PDA

View Full Version : Highlighting Greek Participles & Infinitives

Joseph B. Modica
01-09-2005, 03:39 PM
Could someone please step me through how one can color-code both participles (red) and infinitives (blue) in, say, the GNT? What I would like to see (for teaching purposes) when I use a particular Greek text are both participles and infintives color-coded. Many thanks.

Joe Fleener
01-09-2005, 08:28 PM
1. Make your search version BNM

2. Search on .*@vp* (for all participles)

3. Right-click on the first highlighted result from your seach (lego,menoj in Matt 1:16)

4. Choose "Set Text Color Options..." from the context menu.

5. Choose your prefered background and text color (red) and whether you want bold, underline, etc.

6. Ensure that "Apply to Search Results" and "Include brother text" are selected.

7. Click Apply.

You will now see all your participles in red.

To make all your infinitives blue follow the same steps as above but search for .*@vn* in step 2 and choose blue for your color in step 5.

Hope this helps.

Joseph B. Modica
01-11-2005, 05:46 PM
Dear Joe: Many thanks for your swift reply. My multicolored Greek text is wonderful. Peace, --Joe

whyndell
01-20-2005, 05:54 AM
I have tried several times and cannot get my text to appear in the colors specified. When I go to the search results it just appears in "yellow highlight".

Did I apply the colors wrong?

Joe Fleener
01-20-2005, 06:48 AM
Hi whyndell,

Not sure when you are seeing the yellow.

If you look at the steps in my first post. You will see everything you search for in step #2 in yellow. After applying the color in step #7 your yellow highlighted words should change to the color chosen (assuming one did not choose yellow :) ).

Now as you navigate through the BNT (in this example) every time you come to a verse with a participle (in this example) you will see it in red (again in this example.)

However, if you were to search for all the participles again (as in step #2) you would see all of them highlighted in yellow, since they would now be the results of your search.

I hope this makes sense to you...let me know if it does not.

whyndell
01-21-2005, 06:29 AM
Ahh! the key word my brain kept overlooking was "search".

I was thinking (there I go again hurting myself) it would continue to display all participles in red in all the verses I looked at. Two different issues here.

Ok I have had my coffee, is there anyway to color code verbs, parts, adj. etc so they display in specific colors in the Greek text? That is in normal use not in search mode.

Whyndell

Joe Fleener
01-21-2005, 06:52 AM
is there anyway to color code verbs, parts, adj. etc so they display in specific colors in the Greek text? That is in normal use not in search mode.

Whyndell

Hi Whyndell,

If you follow the steps given in my first post you will have all your participles in red.

You can then repeat the steps for verbs (or just aorist verbs - whatever you want) by changing what you search for in step #2 and applying a different color in step #5.

Once you have done the searches and applied the colors you will see those parts of speach in the colors you have given them anytime you read the BNT from that point on whether you are searching or not.

I am still drinking my coffee so I still may not be explaining things the best way...let me know!