PDA

View Full Version : Mark in Anglosaxon? -Just Curious

Greg Crawford
12-22-2004, 03:48 AM
Just for fun, I downloaded and compiled the Gospel of Mark in Anglosaxon. Now I am curious as to the usefulness of this translation. My Scottish grandmother used to refer to the English as "Sassanacks", apparently a reference to Saxons. However, I doubt that the English still speak this language.

My day won't come to a halt if I don't know the answer, but what is the usefulness of Mark's Gospel in Anglosaxon? :)

Mark Eddy
01-10-2005, 10:07 PM
Since nobody has replied yet, I'll give it a shot. I have looked at Mark in Anglo-Saxon a few times to see if it is closer to German or to Latin. Since English developed out of the merger of Anglo-Saxon and old French, I thought it might be interesting to see what parts of our current language are more Germanic and which are more derived from the use of Latin in church. I haven't come to any conclusions. And I certainly don't know why whoever developed the text for BibleWorks wanted it. Maybe he'll chime in some day.
In Christ,
Mark Eddy

Greg Crawford
01-11-2005, 10:33 AM
Mark,

Thanks for attempting a reply. I had all but given up. My question comes from academic curiosity and I suppose there is a fruitful thread of research connected with the translation. Id be interested to know what it is.

Greg

Gontroppo
01-11-2005, 04:16 PM
I assuem that you folk interested in Mark in Anglo Saxon would enjoy Melvin Bragg's Adventure of English.

It certainly is a fascinating story how our language has developed.

David McKay
www.davidmckay.info (http://www.davidmckay.info)

Mark Langley
01-21-2005, 10:27 AM
Hi Greg,

The reason for it was and is the interest in the Anglo-Saxon language and seeing the scriptures those folks were acquainted with. All of this stemmed from studies in the history of the English versions of scripture and their development.

Hope this helps.