PDA

View Full Version : WTM search assistance: construct phrases with maqqef as object followed by participle

Joshua Luna
07-10-2014, 07:00 PM
Hello BW users,

I have a question / request on setting up a Hebrew search in WTM.

I am trying to build a search in WTM to find constructions similar to Genesis 16:13, specifically the phrase, "she called the name of the LORD who spoke". The Hebrew phrase is vattiqra' shem-yhwh haddover = verb (vattiqra') + construct phrase (shem-yhwh) + active participle with definite article (haddover). Naming texts often follow a pattern of qr’ + shem + object of new name (e.g. Genesis 4:17). But shem is not always used which made me ask, “Maybe shem is part of the object for what she called?” Put another way, swap in eved-hammelek “servant of the king” for shem-yhwh thus, “she called the servant of the king who spoke to her…” as an example where the entire construct phrase is the object.

Curiosity got the best of me and I want compare other examples (both with qr’ and with other verbs) to see if there are other example that support/contradict if it possible that shem-yhwh (and not just yhwh) could be the object of Hagar’s “calling.”

To do this I have been looking at texts with qr’ + shem, qr’ + proper noun + active participle, verb + proper noun + active participle (all easy enough) but wanted to branch out to:

(1) examples where qr’ is followed by an object that is a construct phrase with (and without) a maqqef (hyphen) and active participle with the definite article:

qr' + [ construct phrase with maqqef + [ definite article + active participle ] ]

The goal would be to look at how the maqqef does/does not affect the bound relationship and if it has any relevant important on Genesis 16:13; including/discluding the participle would be to narrow/broaden the search as necessary.

(2) examples where a verb is followed by object that is a construct phrase followed by the active participle with the definite article:

verb + [ construct phrase with maqqef + [ definite article + active participle ] ]

The goal would be to find examples like, “he killed (verb) the servant of the king (construct phrase) who spoke (active participle).” I would probably limit my search to Genesis just to see if/how the author uses the construction.

Thanks!

Joshua