PDA

View Full Version : Searching BibleWorks notes files (.bww files)

mlward
01-19-2005, 02:56 PM
Has anyone figured out a convenient way to search BibleWorks notes files?

I would like to configure Google Desktop Search to be able to search them.

I have version 5.

Mark

MrShep
03-11-2006, 03:41 AM
I found this question was asked in another post (http://www.bibleworks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=360&highlight=search+notes)--and the answer to that post was, QUOTE "it will be in the next version of Bibleworks".

Since I've got my upgrade on order, I wonder if this is available in BW7?

Searching through multiple rtf text files in multiple directories can become time consuming. Presently, the only way that I can think of to search these text files is with a utility application called "Search and Replace" made by Funduc Software (http://www.funduc.com).

It's a handy dandy --and relatively inexpensive ($30). It can search your hardrive, an entire directory, or an individual file for a word (or string).

BUT -- if BibleWorks can do this for me -- all the better.

marshall

pingpongjedi
03-11-2006, 07:40 AM
Yes, BW will search your notes. Check out chapter 16 of the help file.

And as the first poster mentioned, Google, Yahoo, and Copernic all have desktop search clients that can do the same thing and don't cost anything.

MrShep
03-11-2006, 04:52 PM
:) I've never used the Google tool, however it looks useful, thanks. I use Funduc Search & Replace for my programming needs.

Thank You!

D Hsu
01-25-2008, 12:55 AM
Could someone show me how to use Google Desktop to search the BibleWorks 7 notes files? I am really excited about the Bibleworks notes. I configured the Google Desktop preference to include add the path
C:\Program Files\BibleWorks 7\notes\ to the search. But somehow I am still not able to search the notes. Can someone show me what I am doing wrong?
Thanks.

arggem
01-25-2008, 05:17 AM
I don't use Google Desktop so this is just a guess, but do you need to configure it to search .BWW files, too?

Adelphos
01-25-2008, 03:19 PM
Has anyone figured out a convenient way to search BibleWorks notes files?

You can easily search BW notes from within BW by clicking on the "Find in files" icon on the button bar in the user notes.

D Hsu
01-28-2008, 11:01 AM
Thanks guys for the comments. I know BW7 can search the note files. But there is strong advantage to use a program like Google Desktop to search these notes files. Since Google Desktop can search files across multiple platforms, with a simple search command, I can search all my emails, web records, Word files of sermon illustrations, and bible study notes all at one time. I am still trying to figure out how to get Google Desktop to search the .bww files. With all the Word-like editing tools available in the notes window, I am assuming that the .bww files should be very similar to the .doc files and be easily searchable. I am just trying to figure out how to configure Google Desktop to do this. If anyone has some insights on this, it is greatly appreciated.

Michael Hanel
01-28-2008, 01:31 PM
Try looking at this thread. It has a suggestion that should work.
http://www.bibleworks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=987&highlight=larry%27s

D Hsu
01-28-2008, 02:45 PM
Thank you Michael. Actually I also figured it out this morning after looking at the Google Desktop help sections. Download the Larry's anyfile index plugin for Google desktop, add the bww file extension and it did the trick. With this setup, the Google desktop is able to search inside my BW7 study notes, and one search can now pull up all the relevant materials - illustrations, old sermons, notes... it is awesome! :)Thanks!