MT//LXX//English). Make sure you set it smaller than your table cell's width, and remember that if you're viewing it at 18 points in BW but printing at 12pt like the rest of your MSWord text, you'll get more on a line than it appears from the BW display.

Second suggestion: Paste the text in and don't worry the format until you're done with the whole table; then select the entire column by double-clicking it at the top, and make it BWHeb in one fell swoop. Same for Greek if you're pasting in Greek texts.

Greg Crawford
02-16-2005, 05:05 AM
Thanks to all who offered suggestions for workarounds. Sorry for the delay in acknowledgment. It always takes me a while to work out this web interface.