PDA

View Full Version : BibleWorks 7?

Ray
01-25-2005, 09:51 PM
Hello,

I was curious if anyone had an idea when the new version of BW is coming out? I really want to invest in this software but I am willing to wait if v7 comes out soon. Thanks in advance.

Ray

Joe Fleener
01-25-2005, 10:03 PM
Hi Ray,

It is really a Win/Win situation.

BibleWorks has a long standing policy that if you purchase their product within 90 days of a new release you can get the new version of just the cost of materials and shipping - very cheap.

So get 6.0 now, if 7.0 comes out in 90 days you are good to go, if it does not, you don't miss out on the enjoyment of 6 while you wait for 7! :D

Ray
01-26-2005, 01:09 AM
Hey Joe,

Thanks for your input... you make a very compelling argument, however it is written "So, as those who have been chosen of God, holy and beloved, put on a heart of compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience;" (Colossians 3:12 NASB). ;)

I just really don't want to miss out on the opportunity of licensing BW 7 the first time around as I am a poor collegian :( hahaha.

Ray

Ben Spackman
01-26-2005, 12:29 PM
Hi. Though there's no guarantee that it will happen the same way with this upgrade as the last one (ie. BW5>6), there was several months of beta-testing before moving to a new version. I don't believe there's currently any beta testing being done. My guess is that it's still several months off, but it's just that, a guess...

Ray
01-26-2005, 09:11 PM
Hi Ben,

Thanks for the heads up... I went ahead and picked one up today through Christian Educational Services, should be at my house on Friday! :) :) :)

Thanks for everyone's help!

Ray

jamcgowan
01-29-2005, 06:54 PM
I don't believe there's currently any beta testing being done.
I just arrived home from a BW Seminar...we were told there that BW7 is in fact under beta presently.

Jim McGowan

Ben Spackman
01-29-2005, 07:04 PM
I just arrived home from a BW Seminar...we were told there that BW7 is in fact under beta presently.

Jim McGowan
Beta development or actual beta testing among non-BW staff?

jamcgowan
01-29-2005, 11:57 PM
The person leading the training was NOT a BW staffer and indicated that he was in the process of BETA testing.

alan1979
01-30-2005, 12:34 AM
So if all this is true, what is the possible time that we have to wait until bibleworks 7 is being sold on the website? Also, is there any word at all what the new items will be?

alan

Ray
01-30-2005, 02:58 AM
I just got BW6 in the mail today... I hope v7 comes out within 90 days is it?

Ray

pastor-steve
01-30-2005, 03:04 AM
FYI-

In the computer software industry, alpha testing is internal testing. Beta testing is testing with a selected group of users outside the company. There is an occasional "open beta" where anyone can try the pre-release software, but that's only common in open source land.

Maybe BW should have aleph and beth testing instead. :-)

--Steve (ex-software developer) Whitney

Glenn Weaver
01-30-2005, 11:29 AM
I'm the non-BibleWorks staff person that taught the seminar in Texas yesterday.

While there are people testing new features, working out bugs, etc. of a new version of BibleWorks, this does not give ANY indication of a release date. Not until Mike is confident that it is ready and has everything that should be in the new version will he release it.

The presence of beta testers and a beta version doesn't have any indication of a release date. Only the BW staff have any idea of that. I am not saying that it is soon, nor am I saying that it is far away. I don't know.

My recommendation is to buy version 6 now. Even if a version 7 never came out, you still have (what I would argue) is the best Bible software on the planet, especially for the money. I don't know of anything this feature-rich for this low cost. $300 isn't pocket change for most people, but even at double or triple the cost I would buy it. The extra time to learn the program until 7 comes out is worth whatever upgrade cost you may have to pay.

ugotdave
01-30-2005, 05:53 PM
Hello Glenn -

This thread does not pertain to the topic, but I just wanted to say thank you for the seminar yesterday!

You did a great job!! A+

After the BW seminar my wife and I went to another seminar where a Karaite Jew, Nehemia Gordon, spoke for about 3 hours on (Shem - Tov's) Hebrew version of Matthew, you may ask, what is a Karaite Jew doing lecturing on the New Testament? Well, all I can say is that times are changing!! You may want to read his book he just wrote about it, it is only 100 pages, but it is packed full of scholarly insight on the book of Matthew.

Buy the time we got home our brains hurt!!

Let me know if your interested in the book.

Again Thank you.

David & Gray Morris

Ben Spackman
01-31-2005, 12:38 PM
While there are people testing new features, working out bugs, etc. of a new version of BibleWorks, this does not give ANY indication of a release date. Not until Mike is confident that it is ready and has everything that should be in the new version will he release it.
Glen, I tried to email and PM you, but those are disallowed for some reason. I beta-tested BW 5 and 6, and in December (after talking to the BW staff at the SBL conference in San Antonio) confirmed that I was on the beta-tester list. So what I meant to say above was, "I am currently doing no beta-testing and assume that means no one else is." That assumption is apparently wrong:o

Gilbert Salinas
01-31-2005, 03:28 PM
Hello Glenn -

This thread does not pertain to the topic, but I just wanted to say thank you for the seminar yesterday!

