PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for future development

Charlie
04-02-2004, 05:50 PM
This thread is dedicated to discussing various ideas people have for the future development of BibleWorks. BibleWorks staff do occasionally read this thread but the purpose of the thread is discussion among users. If you want to formally submit a suggestion, click here (http://www.bibleworks.com/ideas.html).

wezlo
04-02-2004, 06:44 PM
OK, so you've got a thread that will allow me to continually ask for a linux port..... cool!

wezlo
04-02-2004, 06:47 PM
OK gang, I've suggested this in the past; but I really think it would be a benefit to BW. Drop the rtf-based file format for the editor and adopt OpenOffice.org's zipped XML-based format. The files are smaller and more robust, and you'd not have to worry about M$ breaking the format.
Here's the link of the site: http://xml.openoffice.org/

Dan Phillips
04-02-2004, 10:16 PM
If I get to make a wish list for additional versions, it would include:

Holman Christian Standard Bible
Modern Language Bible
Rotherham Emphasized Bible
And now... you know that!

Dan

Gontroppo
04-03-2004, 04:22 AM
I would love to have electronic copies [in BW] of
The Good News Bible
J B Phillips
The Revised English Bible
TNIV [coming out in print in February 05?]

David McKay

wezlo
04-03-2004, 08:49 AM
I would love to have electronic copies [in BW] of
The Good News Bible
J B Phillips
The Revised English Bible
TNIV [coming out in print in February 05?]

I've read almost all the TNIV NT, it's actually pretty nice. Last I heard BW was not pursuing having it because Zondervan is a bear to work with license-wise.

I'd like to see the God's Word Translation included, it's pretty nice and the publishers are REALLY open to allowing electronic publishers to include the translation free of charge.

www.godsword.org

Michael Burer
04-03-2004, 09:46 AM
It would be helpful to have a way to change font sizes in the results window on the fly. This comes from using BW in the classroom: When I'm at my desk, I don't need Greek to be 24 pt font, but when I take the laptop into the classroom, I do. Right now, the only way I know to change the font is to open up the font dialog box, change the font size, then restart. I would much prefer to have a button or keyboard shortcut which will change the font right then and there without a restart.

Michael Burer
Dallas THeological Seminary

Kevin Ahronson
04-03-2004, 10:54 AM
If I could change one thing about Bibleworks :rolleyes: ...I would add hyperlinks from all the subsidiary windows, ie: dictionaries, lexicons and all the user notes.

When everything else is so lightning fast, it's a shame that we still have to type in Bible references manually.

If it works for the NET Bible notes, why not everything else?

Grace and peace

Philip Brown
04-03-2004, 12:44 PM
Hi, Michael,

I know the BW dialog says you have to restart BW for font changes to be implemented, but it's not true. :) The truth is if, after resetting the font size, move the Results Window verse up or down one verse, you will automatically get the new font size you desire.

I've used this in the classroom and never had the program blink.

Philip Brown

MGVH
04-03-2004, 12:46 PM
I second the proposal to have an easier/quicker way to change font size in the results window. I also use BW hooked up to projection. I need at least 24pt for display purposes, but I want to quickly change back to 12pt when working on my own.
Thanks.
Mark

tcblack
04-03-2004, 12:57 PM
OK gang, I've suggested this in the past; but I really think it would be a benefit to BW. Drop the rtf-based file format for the editor and adopt OpenOffice.org's zipped XML-based format. The files are smaller and more robust, and you'd not have to worry about M$ breaking the format.
Here's the link of the site: http://xml.openoffice.org/
Great idea!
I'd also want to be able to generate HOTLINKS in the editor. They should be linkable to BW internally and to the Web Externally. How about embedding graphics? There are times when it would be very useful (Right now I just paste the file path in and have to load it seperately.

I'm not sure about the current state of OLE or whatever it's called now, but I wish the editor were somehow more robust. If that means giving us the ability to "embed" our current wordprocessor (possible?) or to completely take the FREE and opensource code from Openoffice.org (http://openoffice.org)'s writer and bend it to work the way we want it to - including the import export filters that would allow us to save in any format we wanted.

jdarlack
04-03-2004, 02:43 PM
...giving us the ability to "embed" our current wordprocessor (possible?)....I would love to see this feature! Often, while I am typing a research paper, I am continually switching between windows. Call me a post-modern, impatient 20-something pseudo-scholar, but I get tired of having to switch all the time. Even if one could "blank out" the editor window so that one could shrink one's word processor screen enough to work without jumping around windows, I would be delited! Otherwise, I will be forced to buy another monitor so that I can run two programs at the same time without switching or squinting! :)

I love the new hyperlinked auto info window. The fact that if I jump to another hyperlinked text it gives me a new window is quite handy, because I don't have to figure out where I last left off. Could such a feature be added to the hyperlinks in the lexicon browser (LB) or is there something I am missing. When one hits a hyperlink in the LB, the window changes and there is no "back" button to help out.

Also: Could hyperlinks be added to the front-matter for the abbreviations used in the various dictionaries/lexicons? It would be helpful to see who is being referred to in HALOT's and BDAG's entries for the sake of quicker research.

Boy have I gotten spoiled!

MBushell
04-03-2004, 05:02 PM
What Philip says is true. Font changes in the word lists do require exiting the program though. Hence the message.

Mike

Ivo Fasiori
04-04-2004, 03:48 AM
http://www.bibleworks.com/forums/images/icons/icon2.gif I believe it would be useful to have in BW
a Septuagint grammar, linked to Rahlf's text.

I'm thinking to Conybear's grammar, already
in public domain.

You can find the scanned pages at the CCEL
site:
http://www.ccel.org/c/conybeare/greekgrammar/htm/TOC.htm

I don't remember any other Septuagint grammar in the public
domain, at least in English (Helbing's grammar is in German!).

Ivo

TFJ
04-04-2004, 10:35 AM
Greetings. Regarding the Tools / Text Comparison Settings feature, is it possible to export / copy several verses, say Gen. 1:10-2:5, from several versions, say from the ESV, RSV, and NRSV, with the differences highlighted? This can be done in individual verse blocks, of course, but I was wondering if this could be done in ranges of verses or even entire chapters. If not, this would be a nice feature to add to future updates because it is interesting to see, for example, how the ESV and NRSV revised the RSV.

kpurcell
04-04-2004, 04:13 PM
I've read almost all the TNIV NT, it's actually pretty nice. Last I heard BW was not pursuing having it because Zondervan is a bear to work with license-wise.

I'd like to see the God's Word Translation included, it's pretty nice and the publishers are REALLY open to allowing electronic publishers to include the translation free of charge.

www.godsword.org (http://www.godsword.org)
I'd like to add a requestion for the Holman Christian Standard Bible from Broadman Holman.

Philip Brown
04-04-2004, 07:51 PM
I was just looking at the parable of the sower in gospels.sdf. It would be nice if BW could, on the fly, highlight in different colors the differences between parallel texts. The user could choose which gospel (whatever is being compared) to set as the 'base' text. When a word differered from the base text, it would be highlighted with whatever color the user chose for that gospel. When two gospels agree against the base, the agreement would be highlighted with whatever gospel color is compared after the base (in my example, Mark).

In this example Matt is the base (orange), Mark next (red), Luke last (green).

For example:

Mat 13:3 ... VIdou. evxh/lqen o` spei,rwn tou/ spei,reinÅ
Mar 14:3 ... ivdou. evxh/lqen o` spei,rwn spei/raiÅ
Luk 8:5 ... VExh/lqen o` spei,rwn tou/ spei/rai to.n spo,ron auvtou/Å

Perhaps it would be nice to have the option to configure the Text comparison tool to highlight where all the compared texts AGREE, where two or more agree, and material that is unique. In that my example would look like this. Orange = all agree, 2 or more agreement marked by the color of the first gospel. Matt = Blue; Mark = Red; unique material = Green.

Matthew 13:3 kai. evla,lhsen auvtoi/j polla. evn parabolai/j le,gwn( VIdou. evxh/lqen o` spei,rwn tou/ spei,reinÅ
Mark 4:3 VAkou,eteÅ ivdou. evxh/lqen o` spei,rwn spei/raiÅ
Luke 8:5 VExh/lqen o` spei,rwn tou/ spei/rai to.n spo,ron auvtou/Å kai. evn tw/| spei,rein auvto.n o] me.n e;pesen para. th.n o`do.n kai. katepath,qh( kai. ta. peteina. tou/ ouvranou/ kate,fagen auvto,Å

Since having all this highlighting can be visually disorienting, the user ought to be able to choose 1 or more of the comparison features associated with Agreement vs. Disagreement comparison. For example, in the above example, I would choose to highlight only ALL agree, and 2 or more agree, yielding:

Matthew 13:3 kai. evla,lhsen auvtoi/j polla. evn parabolai/j le,gwn( VIdou. evxh/lqen o` spei,rwn tou/ spei,reinÅ
Mark 4:3 VAkou,eteÅ ivdou. evxh/lqen o` spei,rwn spei/raiÅ
Luke 8:5 VExh/lqen o` spei,rwn tou/ spei/rai to.n spo,ron auvtou/Å kai. evn tw/| spei,rein auvto.n o] me.n e;pesen para. th.n o`do.n kai. katepath,qh( kai. ta. peteina. tou/ ouvranou/ kate,fagen auvto,Å

This example also brings up the need for the Text Comparison feature to be able to cross verse boundaries. Luke 8:5 = Matt 13:3-4 = Mark 4:3-4.
If the Text Comparison feature couldn't cross verse boundaries, the second sentence in Luk 8:5 would be regarded as unique, when it really isn't.

samuelholder
04-04-2004, 08:51 PM
while we're at it, it would be great if bw would create an update with the 'believer's study bible' by criswell.

jdarlack
04-04-2004, 09:50 PM
I heartily concur with Philip Brown! What an excellent idea! I have toyed with doing such a comparison on my own using the word list generator. There, I would generate a list of words from one text and compare it to the word list of another text. I would then do a limited search of ONLY the two texts using the list of words COMMON to both texts as an inclusion list. Then all vocabulary that is similar in both texts is highlighted.

