PDA

View Full Version : Fake copy of BibleWorks!

Theophilus7
01-18-2005, 02:20 PM
Hi,

I suspect that someone I know has a fake copy of BibleWorks. Is there any official way of verifying this? Should BibleWorks registration codes be different for each person?

Thanks!

Michael Hanel
01-18-2005, 05:37 PM
I suppose it's ironic that one would steal Biblical programs, assuming of course that one really believes what one is studying... such is the state of affairs. To my knowledge unless there were something really widespread I doubt BibleWorks would actively go after and prosecute such individuals (that would be rather costly and time consuming). There might be ways to block a given program from being able to get updates, but that's theoretical. Anyway, the most effective way (in my mind) is to tell the person that what they're doing is wrong. BibleWorks is expensive, but it is worth its price. They can keep using it if they want to, but I would hope they let their conscience be their guide.

Mike

Gontroppo
01-18-2005, 10:33 PM
The most stolen book is the bible.
We had one go missing after church last Sunday.
It gets lifted from bookshops more than any other book, I believe.

David McKay

Dale A. Brueggemann
01-19-2005, 06:32 AM
I suppose it's ironic that one would steal Biblical programs, assuming of course that one really believes what one is studying.... BibleWorks is expensive, but it is worth its price. Mike

An actually, BibleWorks is very affordable if you compare it with other programs with roughly similar resources and complexity (e.g., Logos, Accordance for the Mac).
Never take advantage of poor and destitute [computer programmers], whether they are fellow Israelites or foreigners living in your towns. You must pay them their wages each day before sunset because they are poor and are counting on it. If you don't, they might cry out to the LORD against you, and it would be counted against you as sin. (Dt. 24:14f.)

Joe Fleener
01-19-2005, 07:58 AM
I would agree, the best course of action would be to confront your "brother/sister" in love.

Let them know the process for purchasing their own copy and even BibleWorks' 90 return policy if they are just wanting to "try it out."

Antti
01-19-2005, 04:00 PM
I was today asked if I could copy Bibleworks to a fellow student. He had gramcord copied already. It's sad but quite common.