PDA

View Full Version : Helpful BibleWorks Tips

Charlie
04-02-2004, 05:25 PM
This thread will be devoted to posts where we share particularly helpful tips we've learned regarding BibleWorks.

Let's try to keep this thread clean from frivolous posts. (ie. please refrain from posting things like "golly that's great" or "me too") This will help make this area much more useful to people who are here to learn. Thanks.

I'm looking forward to seeing what you've all learned.

Charlie

Charlie
04-02-2004, 05:28 PM
I'll start us off with a simple but important one.

Question:
BibleWorks has the very nice feature of allowing you to move your mouse over the text of a tagged Bible version and seeing a wealth of information regarding the word under the mouse automatically appear in the "Auto-Info Window" just below the Bible text. Often however, you will need to scroll through the information in the "Auto-Info Window" (AIW) but this requires you to move your mouse off of the word. How do you do this without the AIW jumping to a differnt entry?

Answer:
You can freeze the "Auto-Info Window" while moving your mouse over Bible text by holding the Shift key down.

Ben Spackman
04-02-2004, 05:40 PM
I have a mouse with extra buttons, one under the thumb. I've assigned the thumb button to act like a shift-key in BW, which means I can freeze the AI window with my thumb, mousing around, instead of the keyboard.

Vernon Bauer
04-03-2004, 03:33 PM
Another way to "freeze" the info in the AI window while using the mouse without having to use the <Shift Key> is to <Right click> on the word in the Result Window, but instead of selecting an option from the popup menu go to the AI window and click there. The popup menu and word selection goes away, but the AI information remains the same.

Philip Brown
04-03-2004, 04:00 PM
Although I already posted this elsewhere, perhaps it is appropriate to post it here as well.

When one changes the Results Window font sizes, a BW dialog says you have to restart BW for font changes to be implemented. That's not actually true. ;)

The truth is if, after resetting the font size, you move the Results Window up or down one verse, you will automatically get the new font size you desire.

I've used this in the classroom and never had the program blink.

tcblack
04-03-2004, 04:39 PM
Go to Tools>Options> Directories and move your BW notes to your "My Documents" folder (Best under a subdirectory i.e. c:\documents and settings\<username>\My documents\BibleWorks\)

It's much easier to back up your "My Documents folder" than it is to backup several different locations. (and it's much easier to recover from a total system crash!)

Best yet when you change the directory, BibleWorks will move your files for you to the new location.

Glen McCluskey
04-09-2004, 05:03 PM
I have a simple tip that I would like to share.

One of the things I like to be able to do when studying the Bible is view two Bible passages at once. For example, I might have a primary passage that I'm looking at, and at some point I might wish to do a search or use the TSK or something, without disturbing the primary passage displayed in the main results window.

I never found a good way to do this in BW until recently. What I discovered is that the parallel window feature can be used for this purpose. From the command line you can say something like "p nau", to bring up the Parallel Bibles window with just the NAU in it.

BW remembers the position of this window from session to session, so you can "train" BW to put the window in the lower left or lower right of the screen, away from the main results window.

This window has the focus, and will be used when stepping through search hits or the TSK. Meanwhile, the primary display window with your Bible passage remains untouched.

jdarlack
04-12-2004, 11:04 PM
Recently I had to replace my ini files, which meant I had to reconfigure my user settings.

I forget how to set the commandline to do morphological searches without displaying the morphological text in the results window (it takes up a lot of space!)

Help!

~Jim

Joe Fleener
04-13-2004, 07:43 AM
In order not to display the morphology version in the results window, when you choose a morphology version as your serach version you need to:

Go to tools - options - option flags (tab)

Expand the + sign for Results Window Configuration Options

Place a check in the box for Do not automatically make morphology version display version

I believe this options is available for 5.0 and 6.0, but not for 4.0

jdarlack
04-13-2004, 08:03 AM
Wow, I post a reply late at night and by 7am the next morning I have an answer.

Thanks!

Philip Brown
04-17-2004, 09:11 PM
Just in case you use secondary results windows and didn't know about these features:

If you right click just below the window bar, you should receive a menu offering the following options:

Show Current Verse
Show buttons
Show Outline Heading
Show Browse Listboxes
Show Command Line
No Results Window Header
-------------------------------
Disable Auto-Info Window
Use Short Results Window

If you choose Show Command Line you can navigate to any passage of Scripture, just as from the commandline, enter search limits, do full Command Line searches (only negative is there is not a separate verse list window available to secondary RWs -- if you want that you should clone)

The buttons allow you to toggle between browse and multiple-version mode, choose display versions (but you can do this directly from the command line if you have that option turned on), show Strong's numbers, turn the Auto-Info
window on/off, show verse notes, and open the copy center.

Hope this is helpful to someone.

Philip Brown
04-17-2004, 09:25 PM
Here's a tip for moving from one Scripture passage to another when using Parallel Windows.

Rather than using the spin buttons that move a book, chapter, or verse at a time, you can open the Popup-Copy (Ctrl+Shft+B) and it brings up a Command Line in which you can enter the reference to which you want to move.

Another way that involves a few more clicks, but is still much better than the spin buttons is to right-click at the top of one of the parallel windows and choose Show Command Line, this allows you the same access to a command line.

Another tip on Parallel Windows:
Sometime I want to look at an OT text in one window and a NT text in the other (or a similar parallel configuration). However, the Parallel Windows (PWs) by default both move to the same passage. This can, however, be easily changed.

1. Right click at the top of the PW you do not want to change.
2. You must have "Show Outline Heading" turned ON.
3. At the far left of the Outline heading is a small box with an X in it. Click in the box to remove the X.
4. The X indicates whether that PW is synced with the other parallel window(s) beside it.
5. Now that you've turned off the X in the one PW, go to the other and right click at the top of it.
6. Turn on the Show Command Line option.
7. Type into the command line the second passage you would like to look at.
8. You should now be able to view two (or more) different passages in parallel windows.

Normally when I do this I uncheck all the X boxes to remove all syncing.

frankenfro
08-05-2004, 04:30 PM
bumping...would like to see this thread get more input now that BW6 has been out longer.

I've said this in another post, but i always open the Display Query Info from the ASE (the little wrench at the top) to include a little summary of the query for when i want to use it later and then save the query. That's been helpful for me. I also use this function whenever i save any ASE queries posted to these forums.