You did a great job!! A+

After the BW seminar my wife and I went to another seminar where a Karaite Jew, Nehemia Gordon, spoke for about 3 hours on (Shem - Tov's) Hebrew version of Matthew, you may ask, what is a Karaite Jew doing lecturing on the New Testament? Well, all I can say is that times are changing!! You may want to read his book he just wrote about it, it is only 100 pages, but it is packed full of scholarly insight on the book of Matthew.

Again Thank you.

David & Gray Morris

Hi Dave!

I am VERY interested in the book on Matthew. Please send info!

Gilbert

MBushell
02-01-2005, 11:42 AM
Hi BW Users,

Just to clarify things a bit. We are currently working on BibleWorks 7 and things are looking really good. We are in early stages of testing - whether you call it beta or alpha testing. We will enter formal beta testing once a few new modules are finished and documentation is finished, but that is several months away at this point. We are aiting on several databases that are under development to be finished. We have a number of people waiting to beta test but the list is frozen until we can get some documentation done.

This is going to be a nice release and I think everyone will be very pleased. Upgrade policies will not change significantly, and prices will not change much if any at all. We are hoping to have a release before the end of the year but early next year is a possibility. It is just too early to say at present. I hope you understand that we cannot give definite release dates because we would almost certainly miss them! We won't release until the upgrade is worth every penny of the upgrade price. My advice: go ahead and get 6.0 if you need it and can afford it. There will always be a new version in development, Lord willing.

I hope this is helpful. Sorry we can't say more right now.

God bless,
Mike

ugotdave
02-02-2005, 09:01 PM
Gilbert -

Did you get the information I sent you on the Book of Matthew?

tcblack
02-04-2005, 10:36 AM
Gilbert -

Did you get the information I sent you on the Book of Matthew?
I hate to miss out on that info if you can post it here :)

Tom

Dan Phillips
02-04-2005, 03:06 PM
Hi BW Users,

We are hoping to have a release before the end of the year but early next year is a possibility.

I'm looking forward to it. I recall, at one point, you spoke of an interim upgrade to 6 that would include, among other things, the HCSB. I guess that's gone by the wayside.

What I most wish you'd do in the meanwhile is put out the HCSB for current BW6 users.

Dan

ugotdave
02-04-2005, 06:16 PM
Tom -

Here is the information on the book "The Hebrew Yeshua vs. the Greek Jesus"
by Nehemia Gordon.
Enjoy :) !!

http://www.hebrewyeshua.com/

alan1979
02-05-2005, 03:54 PM
Hey Dan,

Do you have the HCSB? I used the builder to do it, wasn't sure you know that it is available

alan

Dan Phillips
02-05-2005, 08:06 PM
I don't have it in BW; I do have it in E-Sword, and there's a couple of web sites with it. But I'd rather have it in BW.

Last I heard on that was that we shouldn't, due to copyright restrictions. Also (unless I'm wrong), if we do it, no marginal notes, right?

Last year Mike or someone thought it'd be released for a sort of BW 6.2, and that's what I was hoping for. But that plan was cancelled.

Dan

alan1979
02-06-2005, 01:03 AM
The HCSB doesn't have any marginal notes for the bibleworks version. I wasn't aware that we shouldn't use it, if so i will remove it from bibleworks.

alan

Dan Phillips
02-06-2005, 10:56 AM
I really didn't mean to rain on your parade; I just recall an earlier discussion of this. Here it is:

http://www.bibleworks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=386&highlight=hcsb

Thanks for the kind offer!

Dan

nalsop
02-06-2005, 06:24 PM
Yes,
I would be interested in finding out about this book.
Could you email me at nicholas@alsop.com.
Thanks,
Nick

Hello Glenn -

You did a great job!! A+

Again Thank you.

David & Gray Morris

ugotdave
02-07-2005, 01:24 AM
Nick -
Check your e-mail. :)

jamcgowan
02-07-2005, 04:18 AM
I'm the non-BibleWorks staff person that taught the seminar in Texas yesterday.

Glenn,

When can we expect to receive the seminar notes? :confused:

vr8ce
02-07-2005, 11:44 AM
I really didn't mean to rain on your parade; I just recall an earlier discussion of this. Here it is:
http://www.bibleworks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=386&highlight=hcsb
Thanks for the kind offer!
Dan
The issue there was downloading a copy when you don't own a printed copy. This is (clearly, IMO) immoral and probably illegal, which was the point of the thread.

However, if you own a printed copy, then things possibly/probably change (I am not a lawyer, etc., etc., etc.).

Vince