PDA

View Full Version : NLT Version Update (Rev 1 6.0.011w)

MBushell
01-19-2005, 03:09 PM
NLT Version Update (Rev 1 6.0.011w)

BibleWorks Automatic Update Notification
Date: 01/19/05 at 15:07:18
Title: NLT Version Update (Rev 1 6.0.011w)
Description:

This patch updates the NLT to the newly revised (2004) version. Please note that the older version will be overwritten as requested by the publisher. If you want to keep the old one you can export it and recompile it under a new name.

Instructions:
To access these downloads go to the <Help|BibleWorks on the Web|Check for Web Updates...> option and follow the directions. This is a NOT a trial version. No access code is needed to download this patch.
If you have problems with this update please post a reply to this message on the BibleWorks Forum in the Official BibleWorks announcements section.

Affected Files:
nlt.bww | [databases]
nlt.dbx | [databases]
nlt.vmc | [databases]
nlt.vmf | [databases]
nlt.wdc | [databases]

alan1979
01-27-2005, 12:10 AM
I have already overwritten the old version of the NLT, is there anyway i can download it again so i can have both the update and the original? Where would I find the original version?

alan

Gontroppo
01-27-2005, 02:51 AM
Wouldn't it be on your CD, Alan?
Not saying I'd know how to find it, though.

I think it is interesting to compare the 2, which I've been doing with my book copy open.

I'm wondering if the new NLTs are available in shops, yet.
By the way, Tyndale will send you a pamphlet abotu the updating if you request it, but it is not online yet.
Yo ucan write to chrissmith@tyndale.com
I'm eagerly awaiting mine.

I reckon they are ensuring they have an up to date version to compete with the TNIV
David McKay
www.davidmckay.info (http://www.davidmckay.info)

MBushell
01-29-2005, 01:57 PM
Hi alan1979,

You could try saving the current files (NLT.*) somewhere, then put in your CD#1 and choose the repair option. This should rstore the old version. Then export it and recompile it giving it a new name, like NLO. This is pretty brief. But hopefully it will help. If this fails I can e-mail it to you but I'd rather not do that for a lot of people.

We would have preferred to keep both, like the NAS and NAU, but the publisher wants the old one to disappear. My first impression is that the new translation is much better than the old, more literal. But it is interesting to use the BW compare utility to check out the differences.

Mike

Gontroppo
01-30-2005, 01:55 AM
If anyone makes a copy of NLT 1 per Mike's instructions, I'd love a copy please! [I think I'd muck it up if I tried!]

I guess anyone who hasn't upgraded their NLT would probably have the old files.

What happens if you get a copy of the old files and simply rename them to NLO.* ? Would they show up in BibleWorks automatically, or is it more complicated?

David McKay

James H. Tifft
01-30-2005, 02:55 AM
Mike,
I got the message of an update available and when I went to do the update, I find that version update is already in my system, but the news item just came? Am I missing something? Or do I have to do something different to get the new NLT update? I don't really want to save the old one, do I?

Jim T.

Gontroppo
01-30-2005, 08:07 AM
I managed to do the first half of Mike's instructions, but can't figure out now I have the old files again how you would recompile them.

How do you create a DDF file, please?
And the text file?

Thanks!
David McKay

Gontroppo
01-30-2005, 08:28 AM
How do you convert a *.bww file into a text file, please?
Think I've worked out how to create a .ddf, now.

David McKay

Mark Eddy
01-30-2005, 11:29 PM
Why would you want to convert a .bww file to a .txt file? .bww files display in the auto-info window or in the editor. .txt files can appear in the results window after the database compiler compiles a version from a .txt file. .bww files contain notes on the origin of a version. .txt files contain the actual words of the version itself.

But you can always convert one file into another in "My computer," by using the "rename" command.

Please explain your need, if this wasn't helpful.
Mark Eddy

Gontroppo
01-31-2005, 04:07 AM
G'day Mark. Thanks for your reply.

