PDA

View Full Version : Masorah Notes

ugotdave
02-08-2005, 01:29 AM
Does BW have the ability to show the Masorah notes (Masorah magna & Mesorah parva)?

If so, how is the feature turned on?

I have the "Qere" & "Kethid" turned on, but I do not see any difference in the WTT text with this feature off or on.

I looked in the BW Manual and saw that the WTT has the BHS.

I am studying the Mesorah and know very little about it at this point. :confused:

Thank you

David Morris

Joe Fleener
02-08-2005, 07:45 AM
Does BW have the ability to show the Masorah notes (Masorah magna & Mesorah parva)?

No you cannot display the Masorah within BW.

I have the "Qere" & "Kethid" turned on, but I do not see any difference in the WTT text with this feature off or on.

Thank you

David Morris

If you have both qere & kethib turned on then (as an example) navigate to Gen. 13:3.

You will notice that this verse has a qere/kethib reading. Qere are displayed in [], Kethib in ().

Hope this helps.

ugotdave
02-08-2005, 09:25 AM
Thanks Joe -

I wish we had the ability to see the notes. Maybe I will send the suggestion into the BW staff. :)

The challenge would be to know what Masorite notes to use, as I am learning there are many. :confused:

David

Joe Fleener
02-08-2005, 09:39 AM
Thanks Joe -

I wish we had the ability to see the notes. Maybe I will send the suggestion into the BW staff. :)

The challenge would be to know what Masorite notes to use, as I am learning there are many. :confused:

David

From what I understand the notes in the printed texts (i.e. BHS) are under the copyright of the German Bible Society. A bigger issue than knowing which to use is getting the OK from the GBS to use them! :(

ugotdave
02-08-2005, 02:12 PM
Joe - Did the Masorites only make notes for the Torah, or was the whole TaNaCH detailed with the Masorites notes?

Thank you

David Morris

Joe Fleener
02-08-2005, 02:21 PM
Hi David,

Here is a book I would highly recommend:

Kelley, Page H., Daniel S. Mynatt & Timothy G. Crawford. The Masorah of Biblia Hebraica Stuttgartensia. Grand Rapids: Eerdmans , 1998.

Also if you do not own a copy of the BHS I would recommend getting one. You can get a paperback copy now, so the price is a bit better than it used to be.

You will see that there are Masorah "notes" for the entire Hebrew Scriptures.

ugotdave
02-08-2005, 03:19 PM
Thank you Joe, going to amazon.com right now! :)

David Morris

paterdr
02-19-2005, 12:03 PM
To ugotdave and Joe,

Sorry about this late note on your discussion.

- As you may already know, the Pontifical Biblical Institute in Rome did reprint Weil's first - and only completed - BHS supplement volume dealing with his emended version of the "big" masorah. See below.

- I have used BW for years to do searches on the masoretic notes in BHS. It's fun and useful, and some times will "stretch" your ASE abilities

Important bibliography which I'd consider essential:
- Israel Yeivin, Introduction to the Tiberian Masorah, translated and edited by E. J. Revell (Chicago: Scholars Press, 1980).

- Gérard Weil, Massorah Gedolah. Juxta codicem Leningradesem B 19. Seconda editio (Rome: Insitut Biblique Pontifical 2001). I think you should still be able to get this from the PIB. Be careful: I've seen copies of this on some "antique" book sellers' sites for outrageous prices.

Furthermore, the first fascicle of the BHQ is now published, the Megilloth ("5 festival scrolls" = Ruth, Canticles, Qoheleth, Lamentations, Esther) has been published by the Deutsche Bibelgesellschaft http://www.dbg.de/shop/index.php?Content=produktdetail&ID=5837

Lastly, if you want/need any "fellowship" in your use of the masorah, I'd be happy to help or tag along. You can contact me off-forum at paterdr@hotmail.com

Dan Pater

Joe Fleener
02-19-2005, 02:49 PM
Dan,

Thank you for all the information. Very helpful.

ugotdave
02-19-2005, 06:24 PM
Dan -

I thank you as well, I may take you up on your offer to "want/need fellowship".

David