PDA

View Full Version : Search Hebrew and give Greek variants

jakemccarty
01-03-2005, 10:20 PM
Hello,

From what I understand, Accordance can perform this search, but I haven't been able to figure out if Bibleworks performs it (except by tediously building verse lists).

Can I find out all of the Greek translations for a specific Hebrew word with ease?

An example might be: the different LXX translations of bitola (e.g. maiden, virgin, etc...) as parthenos in Verse X:XX, thugateres in Verse X:XX, and so on.

Will the tagged inscriptions or tagged Mishnah be available on Bibleworks soon?

Best,
Jake

Ruben Gomez
01-04-2005, 05:32 AM
Hello,

From what I understand, Accordance can perform this search, but I haven't been able to figure out if Bibleworks performs it (except by tediously building verse lists).

Can I find out all of the Greek translations for a specific Hebrew word with ease?

An example might be: the different LXX translations of bitola (e.g. maiden, virgin, etc...) as parthenos in Verse X:XX, thugateres in Verse X:XX, and so on.

Will the tagged inscriptions or tagged Mishnah be available on Bibleworks soon?

Best,
JakeI'm afraid you can't do that with BibleWorks in any straitghtforward way. The reason being that you need a specialized database, like Prof. Emanuel Tov's Hebrew Masoretic Text and Septuagint Parallel Database. This is the module used by Accordance to perform the kind of searches you request.

You can, however, do cross-version searches (i.e., Hebrew and Greek searches simultaneously). For instance, you could easily find out those verses where BHS (WTM) and LXX (BLM) contain "betulah" and "parthenos," respectively. Short of having the aforementioned Tov's database, I guess this is the closest you can get to what you are asking for.

Best,

Ruben Gomez

MBushell
01-04-2005, 10:50 AM
Hi BW Users,

The next release of BibleWorks will have the Tov BHS-LXX parallel database and that will handle most needs for finding Hebrew-Greek equivalents. It's looking really nice! Unfortunately there are no good alternatives until then.

The Misnah and Inscriptions probably will noy make it into 7.0 but there is a good possibility of a followup addon for them. We will be adding a lot of new material in the next release. I think you will be pleased. We cannot give a date, but it is certainly several months away.

God bless,
Mike

Michael Hanel
01-04-2005, 11:43 AM
Hi BW Users,

The next release of BibleWorks will have the Tov BHS-LXX parallel database and that will handle most needs for finding Hebrew-Greek equivalents. It's looking really nice! Unfortunately there are no good alternatives until then.

The Misnah and Inscriptions probably will noy make it into 7.0 but there is a good possibility of a followup addon for them. We will be adding a lot of new material in the next release. I think you will be pleased. We cannot give a date, but it is certainly several months away.

God bless,
Mike
Let me be the first to say, "Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy, oh boy!!" :)

We greatly look forward to the new additions!!

Mike