Here's an example of the results with Isa 40:6-8 & 1Pet 1:24-25 that proves the method potentially helpful (I marked the words that were not directly involved with the quote in blue. The red words are the common vocab, the black words reveal the differences in Peter's quote of Isaiah):

Isaiah 40:6-8 fwnh. le,gontoj bo,hson kai. ei=pa ti, boh,sw
pa/sa sa.rx co,rtoj kai. pa/sa do,xa avnqrw,pou w`j a;nqoj co,rtou
evxhra,nqh o` co,rtoj kai. to. a;nqoj evxe,pesen
to. de. r`h/ma tou/ qeou/ h`mw/n me,nei eivj to.n aivw/na

1 Peter 1:24-25 dio,ti

pa/sa sa.rx w`j co,rtoj kai. pa/sa do,xa auvth/j w`j a;nqoj co,rtou\

evxhra,nqh o` co,rtoj kai. to. a;nqoj evxe,pesen\

to. de. r`h/ma kuri,ou me,nei eivj to.n aivw/naÅ

tou/to de, evstin to. r`h/ma to. euvaggelisqe.n eivj u`ma/jÅ

The problem of course, is that this does not take into account word order! So, when all of this said and done, it would be just as easy to visibly compare the two texts!

So, Philip Brown's idea remains the answer!

Excellent suggestion!

Ben Spackman
04-05-2004, 11:09 PM
Once the links get activated in all the lexicons, notes, etc. I'd like to know how to add links to Biblical texts, user-texts (like Apostolic Fathers, etc), and lexicons in the notes of our own compiled versions.

Michael Hanel
04-06-2004, 04:36 PM
While the new vocab tool is quite handy, the one thing that could make it cooler is if it were possible to compile a list of vocab so that they weren't necessarily ordered by how many times they were used or within a given book, but if they were sorted by cognate or root. I know there are a number of books out there for both Hebrew and Greek that do just this, but if there were a way to compile that list to be able to get that into the vocab program that would make the vocabulary tool even more valuable in my opinion.

michael hanel
student in
Concordia Seminary, MDiv
Washington University, MA Classics

ddyke
04-06-2004, 09:43 PM
Currently we are doing Coneybeare's LXX GRAMMAR

Dan

www.dabar.org (http://www.dabar.org/)

jdarlack
04-06-2004, 10:54 PM
Is there a way to create a hyperlink within the notes of a text compiled with the Version Database Compiler?

If there isn't, this would be a nice addition!

If there is...how?

...vocab tool...sorted by cognate or root...
I think Michael's idea is great. Perhaps a vocab list arranged by semantic field would be helpful as well (or would one just need to cover up half the screen when browsing Louw-Nida?)

Ben Spackman
04-06-2004, 11:15 PM
[QUOTE=jdarlack]Is there a way to create a hyperlink within the notes of a text compiled with the Version Database Compiler?

If there isn't, this would be a nice addition!

If there is...how?

This is what I meant above. I really second this. "Once the links get activated in all the lexicons, notes, etc. I'd like to know how to add links to Biblical texts, user-texts (like Apostolic Fathers, etc), and lexicons in the notes of our own compiled versions."

Ivo Fasiori
04-07-2004, 04:30 AM
Of course, we have already (almost) all the O.T. Apocrypha in
LXX and in some Bible translations, but it would be useful
to have also at least some Pseudepigrapha.

A partial list is available at the URL:
http://ccat.sas.upenn.edu/~humm/Resources/Texts/otPseud.html

And you can find the "classic" Charles texts at the URL:
http://wesley.nnu.edu/noncanon/pseude.htm
http://www.ccel.org/c/charles/otpseudepig/index.html

The problem is still to find all greek (or latin, etc.) originals...

A big THANK YOU to James Darlack for posting the greek text of 1 Enoch
and for providing so many resources! http://www.bibleworks.com/forums/images/icons/icon14.gif

Ivo

alcantley
04-09-2004, 09:45 AM
I think a semantic domain dictionary for the Hebrew to complement Louw-Nida would be a critical addition to BW. It is keyed to the Louw-Nida semantic domain scheme.

Swanson, J. (1997). Dictionary of Biblical Languages with Semantic Domains : Hebrew (Old Testament)

Blessings,

Al Cantley

bcollins
04-09-2004, 05:59 PM
Two suggestions:
I’d like to have a toggle that will switch between the verse by verse view and a poetry/paragraph view (I’d especially like to see this in WTT and ESV).

I’d also like to have a way to add verses to the verse list in the command center from the command line. Perhaps a command like <c Rom 8:28; Eph 1:9; 3:15; John 6:18> could result in having those verses added to the command center. Perhaps a command like <c c> could clear the command center verse list.

When a commentary gives a long list of references supporting a point, I currently open up the verse list manager, enter the verses one verse at a time, export the list to the command center. I’d love to be able to do this from the command line.

Thanks,
Brian

Ben Spackman
04-12-2004, 12:30 PM
This would be fairly easy, I think. I'm trying to spend 15 minutes a day reading through Greek and Hebrew before I get on to my other studies. Problem is, I can never remember where I left off, since I finish my reading and then jump to whatever else I'm studying in BW. Would it be possible to make a "bookmark" function, where you can save your current chapter and verse in a nameable list?

I'm reading through exodus right now. Say I finish Exodus 10:15. I click something like "Add Bookmark" and it remembers Exodus 10:15, and I could rename it to "Reading Hebrew".

Open BW, load bookmark, and it takes you back to Exo. 10:15.

Charlie
04-12-2004, 01:01 PM
...I'm reading through exodus right now. Say I finish Exodus 10:15. I click something like "Add Bookmark" and it remembers Exodus 10:15, and I could rename it to "Reading Hebrew".

Open BW, load bookmark, and it takes you back to Exo. 10:15.
You can use the "Configuration Manager" to do this same thing.
1. First enable the CM by clicking Tools>Options and go to the "Option Flags" tab. Under "Startup Options" check off "Enable CM".
2. Restart BibleWorks and the first thing you'll see is the CM. Click "New" and name the new configuration something like "Hebrew Reading".
3. Only use this configuration for your Hebrew reading and you'll always open up right where you left off. When you want to do some study (not your reading) then restart BibleWorks and choose a different configuration.

Charlie

Michael Burer
04-14-2004, 11:58 AM
I would like to suggest that BibleWorks add another French version if possible. It is La Bible du Semeur. The version I am familiar with is La Bible d'étude: Version Semeur 2000, Editions Excelsis 2001. This particular version is a study bible with generous notes, introductory essays, etc. I imagine the format would be similar to the NET Bible in that the notes would go into the auto-info window. There may be other BW users familiar with this version that have a different opinion, but my opinion is that it is a good translation and that the notes are quite helpful.

This Bible was produced under the auspices of the International Bible Society. The copyright page of my text indicates that the Colorado Springs office would handle any permissions requests.

Michael Burer
Dallas Theological Seminary

jdarlack
04-15-2004, 05:05 PM
Most style manuals require one to italicize any transliterated words. Is there a way to set the transliterated Hebrew text in BibleWorks as automatically italicized?

If there is not, then could such a feature be added?

~Jim

ScottVB
04-15-2004, 11:35 PM
Hello, all...

How about adding support for Unicode so that we can copy Greek and Hebrew text directly from BW into a word processor document (and not get unreadable gibberish)?

Charlie
04-19-2004, 10:21 AM
Hello, all...

How about adding support for Unicode so that we can copy Greek and Hebrew text directly from BW into a word processor document (and not get unreadable gibberish)?
Scott,

The Greek and Hebrew text should paste fine into any word processor. Can you describe what you are getting instead?

Does the Greek and Hebrew below appear on your computer?

#r<a'h' taew> ~yIm;V'h; tae ~yhil{a/ ar"B' tyviarEB. WTT Genesis 1:1

BGT Genesis 1:1 evn avrch/| evpoi,hsen o` qeo.j to.n ouvrano.n kai. th.n gh/n

Also, regarding Unicode see:
http://www.bibleworks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120

Charlie

frankenfro
04-20-2004, 12:35 PM
As a good NT greek student, i like to just sit and read the GNT, but i'm still working on my vocab. I'm reading Gal right now, and while i know that i can make the vocab flash cards specific to Gal, i dont need to see every word, nor do i want to take the time to go through every word and turn them on/off if i know them or not. I'd like the option to flag words (right-click, "Flag for Vocab" or something like that) as i'm reading through the text to be saved in a seperate file or so, like "My Vocab Words" so i can review those in particular without having to see or comb through all the others i already know.

pastorsteve
04-20-2004, 02:16 PM
The Samaritan Pentateuch might be a helpful addition for textual study.

Steve

Bennett B. Wethered
04-21-2004, 11:08 AM
I have a minor request, a little 'tweak,' if you will. When I have the Version Notes On option on, and I wish to see 1sa 20.12-42 (as I just did), I type it into the Command Line, and the passage apperas in the Results Window. I then realize, 'Oops, I don't want those Version Notes on,' and I click the note icon to turn the note feature off, and.....I no longer have the whole chosen passage in the Results Window, but only the first verse of the section chosen.:eek: Where's the rest of my chosen passage?
Could the program be 'tweaked' so that turning off the version notes doesn't 'mess' with the passage in the Results Window. - Thank you so much.

wolga
04-22-2004, 08:20 PM
Hello Bibleworks staff,

are there planned to make any Greek-German and Hebrew-German Lexicon modules available in Bible Works ?

