PDA

View Full Version : Converting BWGRKL to SP Ionic?

MortenJensen
01-14-2005, 03:43 AM
Hi
Citing Josephus, I normally use the bwgrkl-font.
Now, I am writing an article for a book, where I am instructed to use the SP Ionic font available at the SBL website.

UNFORTUNATELY it is not possible to convert directly - so here I have my paper with lots of citations in the BW-font - and need to go to the SBL-font.

Does anyone know if a macro can do that?
Can I convert first to Unicode and from the to SP Ionic?

Otherwise I will have to do a lot of cut'n paste from Perseus...

Morten

MortenJensen
01-20-2005, 09:21 AM
Does anyone have an idea?

Michael Hanel
01-20-2005, 11:14 AM
Essentially all that is needed is a macro where you replace all the characters from whatever the BWGRKL map has to whatever is needed in SP Ionic. I'm not familiar enough with SP Ionic to get the examples right, but say most of the letters are the same, but you need to change "C" (a chi on BWGRKL) to "X" to get the same chi on SP Ionic. That's the type of thing that you have to do. And no, to my knowledge, there isn't a macro out there that goes BWGRKL->SP Ionic, but it wouldn't be too difficult to do. Perhaps just time consuming :) But if you're doing this a lot, it'll be much quicker to get it working than spending time cutting and pasting!

Mike

Philip Brown
01-20-2005, 04:24 PM
Does anyone have an idea?

If you're not familiar with building your own macros, my suggestion is to record a search and replace operation for 'alpha', for example, and then use it as a template for making all the other replacements.

You would do that in Word with
1. Tools | Macros | Record New Macro
2. Name it something like BwgrklToSPIonic
3. Do Search and Replace (Edit | Replace) ... I recommend that you specify the font for each replacement: e.g., replace bwgrkl x with spionic c; replace bwgrkl c with spionic x, replace bwgrkl j with spionic v.
4. After you have stopped the macro from recording (press the blue square), Go to Tool | Macros | Macros, find the BwgrklToSPIonic macro you just created and click Step Into
5. At this point you'll need to learn something about Word's macro language -- you know what the program just did, so you ought to be able to figure out what the VBA code means.

If you want an example of what the macro might look like, see my macro for converting GraecaIItoBwgrkl here (http://www.bibleworks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=303&highlight=macro).

Hope that helps some.

MortenJensen
01-21-2005, 05:10 AM
Hi
Thanks for the answer.

Now, using the macro here: http://www.bibleworks.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2174&postcount=12
I was able to convert all the bwgrkl to Palatino Linotype.

A funny thing is that when I highlight the text and try to change the font to SP Ionic, nothing happens.
Must have something to do with the Unicode font.

Making my own macro would really take a lot of time - now that I have all the passages in Palatino, is there then a way to get it to bwgrkl?

Thanks
Morten

wie
01-21-2005, 08:38 AM
Hi
Thanks for the answer.

Now, using the macro here: http://www.bibleworks.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2174&postcount=12
I was able to convert all the bwgrkl to Palatino Linotype.

Well, then you already have it. Ctrl-A and change to Times. Nobody should complain about using Times, he?

Philip Brown
01-21-2005, 08:51 AM
Hi, Morten,

If Wieland's suggestion works, that's great. It didn't work for me

If SP Ionic is really a Unicode font, which I don't think it is, then all you would have to do is replace "Palatino Linotype" in the macro text you used with "SP Ionic" and it would work perfectly.

I tried with Gentium and Galatia SIL, both Unicode fonts, and it worked great.

I don't have SP Ionic on my machine here at home or I could verify this.

Philip

MortenJensen
01-22-2005, 05:26 AM
Hi again!
I am sure that SP Ionic is not an unicode font but a regular ttf. It is free for download at the sbl-website, so I upload it here.

The reason I have to use that font is that the article is going to appear in a book published on Brill - and that is the font they use. I have virtually a hundred citations in Greek now formatted in the BW-font, which I will have to substitute manually if I am not lucky with the help from you...

Thanks for taking your time on this issue!

Morten

Link to the font: http://www.sbl-site.org/Resources/Resources_BiblicalFonts.aspx

J Kendall
01-22-2005, 07:09 AM
Morten,

Indeed, SPIonic is not a Unicode font. As has already been mentioned, I think that the quickest way to handle the problem will be for you to write a macro. My Bwgrkl to Unicode macro, which you seem to have found, is heavily commented and may help you in writing one for SPIonic. I think this should be simpler than doing the conversion to Unicode. I'd like to help, but I'm afraid that I really don't have time at the moment to do the work for you.

John
--
John Kendall
Cardiff
Wales

wie
01-22-2005, 07:42 AM
You misunderstood me.
If you have it already in Palatino, which is Unicode, you can easily convert it in any other Unicode font, e.g. Times.

MGVH
01-22-2005, 10:51 PM
SPIonic is NOT an Unicode font, so using the macro that converts bwgrkl to Unicode won't help.
Times New Roman does not contain all the characters that are needed for all the Greek accented characters. You need to use Palatino or Cardo or one of the others that have the Greek characters.

wie
01-24-2005, 03:43 AM
SPIonic is NOT an Unicode font, so using the macro that converts bwgrkl to Unicode won't help.

???
Just tested. At least all BW characters and accents are there. There should be no difference between Times and Palatino.
The only question now is if the publisher accepts Unicode fonts.

MortenJensen
01-24-2005, 08:10 AM
Hi John Kendell

I fully understand!
Well, I can't write a macro my self, so I guess it will have to be done on a manual basis.

If someone one day would write such a macro, it would be of great benefit. The SBL-font foundation has several well-known publishing houses as subscribers (like Brill and Baker-academic), and it only uses the SP Ionic font. That is to say that if you want to publish a book on Baker academic, you have to convert to this font.

I guess it would be an issue for Bibleworks, actually, to work out such a macro to support the versatility of the own font.

Best wishes

Morten

Michael Hanel
01-24-2005, 08:52 AM
I know there are probably complications in the publishing industry, but i would be shocked if SBL doesn't sometime soon change to Unicode as a standard as well, that would make the entire process a whole lot more uniform. It's just a matter of time...

mike

Michael Hanel
02-04-2005, 05:58 PM
I ran across this website today on the Bgreek list http://s91279732.onlinehome.us/convert.htm. So hopefully that will be handy to someone.