PDA

View Full Version : importing database text to word

Michael Hanel
01-01-2005, 03:48 PM
Maybe someone out there will be able to help me simplify this problem. I've exported a barebones database so it looks like this

XXX 1:1
XXX 1:2
XXX 1:3
etc.

So I have all of the right formatting for preparation to include the text in a document

Then I have the document that has the text i want to put into the skeletal structure. So my question is what is the easiest way to put the two of those together? Is it really a matter of copying and pasting or is there some quicker way of doing a find/replace function maybe in Word? Can you use tables or something to do it in columns to make the copying and pasting work at once rather than one verse at a time??

Just looking for short cuts from people who have done this before.

Mike Hanel
MA Classics Student Washington University
MDiv Student Concordia Seminary

jdarlack
01-01-2005, 09:29 PM
Hi Mike,

I know that there are easier ways to do this...I just don't have the programming down yet to do it. In the past, however I have taken the raw text with hard returns separating each verse of text and imported it into an Excel file (each verse should be in its own cell). Then I would create two columns to the left of the text, and then put the bookname abbrev., a space and then the chapter no. followed by a colon in the first column. Then I would number the second column in the consecutive verses needed. (This can be done automatically with Excell by numbering the first three cells in the column, selecting all three cells, and then clicking and dragging the bottom right corner of the last selected cell down the column. (This numbers each row appropriately.)
I would then copy all of the relevant data to a word file, convert from table to text and remove any tabs. This then gave me the correct formatting...

Again, there is probably a much easier way, but I don't have to tools to do it yet...I am hoping to pick up some C soon to do so...in between semesters...

Michael Hanel
01-01-2005, 11:55 PM
Then I would create two columns to the left of the text, and then put the bookname abbrev., a space and then the chapter no. followed by a colon in the first column. Then I would number the second column in the consecutive verses needed. (This can be done automatically with Excell by numbering the first three cells in the column, selecting all three cells, and then clicking and dragging the bottom right corner of the last selected cell down the column. (This numbers each row appropriately.)
Genius move my friend! I found a smaller short cut yet. You can combine the columns you suggest into one and then select three consecutive rows and it'll do the numbering. So in the first column I did ILI 1:1 and then ILI 1:2, ILI 1:3 in the second and third and dragged that all the way down. Then I put the text in the second column. That made the process much cleaner when converting to a table. Thanks for your help, your shortcuts were just what I was looking for and knew had to exist!! :)

Mike