For example:

BDAG is the American Version of Walter Bauer's "Wörterbuch zu den Schriften des Neuen Testaments" (German version)

Is HALOT in German version available in further BW releases too ? (The names of the authors indicate that HALOT is originally in german !)

God bless you !

Wolfgang

jdarlack
04-23-2004, 10:40 AM
Thanks Charlie for your helpful FAQ post regarding BibleWorks and unicode (http://www.bibleworks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120). As long as BW is using BWGRKL, I will continue to us regular fonts!

In anticipation of converting to unicode, I do have a question:

Will the various diacritical marks used for transliteration of Semitic languages be supported by unicode characters along with the Greek and Hebrew when the conversion takes place? I am interested in this because I am one who likes to use a serif font, like Times New Roman or Palatino, etc., rather than a "sans serif" font like Arial. But if I change my fonts in the auto info window, it does not change the transliterated words that are in "BWDICT" to a "serif" font. This issue comes over slightly to the transliteration font use for the BHT as well. If one cuts and pastes from the BHT into a term paper with Times New Roman fonts, there is a slight (albeit very slight) difference between the fonts. If unicode support of characters used for transliterating Hebrew and (possibly Greek in the future) was achieved, it may make typsetting a bit easier.

~Jim

Charlie
04-23-2004, 11:34 AM
Hello Bibleworks staff,

are there planned to make any Greek-German and Hebrew-German Lexicon modules available in Bible Works ?

Wolfgang,

Yes, this is something that has been suggested many times. Both lexicons are on the list.

Charlie

Charlie
04-23-2004, 11:40 AM
Will the various diacritical marks used for transliteration of Semitic languages be supported by unicode characters along with the Greek and Hebrew when the conversion takes place?

Jim,

The idea with Unicode is that every font will have every character used by every language, so yes, characters used in transliteration would also have to be present. I'm not sure however, if all of the bugs have been worked out with Unicode. Perhaps someone else on the list can jump in and offer more info.

Charlie

Glenn Weaver
04-23-2004, 11:47 AM
Would it be possible to add an entry to either the context menu or the configuration button of the Ouline display window to export the current display window content to the editor or to the clipboard?

I know that I can use the Bible Ouline dialogue box to export an entries or entries I wish, but this requires an extra window on the desktop, it takes a number of steps if I open it each time, and it requires that I type the entry.

A single click on a menu option "Copy current outline entry to editor" or "Copy current outline entry to clipboard" would be much faster.

Thanks!

Glenn Weaver

chiefplt
04-23-2004, 12:35 PM
Is it in the plans to allow including the Grammar References in the Report Generator? It is very helpful to be able to include Lexicon entries for each word as you generate a report - it would be a great addition to be able to include any references made in unlocked Grammar References in the report. So if I were doing a report on a range of 10 verses, any references made to those verses in the Grammar References would be included in the report.

pastor-steve
04-25-2004, 05:29 AM
I couldn't agree with this request more. This was the first thing I checked when I got the new BibleWorks, and it's the only thing about BibleWorkd that drives me crazy. In fact I've requested it before versions 5 and 6. Other people on the former e-mail list agreed too.

I used to specialize in human-computer interfaces, and typing in a range of verses like Acts:9:1-6 and then doing something like adding a display version only to find that BibleWorks decides to display only Acts 9:1 is a clear violation of reasonable user expactations. A user's only recourse it to retype somethign BibleWorks should have remembered in the first place.

Somehow the importance of this must not be clear. This happens to me all the time as I want to look at another version or come back to something I was looking at later. Verse ranges don't even show up in the history. Imagine if clicking the back button in your web browser threw away 90% of the web page you wanted to go back to...

Please, please, please consider fixing this... I love everything else about the program, but this makes me nuts. :(

Thank you!

Steve Whitney, 3 time BibleWorks purchaser

I have a minor request, a little 'tweak,' if you will. When I have the Version Notes On option on, and I wish to see 1sa 20.12-42 (as I just did), I type it into the Command Line, and the passage apperas in the Results Window. I then realize, 'Oops, I don't want those Version Notes on,' and I click the note icon to turn the note feature off, and.....I no longer have the whole chosen passage in the Results Window, but only the first verse of the section chosen.:eek: Where's the rest of my chosen passage?
Could the program be 'tweaked' so that turning off the version notes doesn't 'mess' with the passage in the Results Window. - Thank you so much.

Dale A. Brueggemann
04-25-2004, 10:13 AM
Steve Whitney laments: "typing in a range of verses like Acts:9:1-6 and then doing something like adding a display version only to find that BibleWorks decides to display only Acts 9:1 is a clear violation of reasonable user expactations.... Imagine if clicking the back button in your web browser threw away 90% of the web page you wanted to go back."

Indeed. When I think of it, I also would probably rate this my number-one complaint with BibleWorks. The analogy on the browser's back-button is most appropriate.

Dale A. Brueggemann
04-25-2004, 10:19 AM
I really have to agree when M. Burer says, "When I'm at my desk, I don't need Greek to be 24 pt font, but when I take the laptop into the classroom, I do.... I would much prefer to have a button or keyboard shortcut which will change the font right then and there without a restart."

Dale A. Brueggemann
04-25-2004, 10:24 AM
I love the new vocabulary flashcard module. I just used it to collate all the Hebrew vocabulary that occurs >5 times in the OT that's also found in Joel or Micah; that was the stuff of some vocabulary quizzes for Hebrew exegesis course in those books. Great! :)

Too bad I had to export it to Excel to get it to print correctly though. Neither the flash cards nor review sheets print properly for me yet. I've tried on both my HP 2100 Laser, and my printer when I'm on the road (Canon BJC-85), and it fails to format correctly on either of them. :eek:

jdarlack
04-25-2004, 07:17 PM
Could a feature be made that would allow one to define verse limits not only by Book, Chapter and Verse, but also by Number of words from the beginning of the verse?

If this could be done, then something like the current "Text Comparison" tool could be used to compare two passages that have been carefully defined. Often it is relatively easy to find the exact limits of a NT author's quotation of an Old Testament verse, or a Prophet's quotation of the Pentateuch. If the verse limits could be defined to the detail mentioned above, then two pericopes could be compared for both similar vocabulary AND word order using the "Least Common Substring" method of the Text Comparison Tool.

Just an idea...

Waldemar
04-26-2004, 08:36 AM
It would be very helpful to have some way of indicating page numbers in the electronic edition of (for instance) BDAG which would match the print edition. This would make it much easier to cite in a standardized manner. Yes, I do verify things (trust but verify), but this would be helpful.

jdarlack
04-26-2004, 10:32 AM
Too bad I had to export it to Excel to get it to print correctly though. Neither the flash cards nor review sheets print properly for me yet. I've tried on both my HP 2100 Laser, and my printer when I'm on the road (Canon BJC-85), and it fails to format correctly on either of them. :eek:
Hi Dale (I'm a former student of Malcolm Brubaker, and I think we met at ETS a few years ago when it was in Danvers, Mass.). I just saw your post, and I noticed that if I printed the vocab review sheet to a PDF file, it worked. You may have to have the full version of Adobe Acrobat for it to work. The review sheet printed normally as well with my printer.

What operating system are you running?

~Jim

Bennett B. Wethered
04-26-2004, 01:10 PM
Michael, Charlie, et al - Should we 'Junior Members' (other than working for BibleWorks, what would not make us Junior?) assume that you guys are reviewing these "Ideas for future development," and will be implementing some of the suggestions by and by (hint, hint), not waiting for BW7? As one who has posted a suggestion that elicited some positive response, I was curious.

Charlie
04-26-2004, 05:06 PM
Michael, Charlie, et al - Should we 'Junior Members' (other than working for BibleWorks, what would not make us Junior?) assume that you guys are reviewing these "Ideas for future development," and will be implementing some of the suggestions by and by (hint, hint), not waiting for BW7? As one who has posted a suggestion that elicited some positive response, I was curious.
Hi Bennet,

Yes, we do read all of the ideas posted here and those sent in via ideas@bibleworks.com. Suggestions are ranked by priority (our call) and then implemented in that order. Sometimes Mike decides to include a new feature in a free update, but generally new features have to wait for the new version. Don't be discouraged if your idea doesn't get implemented quickly. It may truly be a great idea, but there may be even greater ideas on the list ahead of it. Keep the suggestions coming though; we do appreciate all of your feedback.

Charlie

Charlie
04-26-2004, 05:12 PM
It would be very helpful to have some way of indicating page numbers in the electronic edition of (for instance) BDAG which would match the print edition. This would make it much easier to cite in a standardized manner. Yes, I do verify things (trust but verify), but this would be helpful.
Waldemar,

The entry numbers should match in any version of BDAG. This is the most reliable method of citation since the page number will be different for every format.

Charlie

frankenfro
04-28-2004, 05:22 PM
Wow, i learned a lot from the WLM video and the WLM is quite a powerful tool. I did a list of words found exclusively in the KJV not in the NIV. Very cool tool. Seems to have nearly limitless potential. Wanna know what words Paul uses that neither the LXX or rest of NT uses? This can do it and i'm amazed. God bless the guy on the video, but it would've helped if his kids weren't crying in the background. That was a bit distracting, if not also humorous.

Gontroppo
04-28-2004, 05:55 PM
I *like* the little human touches in the videos, such as hearing someone preparing a meal in the next room. I have never found them to be so intrusive, you can't follow what the video is about.

David McKay

MTan
04-30-2004, 09:11 AM
You'll be happy to know that the children have stopped crying and the dinner was very tasty! :)

MGVH
04-30-2004, 09:29 AM
The Copy Center is a beautiful thing, but I have a suggestion that would help me.
The default behavior is that the copy center will copy, using the versions that are in your active display versions.
This is often okay, but I have mine display set up so that I can easily switch between OT/Hebrew; NT/Greek; Apostolic Fathers, etc, so when I go to the Copy Center, it wants to copy all those versions. Often, if my current focus version is not what I am actually wanting to copy, it will return a verse not in range error response.
SO, I am suggesting that Copy Center be set up to function more independently. In particular, I would like to be able to designate a number of versions as a group and be able to pick the group from a list rather than having to go into the complete versions selection list each time.
(This would be similar, then, to the kind of flexibility we have in setting up Parallel Versions groups.)
Thanks.
Mark

Bennett B. Wethered
04-30-2004, 10:35 PM
I'm confused and intrigued. What is the WLM (I'm sure that when I see the answer, it will have been obvious) and what is its video, during which wonderful family meal and kinder sound effects can be heard? It sure sounds worth seeing and hearing.

jdarlack
05-01-2004, 09:04 AM
The WLM is the "Word List Manager"---This is quite a helpful tool, as it does just what it says, it helps you keep track of lists of words. You can then use entire lists to do searches, rather than just single words or single morphologies, etc. Here's a description from the Help File:

The Word List Manager (WLM) is a major new addition to BibleWorks that provides unique and powerful new capabilities for textual analysis. It is a replacement of the Word Frequency List Generator in previous versions of BibleWorks, but adds a great many new features. It can function by itself or import Word Lists from other parts of the program like the Advanced Search Engine or the Command Center. Some of the things that you can do with the WLM are as follows:

You can generate a word frequency list of all the words that occur in a Bible Version or in any range of verses in a Bible Version.
You can count and list all words found as a result of Command Center or ASE searches.
You can save group of words from one query and plug them into another query.
You can compare the differences between two word lists.
You can perform Boolean operations of word lists from different verse ranges (e.g. find all words that occur in John that do not occur anywhere else in the New Testament).
You can generate a "Lexicon" based on the words in the frequency/hits list.
~Jim

arggem
05-01-2004, 01:41 PM
My primary display version set up contains English, Spanish, Greek and Hebrew. I realize that I can change the book names file, and have done so. I have an English version, and a Spanish version. My problem is that I work in both English and Spanish on a daily, if not simultaneous, basis.

If I activate my Spanish .bna, Spanish names show up in in my English versions (and vice-versa). Therefore, when looking at my results window, no matter which .bna I have selected, there are linguistic incongruities. Switching back and forth between English and Spanish .bna's doesn't solve the problem, since both are displayed at the same time.
This would only be a nuisance that I could live with, except I frequently EXPORT both languages at once. The book names are always wrong for one language.
So...I'd like to have a language specific .bna option...All English language versions, use English.bna, all spanish versions automatically use Spanish.bna etc.

How bout it Mike?

Gary

P.S. Greek and Hebrew versions present other complications. Since I don't REALLY know Greek or Hebrew, I want the booknames to display in a language I speak (i.e. English or Spanish). HOWEVER, sometimes I want to EXPORT Greek/Hebrew for an English reading audience and sometimes for a Spanish audience. So...I want to have multiple options for each language. Maybe that means I just have the option to specify which .bna a version uses...with an on-the-fly ability to change it easily upon export.

Edit: Sorry for the bad formatting. Not sure what happened.

RuthAdar
05-02-2004, 04:14 AM
The various software products I use in Hebrew are making me a little crazy. The Bar-Ilan Responsa program uses a standard Israeli keyboard.

Davkawriter Platinum (a Hebrew/English wordprocessor) offers two keyboard map options for typists, in addition to a point'n'click arrangement. The first keyboard map is the Israeli layout (which I tried to learn and which drove me nuts) but they offer the option of toggling to a "phonetically" mapped keyboard, which I like a lot. It was quick to learn and I'm now nearly as rapid a typist in Hebrew as in English.

Any chance of getting a similar mapping option on Bibleworks? Otherwise, no complaints and it is hard to imagine what would make it more wonderful.

David Kummerow
05-04-2004, 02:10 AM
Hi,

Just something quick re diagramming module.

Being able to insert lines and curves with arrowheads into a diagram is great. However, the module only allows one end of the curve/line to have an arrowhead. It would be better to have the choice of being able to have an arrowhead optionally on either end. This would allow for greater flexibility when diagramming.

Thanks,

David Kummerow.

Ben Spackman
05-07-2004, 04:57 PM
How hard would it be to import Jastrow's "Dictionary of the Targumim, the Talmud Babli and Yerushalmi, and the Midrashic Literature "? It's public domain, and in .pdf format at Etana.

Vol 1 http://www.cwru.edu/UL/preserve/Etana/JAST.DICv1/JAST.DICv1.html (http://www.cwru.edu/UL/preserve/Etana/JAST.DICv1/JAST.DICv1.html)

Vol. 2 http://www.cwru.edu/UL/preserve/Etana/JAST.DICv2/JAST.DICv2.html (http://www.cwru.edu/UL/preserve/Etana/JAST.DICv2/JAST.DICv2.html)

I'd love to see that become part of BW.

paul
05-07-2004, 10:20 PM
bibleworks for pocketpc?

kpurcell
05-08-2004, 09:51 AM
bibleworks for pocketpc?
NOW THAT WOULD BE COOL!!

Yes I was shouting.

kpurcell
05-08-2004, 09:52 AM
bibleworks for pocketpc?
NOW THAT WOULD BE COOL!!

Yes I was shouting.

You couldn't do all that BW does. But an auto info window for language stuff and the ability to sync notes files and search files.

Joe Fleener
05-08-2004, 10:57 AM
See the following Tread:

http://www.bibleworks.com/forums/showpost.php?p=658&postcount=5

If you do a search on PDA you will find all the other discussions related to this topic.

ugotdave
05-08-2004, 06:07 PM
I would love to see a Hebrew and Greek Interlinear version in the next release.

David Morris

paul
05-08-2004, 09:58 PM
thank you for that link. i have the NET Bible on my pc, and didn't know a palm product was av ailable for ppc. i'll check it out

Michael Burer
05-11-2004, 08:00 AM
I would like to see a new line set for the diagramming module. It would be similar to the "participle, substantival" set in that it would be a base line sitting on two legs, but it would not have the little tag that goes to the left. I use this for clauses with finite verbs that are substantival (like certain o[ti clauses).

There are line sets similar to this already, but there doesn't appear to be one that lacks the little tag to the left. If I've overlooked it, please let me know.

Michael Burer
Dallas Theological Seminary

MTan
05-11-2004, 10:00 AM
Hi Michael-

What would you label the symbols? Would it be something like "Clause, Substanstival" and "Clause, Adjectival"?

Michael

Michael Burer
05-11-2004, 01:32 PM
What would you label the symbols? Would it be something like "Clause, Substanstival" and "Clause, Adjectival"?

Michael

I think "Clause, Substantival" would work well. In the system of diagramming I use, this is exactly what the diagram I described does: It is a clause with a finite verb that is functioning as a substantive. Usually they are i{na and o{ti clauses. I don't think "Clause, Adjectival" would be necessary as epexegetical clauses would be diagrammed below the line, not above it as this is (although I can't remember now exactly how that would look).

Thanks!

Michael Burer

pastor-steve
05-12-2004, 01:40 AM
OK. I'm still thinking about this whole range reference problem (where BibleWorks forgets that the user orginially typed a range and goes to just the first verse of the range under various circumstances). I'm thinking about it because it bites me so often.

Anyway, is BibleWorks written in an object-oriented language? Given it's age, many C++? If so, couldn't the class used to pass a reference be modified to contain a verse range instead of a single verse? That would allow you to store verse ranges properly in the history as well as allow BibleWorks to refresh the results window properly when the user makes a change like adding a display version.

You could avoid other changes if you had to by using the much-maligned operator overloading to allow incrementing. (Perhaps drop the range if the user increments...) As long as the results window painting code understood ranges, life would be good.

This change would have the added benefit of making it much easier to code a new feature a user has requested in another thread: arbitrary, discontinuous verse ranges.

Also, it would make many BibleWorks uses happy and more productive. :) (Lots of people responded last time it was discussed on the listserv.)

Thanks for at least thinking about it.

--Steve

frankenfro
05-12-2004, 10:59 AM
-I need "undo" & "redo" for the ASE.
-Flashcards could use a "find" command

cmyktaylor
05-12-2004, 12:21 PM
The new Master Module Index is great! Is there any way to make BW6 jump to it rather than the individual Modules when you hit a link? Since I frequently have the MMI open, it would be nice to be able to just continue working within the same Module.

Chris

jdarlack
05-12-2004, 01:49 PM
Hello folks, the other day, I was working on a translation and BW crashed! OH MY! The problem is that I was writing my translation in the notes when it crashed, so I lost a few hours worth of work!

Could an auto-recover feature be made available for the notes?

Similarly, could an undo/redo feature be built into the notes feature as well?

~Jim

frankenfro
05-13-2004, 11:41 AM
-being able to right-click on the ASE connections and having an option to "disconnect" instead of having to control-click both boxes and selecting "disconnect" from the main menu.

-also, regarding the WLM, I'd like the option of double-clicking a word and the Results Window bringing up only those occurances of that word. Whatever the query might be, if a certain word is found by the WLM 4x, then when i double-click on it, i would like to see only those 4 occurances instead of every occurance. For instance, if i'm gathering a list of all the words in a verse range of Deut 26 from the NIV, i'd like an option to be able to double-click "give" and only have the 2 occurances from Dt 26 in the results window instead of all 908 occurances from the entire NIV.

MTan
05-13-2004, 04:44 PM
Hi Michael-
This new symbol, along with several refinements, fixes, and new symbols, will appear in the next preview update!
Michael

I think "Clause, Substantival" would work well. In the system of diagramming I use, this is exactly what the diagram I described does: It is a clause with a finite verb that is functioning as a substantive. Usually they are i{na and o{ti clauses. I don't think "Clause, Adjectival" would be necessary as epexegetical clauses would be diagrammed below the line, not above it as this is (although I can't remember now exactly how that would look).

Thanks!

Michael Burer

Joseph B. Modica
05-18-2004, 09:55 PM
Would it be possible to enable the pop-up word analysis for Hebrew and Greek in the Diagramming Module? It would be a significant help. Thanks for the consideration. --Joe

jdarlack
05-20-2004, 04:57 PM
Hello! I have noticed that when one looks up a word in the Qumran Sectarian Manuscripts one must be very careful to use the un-pointed sin/shin (X) to look up words with either f or v. Could there be a way for the QSM to automatically recognize either an f or v as X?

Similarly, could there be a way of searching on a word in Hebrew or Aramaic and simply using the X so that it brings up all instances of either f or v. I know that one can do this with the following string: .r[f/v]b to bring up both rfb and rvb, but it may be helpful...or even just intuitive for the string .rXb to bring up both automatically.

~Jim

onefear
05-23-2004, 04:14 PM
Certainly a small item, but the Treasury of Scripture Knowledge information window is of a fixed width. Is there an easy way to convert this to wrap the text regardless of the size of the window? Thanks!

Clay Johnson

Sbradford
05-25-2004, 10:12 AM
How about "The Message" ???

If I get to make a wish list for additional versions, it would include:

Holman Christian Standard Bible

Modern Language Bible
Rotherham Emphasized Bible

And now... you know that!

Dan

ericjdaniels
05-26-2004, 11:19 AM
I know this must sound picky, but often when I go up to the help menu to check for online updates, I accidentally click on the "Reset All Hints" option. It is pretty easy to do.

Is it possible to change the order of those options? Maybe even put "Show Copyright Information" just above "BibleWorks on the Web?" That way, if anyone accidentally misses the Web option ALL of the hints won't be reset.

I know how to shut off the hints, but I would actually like them there in case I hit something that I need a hint for. But having the ones I already know reset is a bit inconvenient.

Other than that, you guys have a great program here. I am truly blessed by it.

Eric

Mark Langley
05-27-2004, 02:09 PM
Yes, I would agree with Eric and I would to see this as well.

Thanks.

dbielby
06-02-2004, 12:58 AM
I would like to suggest that some touches on the manual be added. For example, on page 2 the concept of a browse button is introduced. It would be helpful to show a picture of that button so it's easier to find. Pictures added to labels throughout the manual would be helpful.

dbielby
06-02-2004, 01:05 AM
On page 2 in the manual I found another problem. The second to last paragraph says in the middle..."We would suggest you begin by reading the "Overview" Topics scattered throughout the help system. To see a list just click on the "Related Topics" Button at the beginning of this topic."

Well, I'm assuming that means the help online topic...but it's not specified. When looking at the help online button...Nothing called related topics appears.

So does anyone know where the "related topics" button is?

dbielby
06-02-2004, 01:08 AM
Some of the new additions like AF Greek are very exciting for me. But I don't see these parts of BW 6.0 being cross-linked or referenced. So I was confused by the manual instructions on page three that say everything is cross-linked. Does that include the extra-biblical material?

dbielby
06-02-2004, 01:09 AM
I would love to see the word tips and other features available on the GNT/LXX also available on the AF Greek.

dbielby
06-02-2004, 01:13 AM
When working on the diagram page, it sure would be great to have the grammatical and word tip features interactive as they are on the main page.

Is that possible?

frankenfro
06-02-2004, 09:41 AM
On page 2 in the manual I found another problem. The second to last paragraph says in the middle..."We would suggest you begin by reading the "Overview" Topics scattered throughout the help system. To see a list just click on the "Related Topics" Button at the beginning of this topic."

Well, I'm assuming that means the help online topic...but it's not specified. When looking at the help online button...Nothing called related topics appears.

So does anyone know where the "related topics" button is?
If you click on the Help icon at the top of BW6 and select Getting Started, you'll be taken to the initial help screen. At the top of that page you'll see Related Topics. Also, if you have a question about how a function in BW6 works, you can place your cursor over it, like the Command Center for instance, and press F1 to pull up the help screen for that particular function. The Related Topics link is at the top of the screen.

Joe Fleener
06-07-2004, 10:47 AM
Here are a few:

1. In the WLM (Word List Manager) in the "filter words using" box, it would be great to have the same morphology pop-up help that you get on the command line in 6.0

2. I think it would be more clear if the min/max and close buttons associated with the editor were directly above the editor window rather than at the top of the verse list boxes.

3. When assigning colors with text highlighter, it would be nice if there was some kind of "undo" option. Sometimes you choose a color, only to wish you had not after you select it.

4. In the ASE. If I have a new ASE query open, but have not saved it, I would like to be able to go to file - open and open another one without having to save the one I am currently in. This open choice would open a new ASE window and leave the one I was working in open, but unsaved. Basically I would either save it later, or would be prompted to save it when I actually close it.

Thanks for a fantastic product...that only gets better.

Bennett B. Wethered
06-08-2004, 11:26 AM
Could the program be 'tweaked' so that turning off the version notes doesn't 'mess' with the passage in the Results Window. - Thank you so much.I happened to be looking at the Option Flags feature, clicked on Command Line Search Options, and found a listing called "Remember command line ranges." Aha! The solution to the issue I addressed above! I checked it, and then tested it out. I had had the notes on, and turned them off, and my 5 verses chosen stayed the same! (It always reverted to the first verse in the group before) But, alas, when I would click on the next results window verse, or a verse in the TSK box in the AIW, it would keep the same 5 verse range, a breadth of application which goes beyond a help to a hindrance. Was this item in the Option Flags designed to be helpful in some other way (I'm not sure I'll ever have it checked), in which case, keep it for those who want it, or was it intended to address my issue? If the latter, it needs further tweaking, to affect only the Results Window, and in limited ways. Thanks.

frankenfro
06-08-2004, 12:14 PM
I noticed (prompted by Mr. Wethered's previous post) that when i pulled up a range of vss (matt 4:1-11) with the "Remember command line ranges" selected (using NET), and did a word search of "ministering" from vs. 11 that the verses in the Results Verse List Box also produced in the Results Window the same range of verses so that Exo 39:26 in the VLB displayed vss. 26-36 instead of just v. 26. This glitch is also found in the copy center when i select "Text of Verses in Verse List." Whereas I only want the 9 specific verses with "ministering" to be copied to a Word Doc, i'm given the 11-verse-range for those 9 vss. And i only copied over 1 Bible version (NET)! I usually copy over 3-7 for comparison.

Dogfish Jones
06-08-2004, 12:46 PM
It would be great if we could not only add our own bible versions (as we already do), but also add our own reference works and tag them to work with the lexicon/grammatical browser.

For example, I would like to type up and add the book introductions and theological articles from the Spirit of the Reformation Study Bible.

Charlie
06-10-2004, 06:05 PM
I happened to be looking at the Option Flags feature, clicked on Command Line Search Options, and found a listing called "Remember command line ranges." Aha! The solution to the issue I addressed above! I checked it, and then tested it out. I had had the notes on, and turned them off, and my 5 verses chosen stayed the same! (It always reverted to the first verse in the group before) But, alas, when I would click on the next results window verse, or a verse in the TSK box in the AIW, it would keep the same 5 verse range, a breadth of application which goes beyond a help to a hindrance. Was this item in the Option Flags designed to be helpful in some other way (I'm not sure I'll ever have it checked), in which case, keep it for those who want it, or was it intended to address my issue? If the latter, it needs further tweaking, to affect only the Results Window, and in limited ways. Thanks.
Try the latest exe posted. It should fix this issue and get rid of the option you mentioned above.

Charlie

Bennett B. Wethered
06-10-2004, 06:22 PM
Thanks, but.....I search on 2Ti 4.1-5. It pulls it up. I click notes. Notes appear, all the verses stay (as they should). I click on the next results window verse, it changes back to single verse (which makes sense). Then, I click on the notes icon again, while I'm in 1 verse at a time mode, and SHAZAM! it reverts to the 5 verse group I'd originally chosen.
I am glad the feature I'd sought now partly exists. I just thought I'd let know know of this odd reaction on the program's part. Thanks for monitoring our requests, cries for help, and accolades!

Tyrone Brumwell
06-11-2004, 12:27 AM
Future plug-in:

Greek Grammar -- Herbert Weir Smyth (Harvard University Press)

dbielby
06-12-2004, 12:43 AM
I agree with this request. This happens to me almost every time I use BW. However, I have gotten used to it and don't get upset when it happens. If there's a way to change this, I would welcome the change.

David Bielby

I couldn't agree with this request more. This was the first thing I checked when I got the new BibleWorks, and it's the only thing about BibleWorkd that drives me crazy. In fact I've requested it before versions 5 and 6. Other people on the former e-mail list agreed too.

I used to specialize in human-computer interfaces, and typing in a range of verses like Acts:9:1-6 and then doing something like adding a display version only to find that BibleWorks decides to display only Acts 9:1 is a clear violation of reasonable user expactations. A user's only recourse it to retype somethign BibleWorks should have remembered in the first place.

Somehow the importance of this must not be clear. This happens to me all the time as I want to look at another version or come back to something I was looking at later. Verse ranges don't even show up in the history. Imagine if clicking the back button in your web browser threw away 90% of the web page you wanted to go back to...

Please, please, please consider fixing this... I love everything else about the program, but this makes me nuts. :(

Thank you!

Steve Whitney, 3 time BibleWorks purchaser

almather
06-12-2004, 08:24 AM
God has 'probably' deliberately overseen the development of BW's so that each of us godly men and women would find our faith tested as we use this program.

I am not speaking from a record of 100% godliness myself, but from time to time God reminds me that he has placed us in a fallen and cursed world where even our best efforts still reflect the curse.

May God grant to us through knowledge of Himself and his Son everything we need for BW's faults and failing, successes, user ignorance and designers humanness, etc. (2Pe 1:3,4)

May God continue to bless us.

In Christ,

Al

Philip Brown
06-12-2004, 12:52 PM
I agree with this request. This happens to me almost every time I use BW. However, I have gotten used to it and don't get upset when it happens. If there's a way to change this, I would welcome the change.

Hi Dave,

From what I can see, this problem has been fixed. I typed in Exo 9 1-6, added and removed versions from the RW, highlighted text and removed the highlighting, changed from multi-version mode to browse mode, and back again -- all without losing the verse range I had set.

Make sure you have the following option checked, and it should work for you:
Tools | options | option flags | ... hmmm, there use to be an option about retaining verse ranges. Apparently they have incorporated it into the default behavior of the program (?).

So make sure you have the latest update (10e) and you should be fine.

Christopher Coulter
06-14-2004, 09:26 PM
One request I'd like to make...

A version that would take advantage of Ink and some of the extra Tablet PC features. Reference and eBook material is only natural within the context of Pen Computing. Seems an ideal market, if niche', but one that isn't being served in things Biblical Scholar.

Christopher Coulter
http://www.whatisnew.com (http://www.whatisnew.com/)
http://www.tabletpcpost.com (http://www.tabletpcpost.com/)

David Kummerow
06-23-2004, 08:58 PM
Hi,

I don't know how difficult this feature would be to implement, but I would like to be able to write my own lexical notes etc., much the same I guess in how you can write your own Bible version - a lexicon compiler. To be able to build your own lexicon would be fantastic.

Thanks,

David.

dbielby
06-30-2004, 12:32 PM
Good morning Philip!

The problem still exists. In version 10p, which is what I now have, if one enters a passage and then removes a version from the window, the remaining versions revert to verse one. No big deal to me...but there are no options to have it remember the verse range that I can find.

Take care.

David

Hi Dave,

From what I can see, this problem has been fixed. I typed in Exo 9 1-6, added and removed versions from the RW, highlighted text and removed the highlighting, changed from multi-version mode to browse mode, and back again -- all without losing the verse range I had set.

Make sure you have the following option checked, and it should work for you:
Tools | options | option flags | ... hmmm, there use to be an option about retaining verse ranges. Apparently they have incorporated it into the default behavior of the program (?).

So make sure you have the latest update (10e) and you should be fine.

Joe Fleener
06-30-2004, 04:19 PM
I would like to be able to highlight an entire ASE construction and copy it as a bitmap for an external application.

This is already possible for diagrams, which is great, but when placing an example ASE query in a document it would look cleaner like this than the current option of a screen print.

Thanks,

pastor-steve
07-01-2004, 04:09 AM
Yep. There was a fix for a blessed time. But as is often the case in software development, the fix had unintended side effects so they backed it out for the time being until there's time to perfect it. :(

I hope it bubbles up to the top of the list. when I was a software developer, it was always more fun to work on new features (like the verse extractor), but customer satisfaction seemed to depend more on fixing bugs. The ket is finding a balance.

It sounded like there was still a commitment to fix the bug, which is good enough for me.

--Steve

P.S. I'm still running 6.0.010e, which has the fix.

Good morning Philip!

The problem still exists. In version 10p, which is what I now have, if one enters a passage and then removes a version from the window, the remaining versions revert to verse one. No big deal to me...but there are no options to have it remember the verse range that I can find.

Take care.

David

David Kummerow
07-01-2004, 08:44 PM
Hi,

I have another idea for BW. I would like to be add my own grammatical, syntactical and perhaps even semantic and pragmatic tags for the analysis of Hebrew and Greek. Tags like Subject and Object (or if you're into Role and Reference Grammar, Actor and Undergoer) for example. I guess much of the analysis that can be done in the diagrammer I would like to be able to personally tag in the morphological version so as to be able to conduct searches etc on that data. Or if this can't be done for copyright reasons, the constrction of your own taggable database.

David.

Glenn Weaver
07-03-2004, 01:01 AM
The Report Generator has a box where you enter the chapter and verse range for the report you would like to generate. That is great for a single verse or consecutive verses or chapters, but what about an easy way to generate a report for topical studies?

Having the option to set the Report Generator range according to a verse list would be a great feature. With this feature it would be easy to create a verse list for a word or topical study using the VLM, create notes on each verse in the verse list, and then generate the report.

I know that it is possible to put each verse from the verse list in the passage box, but having the option to use a VLS file would be simpler, faster, and less prone to data entry error.

shamgar
04-29-2005, 11:37 PM
OK, so you've got a thread that will allow me to continually ask for a linux port..... cool!

Here's another voice for you. Later in this thread Charlie noted that this poll isn't very representative on the Windows side of things, as not everyone who uses bibleworks will have voted.

I'd note that the same is true of Linux. I hadn't even bothered to check out the forums before, cause I just assumed for a long time now that there wouldn't be a linux port. However, of late through various discussion forums I've discovered there are more linux-using theologians than I would've expected. ;-)

I'm probably not the only one who has never bothered even looking because of this. So I'm sure there are people who would buy it. However, I can understand them being reticent to port it. Commercial linux software isn't an easy sell on linux, even when there aren't good alternatives (like in this case). It's a fairly small market (relatively speaking, once you narrow it down to linux users who would actually want software like this). I'm not sure how quickly they would recoup their development costs.

This is unfortunate, as I am almost exclusively a linux user. I use a windows laptop from work for accessing exchange and that's about it. And I only use that for calendar management, preferring mutt+imap for email. (which, of course, means little to most of you. ;-) I'm thrilled to see that it runs well under cxoffice. I generally don't like to bother with emulators but I might be willing to install one for this.

Anyway, I would add my voice to those who would love to see a linux port of Bibleworks (and to see libronix work under linux too for that matter) but I do so knowing that it might not be feasible, at least in the near future.

However, I would also note the new macintosh line is also unix based. While the graphical portion would be different, the rest of the backend should run fine on both platforms if you plan it well, or at least be largely reusable. The combined market there might make such a venture more reasonable from a return on investment perspective.

So...here's hoping we'll see it someday, and another vote in favor.

wezlo
04-30-2005, 12:32 AM
However, I would also note the new macintosh line is also unix based. While the graphical portion would be different, the rest of the backend should run fine on both platforms if you plan it well, or at least be largely reusable. The combined market there might make such a venture more reasonable from a return on investment perspective.

So...here's hoping we'll see it someday, and another vote in favor.

Yah, I actually suggested to Bibleworks that they port it to QT, that way they could release for Win/Lin/Mac all at once, with the same base code. Accordance would freak out at BW being so cheap for the comparative bang for the buck...

lay down all
04-30-2005, 11:46 PM
I'd like to see linked lexicons to the Syriac New Testament and the Latin Vulgate.

The text of the Syriac Old Testament and Apocrphya and possibly a linked lexicon.
Possibly the Coptic text and lexicons.

And i'd also love to see the Hebrew and Greek, and even these languages mentioned above as interlinear translations, and being linked to lexicons.

In God's love.
Paul.

gcalton
05-01-2005, 09:47 AM
Since we are making a wishlist in May, could I suggest two tools that will help in researching backgrounds for the New Testament.
1. New Documents Illustrating Early Christianity
2. Supplementum Epigraphicum Graecum

Is there a way in incorporated these in BW 7 or Possibly in BW 8. I know that these are considerably large but the nuggets of gold found here are priceless.

madmagi
05-01-2005, 09:45 PM
If you purchase a physical Greek NT (or Septugent) such as one created by UBS there is generally a MSS description about all the MSS used in the creation of the revision, then as you read through the script, there are subscripts with MSS information such as differences in MSS.

It would be nice if this was incorporated in BSS in some way.

Lester Henderson

mlward
05-03-2005, 02:55 PM
A nice feature would be to be able to press alt+left arrow to go back one verse and alt+right arrow to go forward one verse.

Mark

vr8ce
05-03-2005, 10:03 PM
A nice feature would be to be able to press alt+left arrow to go back one verse and alt+right arrow to go forward one verse.
Mark
I'll have to vote against this one. I've requested more than once that Alt-Left/Right do the same things as the left and right arrows, i.e. go to the previous/next context. This is, to me, "intuitive" in that it's exactly what a browser does, with the same keys as the browser.

Of course, I've also requested several times that we be able to customize the keyboard. That would solve everyone's request at once. :)

Vince

Dale A. Brueggemann
05-04-2005, 06:22 AM
I've requested more than once that Alt-Left/Right do the same things as the left and right arrows, i.e. go to the previous/next context. This is, to me, "intuitive" in that it's exactly what a browser does, with the same keys as the browser.

I too vote against making the alt-left/right arrow as keys move up and down a verse rather than for moving between contexts. The up/down arrow keys work just fine for previous and next verse.

Of course, I've also requested several times that we be able to customize the keyboard. That would solve everyone's request at once. :)

Now that WOULD be a nice idea!

ingosorke
05-04-2005, 03:48 PM
Ctrl arrow-up/down already moves the result window text up/down one verse, but may be you're looking for something else.

nobptl
05-11-2005, 04:48 AM
Hello all,

I am a two year BW user living in Japan. In our country, we use so many "Kanji" characters for daily communication with others. It has multibyte(16bit) character-coding system, the most popular is "SHIFT-JIS"(CP932). I wanted to use my own language on BW. So, I converted Japanese Bible text from other domestically produced bible text soft to BW as "user-made version". At a glance it works correctly, but there are irregular characters at the end of almost all lines. I think it is because of BW's character-code handling scheme which is designed to interpret all coding system as singlebyte(8bit). So, is it able to modify the design to fit to 'multibyte-ready' one on current or next version? Or are there any other way to change this situation?

Thank you!!

Dan Phillips
05-13-2005, 09:10 AM
One thing I'd like to see is a forward/backward button that works like every other forward/backward button.

That is, I'd like it actually to take me back to the last view I had. If I moved from Ephesians 1:4 to Romans 2:6, and then to Proverbs 14:3, and then press the Back button -- I'd like to go back to Romans 2:6!

Not to 2 Maccabees 1:9! -- or whatever crazy idea got into BW's head at the moment.

The way it is, it's like the Omega 13 button. You push it, and there's no telling what might happen!

Dan

wezlo
05-13-2005, 10:15 AM
The way it is, it's like the Omega 13 button. You push it, and there's no telling what might happen!

You know what the Omega 13 is!
Never give up!

Dan Phillips
05-13-2005, 08:54 PM
...Never surrender!

wezlo
05-13-2005, 09:27 PM
...Never surrender!
So good to be among my own kind.
This would make a great BW easter egg btw...

Adelphos
05-15-2005, 05:03 PM
This thread is dedicated to discussing various ideas people have for the future development of BibleWorks.

How 'bout adding to the Verse History listbox the ability to sort the entries. As it stands now, I must go to my text editor to do so.

Scott
http://www.lamblion.net

wezlo
06-11-2005, 10:39 AM
Jim,

The idea with Unicode is that every font will have every character used by every language, so yes, characters used in transliteration would also have to be present. I'm not sure however, if all of the bugs have been worked out with Unicode. Perhaps someone else on the list can jump in and offer more info.

Charlie
Check out the sword project (www.crosswire.org), and download the windows version. You can then download the hebrew module and see what unicode looks like in action. I've been using it to copy hebrew into OpenOffice.org and it works great.

Please note, sword is nice for people who don't need powerful tools, I'd never use it as my primary tool as it's not powerful enough for me - but it's a great showcase of unicode in-particular...

lay down all
06-13-2005, 09:37 PM
I'd like to see the orginal texts used of the Greek, Coptic, Ethiopian, Armenian, Slavonic Orthodox Churches in Bibleworks one day.

Also to be able to search for a Greek word in the Church Fathers in the LXX and New Testament and vice versa.

Maybe even original texts of later Church fathers, like Justin Martyr.

Also i've noticed in the NET versions footnotes that we sometimes have links to other Scripture which we can click to, i think it would be a great advantage if we could use these in our own notes.

Thomas_Freeman
08-26-2005, 04:14 PM
One of the advantages to diagramming is the ability to see your grammar options. I have attempted at times to show all the options on one page (using colors, extension lines, etc.). It would really be nice to have layers where you could overlay your options on top of the base diagram. I strongly encourage Bibleworks to consider this!

Joshua Luna
08-29-2005, 03:19 AM
Just an idea... but an editable "workflow" template for sermon creation. I have not worked with other apps that do have this so I cannot give much for suggestions other than I think it could be useful for those of us who use Biblework for creating sermons, classroom setting lectures, or articles.

I primarily use BW for study and research, but with the plans for the new WYSIWYG editor it kind of dawned on me that some workflow tools to go along with the new editor could be enough to prevent me from going out to Word until, well, unless I need to to specially format something for print.

Anything that gets me using BW more and streamlines the interface is good. It is a very difficult task to incorperate a lot of tools, features, and new functions and keeping it user friendly. I know you are not necessarily trying to compete with the "sermon making software" market and obviously a large part of the BW demographic may not use it. But it could be handy for those of us who would use it.

And no request/idea from me would not be perfect with a request for hyperlinking internally to user created notes :D This an the BHS/NA27 textual notes... and... :D

pastorlew
09-07-2005, 02:28 PM
Adding new commentaries would be nice.

Christopher S Wiley
09-08-2005, 06:50 PM
Adding new commentaries would be nice.
I really wouldn't like doctrinal commentaries but textual ones. I think the focus of Bibleworks is language studies.

jhntruevine
09-09-2005, 12:57 AM
I agree with that!

pastorlew
09-14-2005, 11:35 PM
I hear the UBS handbooks are excellent for exegetical studies. Would they be a good addition to BW?

landuk
09-18-2005, 04:18 AM
why don't you cotain korean version!

my only hope!

dbielby
10-08-2005, 11:49 PM
Wouldn't it be wonderful if one could have an integrated exegetical guide (customizeable) based on Gordon Fee's steps for NT Exegesis and the companion volume for OT Exegesis. Below is my own guide that is modified from Fee's. I think a sort of project manager module that helps a person keep track of what they are doing could be developed...with customizeable links to places either on the net or within your own pc would be awesome.

Then the next step could be to develop a collaborative feature for pastors who want to work on the same passage together but may not live near each other...perhaps online exegetical guide with a popular word processor such as MS Word or whatever.

I. Getting Started-Monday (up to 1 hour and 20 minutes)

__ 1.1 Read the larger context

__ 1.2 Read the passage repeatedly.

__ 1.2.1 Start a sermon use list of ideas from the readings

__ 1.2.2 ESV

__ 1.2.3 NAU

__ 1.2.4 NET

__ 1.2.5 NIV

__ 1.2.6 NJB

__ 1.2.7 NLT

__ 1.2.8 NRS

__ 1.2.9 MSG

__ 1.2.10 NEB

__ 1.3 Make your own translation. (For those working in English go to A)

__ 1.3.1 Drill on Greek Words for the passage before starting translation

__ 1.3.2 Use Zerwick Grammatical Analysis & Biblical Illustrations

__ 1.3.3 Check AT Robertson’s Word Pictures

__ 1.3.4 Make a provisional translation

__ 1.4 Compile a list of translational alternatives.

__ 1.5 Analyze the structure.

II. Matters of Content-Monday (Allow approximately 2 hours)

__ 2.1 Check for significant textual issues.

__ 2.2 Note any unusual grammar (ambiguous or otherwise)

__ 2.2.1 Consult Zerwick’s “A Grammatical Analysis of GNT”

__ 2.2.2 Consult A.T. Robertson’s “A Grammar of the GNT”

__ 2.2.3 Consult Blass/Debrunner & Funks “A Greek Grammar of the NT”

__ 2.2.4 Consult Wallace’s “Greek Grammar Beyond the Basics”

__ 2.2.5 Run questions & ideas past B-Greek list

__ 2.3 Make a list of key terms.

__ 2.4 Do a mini word study for any crucial terms. +

__ 2.4.1 Search on root form in BW 6.0

__ 2.4.2 Search Apostolic Fathers for uses of word

__ 2.4.3 Consult Spicq’s “Theological Lexicon of the NT”

__ 2.4.4 Consult Kittel’s “Theological Dictionary of the NT”

__ 2.4.5 Consult b-Greek website for added insight on any words.

__ 2.5 Investigate important historical-cultural matters.

__ 2.5.1 Check Finegan’s “NT Archeology” Scripture index

__ 2.5.2 Check Finegan’s “Light from the Ancient Past” indexes

__ 2.5.3 Check Wight’s “Manners & Customs of Bible Lands” index

III. Contextual Questions Tuesday (Allow approximately 15 minutes)

__ 3.1 Examine the historical context.

__ 3.2 Examine the literary context.

Gospels

__ 3.1 Identify the form.

__ 3.2 Use a synopsis

__ 3.3 Investigate possible life settings where appropriate

__ 3.3.1 Check Edersheim’s “Life & Times of Jesus” index

__ 3.4 Describe the present arrangement or adaptation.

IV. Secondary Literature Tuesday (Allow approximately 2 hours)

__ 4.1 Consult at least three major commentaries for overviews & key issues

__ 4.2 Read other literature

__ 4.3 Listen to or read a couple sermons on the passage.

V. Biblical Theological Context Wednesday (Allow approximately 30 minutes)

__ 5.1 Analyze the passage’s relation to the rest of Scripture.

__ 5.1.1 Consult Grudems “Systematic Theology”

__ 5.1.2 Consult Strong’s “Systematic Theology”

__ 5.1.3 Consult Ladd’s New Testament Theology

__ 5.2 Analyze the passage’s use in, and relation to, theology.

__ 5.1.1 Consult “The Hard Sayings of the Bible” index for

issues this passage may help solve, address or raise

VI. Application Wednesday (Allow approximately 2 hours)

__ 6.1 List the life issues in the passage.

__ 6.2 Clarify the possible nature and area of application.

__ 6.3 Identify the audience and categories of application.

__ 6.4 Listen to other preachers on this text (two if possible)

VII. Spend Time in Reflection on the Text and in Prayer. Thursday (Allow 45 min.)

VIII. Begin with a Sense of Purpose. Friday (1 hour)

__ 8.1 Main Points from exegesis reviewed.

__ 8.2 Purpose identified. State your objective plainly.

__ 8.3 Connected cultural issues.

__ 8.4 Response sought from the people.

“Take cultural issues that your people are struggling with and address them

Eric
10-11-2005, 04:21 PM
I appreciate the interface available through OLE in Bibleworks 6. I would like to see some additioanl functionality specifically with regards to being able to access the Copy Center from OLE. The purpose of this would be to create a toolbar for Word or other Word Processors to be able to copy references from the Copy Center without going back and forth between Bible Works and the Word Processor.

Thanks!

moonryul
10-11-2005, 08:02 PM
I am using Bibleworks 6. The question has to do with
morphology search in WTM.

I tried entering a query in the form of LEMMA@CODE using the Command Line. When I
typed MSL@vq, the morphology menu for the
aspect of the verb popped up, and there is
no ? among the menu items, so I have to specify
a particular aspect or *. * means that I do not want
to specify anything after "vq".

Of course, I can specify each one of the nine "aspects", that is, perfect, imperfect, imperative, infinite construct,
infinite absolute, participle, passive participle, waw
consec imperfect, waw consec perfect.

But it seems silly to do that, because I often want to
search for verb instances regardless of the "aspect".