See this post from Mike Bushell:
------------------------------------------------
You could try saving the current files (NLT.*) somewhere, then put in your CD#1 and choose the repair option. This should rstore the old version. Then export it and recompile it giving it a new name, like NLO. This is pretty brief. But hopefully it will help. If this fails I can e-mail it to you but I'd rather not do that for a lot of people.
--------------------------------------------------

I have saved the old files, as per Mike's instructions.
But I don't understand how I can use them, now I have NLT2 loaded.

I exported the old NLT and got a NLT.bww file. I thought tht I then had to convert this to a text file, to use in creating NLT 1 as a user database.

If not, what do I have to do?

You don't seem to be able to simply reload the old nlt.* files, renamed to be able to use the old database.

David McKay

pastor-steve
01-31-2005, 03:20 PM
I had the same problem David is having at first, until I realized that I could tell BW what format to save the NLT into...

Now I have a nice nlt.txt file.

Here's my problem. After I compile the old NLT version as NLO, I end up with these note markers in the text:

Genesis 1:1-2 In the beginning God created<N1> the heavens and the earth. 2 The earth was empty, a formless mass cloaked in darkness. And the Spirit of God was hovering over its surface.

And what should be small caps for YHWH look like this:

Genesis 2:7 And the LORD] God formed a man's body from the dust of the ground and breathed into it the breath of life. And the man became a living person.

(bold and red added)

I doesn't seem to matter what setting I choose for "notes" or "has small caps." Maybe it's too late to fix it after I've compiled it once?

Anyway, I'm new to version compiling. Can anyone tell me what settings to use (or better yet, provide a DDF file for the NLT)?

Thanks,

Steve

Clinton Branscombe
01-31-2005, 07:35 PM
I had something similar my first try. I tried again with "Has Small Caps", "Has Italics" and "Has Superscripts" all checked. It was the "Has Superscripts" that threw me off, but it appears to me that it changes the <N1> entry to a proper superscript.

When you looked at your newly compiled version, did it have the marginal notes when you hovered over the <N1>?

pastor-steve
02-01-2005, 01:47 AM
Thanks, Clinton.

The other thing I had to do was remove the version and reinstall it. Recompiling with "install after compiling" isn't sufficient to make the change.

Now I'm in business!

--Steve

JAMiller
02-28-2005, 06:39 PM
Sorry about the late post, but I have only now had the chance to compile the original NLT to NLO (I had not yet applied the update). Everything went fairly smoothly, but I have two (2) ‘problems':

(1) no TSK cross-references display for the NLO (I did the initial export with the ‘cross-references' box checked).

(2) I received different statistics for each version newly compiled NLO versus original NLT installed by CD. NLO1 = with Apostrophe feature using "Keep Always" option and NLO2 = with Apostrophe feature using "Check for Possessive" feature. The differences are as follows:

Number of Verses: NLT:31103; NLO1:31062; NLO2:31602
Number of Blank Verses: NLT:0; NLO1:41; NLO2: 41
Total Number of Words: NLT:740388; NLO1:741635; NLO2:743043
Number of Unique Words: NLT:14908; NLO1:15190; NLO2:14896

The 41 blank verses listed after compiling the NLO are: Num 1:21, 23, 25, 27, 29, 31, 33, 35, 37, 39, 41, 43; 2:4, 6, 8, 11, 13, 15, 19, 21, 23, 26, 28, 30; Mat 17:21; 18:11; 23:14; Mar 7:16; 9:44, 46; 11:26; 15:28; Luk 17:36; 23:17; Joh 5:4; Act 8:37; 15:34; 24:7; 28:29; Rom 16:24; Heb 13:21.

So, my questions:

(1) Has anyone managed to get the TSK cross-references for the recompiled NLT (my NLO) to display? If so, how?

