PDA

View Full Version : Diqduqé HeTTe'amim

paterdr
01-28-2005, 08:54 AM
28 Jan 2005
Does anybody know of a translation of Aaron Ben Asher's treatise Diqduqé HaTTe'amim ("Grammar of the accents")? A version of it is found in the Leningrad Codex.
Thanks for any information on this, Dan Pater

Joe Fleener
01-28-2005, 09:00 AM
Is Dr. J.D. Price's work on Accents at all related to this or derived from this?

James D. Price, The Syntax of the Masoretic Accents in the Hebrew Bible (Lewiston, NY: The Edwin Mellen Press, 1990).

---, A Concordance of the Hebrew Accents in the Hebrew Bible (Lewiston, NY: The Edwin Mellen Press, 1995), 5 vols.

paterdr
01-28-2005, 10:48 AM
Dr. Price's work, in addition to his own research, follows more directly upon the works by William Wicks (_Two Treatises on the Accentuationof the Old Testament_, 1881,1887, Ktav 1970) and Israel Yeivin (_Introduction to the Tiberian Masorah_, Scholars Press, SBL 1980). All of these depend ultimately, I think, on the _Diqduqé HaTTe'amim_, although there are other "ancient" sources. I have access to Wicks, Yeivin and Price, but I am interested in the treatise text itself at the moment. Some of it I can pick out from the facsimile of L, but it is rather difficult. So again, my question: is anybody aware of a translation, perhaps done for private use, at a university, for example? I've looked on the Internet and haven't come up with anything thus far.

Maybe this should be in the non-BibleWorks section. However, I've written in the past (in the good ol' email days) about testing BibleWorks searches on the masoretic notes, accents, and the like. My quest for a text is in my mind still associated that kind of use.

Dan Pater