The problem is basically the same when I use the Morphology Assistant.

Moon Jung

jakemccarty
10-12-2005, 08:12 AM
I'm not really sure I understand your question, but are you looking for something like "an imperfect function as a 'future durative' or an imperfect fuctioning as a 'present durative'". If this is what you mean, unfortunately, I don't think the WTM parsing will include this information as it is somewhat interpretational.

But nevertheless I do wish the WTM parsing included more information, especially as it relates to historical Hebrew grammar. After all, a preterite and an imperfect were different in Ugaritic--and Hebrew too.

jdarlack
10-13-2005, 09:07 AM
...to create a toolbar for Word or other Word Processors to be able to copy references from the Copy Center without going back and forth between Bible Works and the Word Processor.Hi Eric,

Are you aware that you can type Ctrl+Shift+B in Word and get a small copy dialog box, where you can define the range of verses & the versions that you would like to copy into BW?

It works like a charm.

redpooba
02-13-2008, 08:55 PM
It would be really nice to have all the creeds and confessions on BW in order to quickly search through them.

Joshua Luna
02-17-2008, 12:11 PM
Wouldn't it be wonderful if one could have an integrated exegetical guide (customizeable) based on Gordon Fee's steps for NT Exegesis and the companion volume for OT Exegesis. Below is my own guide that is modified from Fee's. I think a sort of project manager module that helps a person keep track of what they are doing could be developed...with customizeable links to places either on the net or within your own pc would be awesome.

This is a very cool idea!

One way to do this now, kind of sort of, would be to create a folder in your Bibleworks notes folder names "Exegetical Guides". Create a couple files like:

NT Exegesis
OT Exegesis
Exegesis Backup NT
Exegesis Backup OT
Now when you want to do some exegesis open the file, rename it through save as, and off you go.

But I would agree, having a panel or window you can open (and keep open) to keep record of where you are at and have little checkboxes next to each would be pretty spiffy!

Making the outline/checklists customizable would be the right way to go as each user could tailor the list to their own methods as well.

jim.dvorak
09-29-2009, 06:29 PM
It would be nice if I could switch between fonts and not have to restart the software for the changes to take effect--esp. for exports fonts. Some publishers require SPIonic, I prefer to use Unicode (Cardo) with my Greek students, etc.

jim.dvorak
09-29-2009, 06:33 PM
I like to use BW in my Greek classes to quickly search and display whatever forms we are learning (e.g. Aor, Impf, Pres, etc.) up on the projector. I have to change the font display size, then restart the software for it to take effect. Then when back in my office, I have to change it back and restart again. That wastes valuable time, especially because there are so many clicks involved. Being able to change font face and size from the toolbar (like most office software allows) w/o having to restart the program would be a super benefit!

Soxfan23
09-29-2009, 08:52 PM
I like to use BW in my Greek classes to quickly search and display whatever forms we are learning (e.g. Aor, Impf, Pres, etc.) up on the projector. I have to change the font display size, then restart the software for it to take effect. Then when back in my office, I have to change it back and restart again. That wastes valuable time, especially because there are so many clicks involved. Being able to change font face and size from the toolbar (like most office software allows) w/o having to restart the program would be a super benefit!

Agreed. I have said this for quite some time now. For teaching purposes things should be made much easier. There is a "zoom" feature in the "notes" tab and an "increase text size" feature in the map module that functions like I wish the other windows would function in this regard. I wish not only the browse window fonts could be adjusted without restarting the program, but also all of the other windows as well (analysis, parallel, search, lexicon, etc.).

Michael Hanel
09-29-2009, 09:02 PM
Agreed. I have said this for quite some time now. For teaching purposes things should be made much easier. There is a "zoom" feature in the "notes" tab and an "increase text size" feature in the map module that functions like I wish the other windows would function in this regard. I wish not only the browse window fonts could be adjusted without restarting the program, but also all of the other windows as well (analysis, parallel, search, lexicon, etc.).

I know BW says you have to restart, but if you just advance to the next verse, the font adjustments take place in the browse window already, no need to restart.

Soxfan23
09-29-2009, 09:53 PM
I know BW says you have to restart, but if you just advance to the next verse, the font adjustments take place in the browse window already, no need to restart.

That's helpful to know. It could still be a little easier though. I would just like to see an "increase font" or "zoom" feature on the menu bar of every feature. What about for increasing the text size of lexicons and such?

Michael Hanel
09-29-2009, 10:21 PM
That's helpful to know. It could still be a little easier though. I would just like to see an "increase font" or "zoom" feature on the menu bar of every feature. What about for increasing the text size of lexicons and such?

I believe it all changes on the fly. I can't remember off the top of my head, you'd have to experiment to learn. Usually you have to do something that forces it to refresh, like w the browse window example.

True a zoom feature might be nice, my only point was that it's not completely necessary to restart each time.

dbielby
07-19-2011, 12:33 PM
I would like to see foreign language modules (English, Spanish, Chinese, Russian, Etc) with standard pronunciation available. This would allow missionaries and TESOL language trainers to develop tools for teaching English using BW and could open up a whole new market for BW). It would also allow missionaries and short term mission teams to train themselves on targeted sections of the Bible that they may intend to use in a missions trip or for a ministry class.

Since I'm a new missionary in Taiwan, I see the first hand need for Mandarin Chinese and English flashcard modules. (My wife is an English teacher and I will be teaching Bible in bi-lingual contexts--English/Mandarin and in some selected classes I plan to add Hebrew/Greek into the mix. The parallel version function is a real exciting tool from my perspective).

An ability to review some of the terminology for a specific chapter, paragraph or book of the Bible in a written or combination of a written/audio format would also enable a translator who is not really sharp on the vocabulary a preacher may be using to get up to speed quickly.

Since BW is my primary tool, this change, allowing any language in the database to be added as a flashcard module, would be a GREAT improvement from my perspective.

Sansom48
07-19-2011, 12:53 PM
I would like to see foreign language modules (English, Spanish, Chinese, Russian, Etc) with standard pronunciation available. This would allow missionaries and TESOL language trainers to develop tools for teaching English using BW and could open up a whole new market for BW). It would also allow missionaries and short term mission teams to train themselves on targeted sections of the Bible that they may intend to use in a missions trip or for a ministry class.

Since I'm a new missionary in Taiwan, I see the first hand need for Mandarin Chinese and English flashcard modules. (My wife is an English teacher and I will be teaching Bible in bi-lingual contexts--English/Mandarin and in some selected classes I plan to add Hebrew/Greek into the mix. The parallel version function is a real exciting tool from my perspective).

An ability to review some of the terminology for a specific chapter, paragraph or book of the Bible in a written or combination of a written/audio format would also enable a translator who is not really sharp on the vocabulary a preacher may be using to get up to speed quickly.

Since BW is my primary tool, this change, allowing any language in the database to be added as a flashcard module, would be a GREAT improvement from my perspective.

Although, I don't know how to do this with Chinese Characters, it is actually quite easy to create your own flashcard database with the Bibleworks set up. You can do this with Microsoft Excel. However, you would need the time, which is something by he sounds of it, you don't have, so perhaps there is someone else who knows Chinese that would be able to do this.

dbielby
07-19-2011, 10:04 PM
The problem I see with Mandarin is that Characters are not exactly like letters. So for the name Jesus in English we have five letters that BW automatically clumps as a group we call a word. But in Chinese, each character seems to be treated individually in BW, and for Jesus we have two characters. But the name Jesus in Mandarin cannot be searched on as a word, it can only be searched on as a phrase. Unless there's a trick to it that I don't know yet (there probably is).

Ok, so with your suggestion, then could we develop a flashcard module for English words in say the book of Jude and create a training card deck for people who are going to enroll in a book study of Jude in English? If so, how would you do that?

Mark Eddy
07-20-2011, 09:42 AM
I know that you know where the Chinese discussion group is, since you just posted something there about the Word List Manager. I suggest you ask there if anyone who actually knows Mandarin would have the time to make up some flash cards for you. I have been in China only twice, for less than 2 weeks each time. I have made a couple presentations in parallel Chinese and English, going verse by verse, not word by word. I had someone who actally speaks Chinese read the Chinese parts. Since then I have started making up a .bww file for the BW editor which functions as a vocabulary list. But I am doing it the way the Rosetta stone was used to decifer demotic. I search for a word in English or Greek, see which Chinese characters are about the right place in those verses to be the Chinese word for the word I am searching, then I copy it into my vocabulary file in the editor. Every once in a while I have asked a relative in China if I have found the correct word. It's a really slow process, and I don't plan to use it very often, so other projects are way ahead of this one for me. A native speaker could do this so much faster.
God bless your attempts to proclaim Jesus to that part of His creation.
Mark Eddy

dbielby
07-20-2011, 09:59 AM
I appreciate it Mark!

Dale A. Brueggemann
07-28-2011, 11:44 AM
I would love to see the browse tab automatically display the verse that's active in the analysis window with a verse or two of context before the active verse instead of the active verse at the very top. I very commonly have to scroll up a verse or two. The blue highlighting will still draw the eye to the active verse(s) immediately.

christlove
07-28-2011, 03:21 PM
Greetings,

a few minutes ago I wanted to search for the particle μεν and trying to figure out which bible translations have which words chosen for their translation. For that I would offer the program in another word box a selection of translation possibilities and different bible-versions, but it seems so that the GSE is not yet capable to search in different versions for different words at the same time, containing all in one word box. Is that true? If yes, I guess it would be an valuable extension of GSE´s search capabilities. You know, I mean a word box where you can also choose whether you wanted to search in one version or in many.
To realize the search anyway I guess I have to add another merge-box and set it as a sub-query and a whole bunch of word boxes with different versions each and many words in it.

PS. I hope I´m not talking old because I´m using BW 8 and the 9-users can already realize that kind of searches.

Blessings,
Steffen