PDA

View Full Version : case sensitive searches

wcfeigal
01-03-2005, 08:28 PM
How does one do a case sensitive search? I want to search for Spirit and not get results which have spirit in them.

Ruben Gomez
01-04-2005, 04:06 AM
How does one do a case sensitive search? I want to search for Spirit and not get results which have spirit in them.If you want to perform case sensitive searches you will have to use the Advanced Search Engine (ASE). When you open the Word Box Options dialog, check the Case sensitive checkbox (under Options). In this particular case you should write "Spirit" (without the quotes), check the Case sensitive box and click OK. Run the search query and you'll find what you're after. I tried it with the NAU as my search version, and BW returned 214 verses (235 hits) in the NT.

Theoretically, it is possible to run case sensitive searches from the Command Line by using Regular Expressions. Thus, the search "~Spirit" (again, without the quotes) should give you every verse containing "Spirit" in it (but not "spirit"). Howerver, in my experience these kinds of serches are not reliable. Besides, BW will not highlight the hit words.

BTW, when I tried "~Spirit" with NRS as my search version, the program (BW 6.0.011s) invariably crashed on me... Anyone else can reproduce this behavior?

Hope this helps,

Ruben Gomez

wcfeigal
01-04-2005, 10:10 AM
Ruben, Thanks for the help. I used the ASE and it worked great.