(2) If the verses listed for the NLO are added to the blank verses, the total number of verses in the NLO matches the NLT. When the original NLT is compared with the NLO concerning the blank verses, they both appear to have blanks at the verses listed above, with the exception of Matt 18:11 where the NLT is mapped to 18:10 but the NLO to a blank at 18:11; Mar 11:26 where NLT is mapped to 11:25 but NLO to a blank 11:26; Acts 8:37 where NLT is mapped to 8:36 but NLO to a blank 8:37. This is how they appeared in the Results Window, anyhow. But how do we correct the differences in words in the files? Or is there a way to simply recompile the update?

(3) Steve Whitney mentioned installing the version, but not with the "install after compiling" feature. I first compiled my .txt file and then recompiled used the "install after compiling" feature, but how else do you install the compiled database without using the "install after compiling" feature? Does this make a difference?

BTW–I got rid of the display of "N1" by using the "End Notes" feature for the Notes setting, instead of the "Embedded Notes" option. What other settings did the rest of you use in 3c? I have not found that changing the "Dash Character" setting altered the results.

PS–I still have both the 1996 NLT and my newly compiled NLO as databases. I am hoping to resolve the above questions before updating to the 2004 NLT.

Jim

MBushell
03-03-2005, 09:23 PM
Hi Jim,

I took a look at the problem and found a number of issues. The stats were wrong for both the old NLT and the recompiled NLT (NLO). The issue was, I think, the way fractions were being dealt with. Also, the original NLT on the CD was compiled before we started tracking blank line info and inclusing it in the compiled version. So that is why the discrepancy in the number of verses.

I made some changes in the compiler and program to handle the fractions better, though I did not change the version number of the program for this. In any case, grabe the exe and recompile the NLO and you should be OK. I don't think there are any other versions that have this problem.

Hopefully this will solve the problem for you.

God bless,

Mike

Dale A. Brueggemann
05-31-2005, 12:44 PM
This patch updates the NLT to the newly revised (2004) version. Please note that the older version will be overwritten as requested by the publisher. If you want to keep the old one you can export it and recompile it under a new name.

I failed to do this when BW updated; however, I now am wishing that I still had the NLT-1. I'm writing a commentary on Numbers that's based on NLT-2 and keep wishing I had an easy way to compare. Can someone e-mail the exported NLT-1 to me to I can compile and re-include it in my BW6 database? If so, mail to dale.brueggemann@agmd.org

alan1979
05-31-2005, 05:18 PM
If someone can send me NLT-1 as well I would appreciate it. My email address is scoobiesnackarff@aol.com

On a side note Dale, how does one begin to write a commentary. I know that is a question that would probably take 10 books to answer, but how do you begin? Thanks,

Alan

vr8ce
06-01-2005, 06:49 PM
... I'm writing a commentary on Numbers that's based on NLT-2 and keep wishing I had an easy way to compare. ...
Dale, I keep forgetting to ask a perhaps obvious (and surely often asked) question -- are you any relation to Walter?

Dale A. Brueggemann
06-02-2005, 04:53 AM
Dale, I keep forgetting to ask a perhaps obvious (and surely often asked) question -- are you any relation to Walter?

Yes; my father and he are first cousins.

acts1810
10-14-2005, 05:10 PM
For some reason I still have the old NLT on my BW 6. When I check for updates it tells me none are available, but when I look at the version information for NLT it still says 1996.
Help, please.

JLP

Michael Hanel
10-14-2005, 06:57 PM
For some reason I still have the old NLT on my BW 6. When I check for updates it tells me none are available, but when I look at the version information for NLT it still says 1996.
Help, please.

JLP

You can get it at this site
http://www.bibleworks.com/DLSP_R_v6_rev1.htm

acts1810
10-18-2005, 01:13 PM
Yes, that worked. I now have NLT second edition. But now I have a problem. When I check the Web for updates I get a long list of stuff that I have already downloaded (including the NLT update).:confused:

Michael Hanel
10-18-2005, 05:07 PM
While you're at the Install Updates window, go to Options and uncheck "Show Downloaded Patches" That should do ya

acts1810
10-23-2005, 10:22 PM
Thanks.:rolleyes: