PDA

View Full Version : Which tablet?

AH Bogaards
04-30-2014, 03:28 AM
I want to buy a tablet with Windows 8.1 as OS, because Bibleworks is my favorite program.

Can somebody give me good advice on which tablet to buy.

I was looking at the Dell Venue 8 Pro or rather the 11 inch, because 8 is may be to small.

The problem is my budget.

MBushell
05-01-2014, 12:46 PM
I want to buy a tablet with Windows 8.1 as OS, because Bibleworks is my favorite program.

Can somebody give me good advice on which tablet to buy.

I was looking at the Dell Venue 8 Pro or rather the 11 inch, because 8 is may be to small.

The problem is my budget.

We have tried the Microsoft Surface, Dell Venue and a few other lesser lights. I personally really like the Venue a lot. Sony has a tablet that I saw in stores which looked really nice but haven't tried BW on it. For now we do tablet code tweaking mostly on the Venue and Surface. This is all a moving target because things change daily.

BW is pretty small on tablets like the Venue which have pretty high resolution. You gotta have good eyes. The top level windows in BW10 will be scalable which makes it more pleasant on hires screens. But for now you have to live with small type. Don't ask about BW10. It is under development but release is not close at hand.

Mike

calvary
05-05-2014, 03:46 PM
After finding out that BW would run on a Dell venue, I purchased the Dell Venue 11 in Feb. BW runs perfect on it and I could not be happier. I definitely would chose the 11 over the 8 for that little bit of extra room. My eye-site is horrible and I'm able to handle the size of BW on the Dell 11 just fine. I use the Dell now while teaching from the pulpit. I'm really loving it!

If you're on the edge I'd say go for it. :)

Dave

Joshua Luna
05-07-2014, 04:50 PM
We have tried the Microsoft Surface, Dell Venue and a few other lesser lights. I personally really like the Venue a lot. Sony has a tablet that I saw in stores which looked really nice but haven't tried BW on it. For now we do tablet code tweaking mostly on the Venue and Surface. This is all a moving target because things change daily.

BW is pretty small on tablets like the Venue which have pretty high resolution. You gotta have good eyes. The top level windows in BW10 will be scalable which makes it more pleasant on hires screens. But for now you have to live with small type.

Mike, this is great news. I am using BW8 on an HP Omni 10 tablet (10.1" screen at 1920x1200) and the icons and menus are the most glaring hurdle. That said BW works great on the tablet (the new Intel Cloverfield Atom processors are a significant improvement over past iterations). Having BW, Word, Firefox with Zotero, a large PDF ebook, etc. all open at once doesn't even break a sweat. All that in a sub-book sized form factor is really nifty. While I still like using my desktop with traditional keyboard and very large monitor I must confess having a very mobile platform for Bibleworks and my other standard Windows programs is really great--especially as you can use a tool like Skydrive, Dropbox, etc. to effortlessly sync your work.

SkipB
05-08-2014, 07:27 AM
I have been using a Lenovo Thinkpad Tablet 2 with BibleWorks for about a year now. I love it. I was surprised to receive the tablet as a gift from my wife last spring. I was not sure how much I could do with a 10 inch screen. But mostly because of BibleWorks it is pretty much a constant companion now. I just spent a week on the other coast visiting a new grand-daughter, the tablet was the only device I traveled with. I had a bluetooth keyboard in my carry on bag, but never used it. I was able to do anything I needed to do for the week away from my home with the tablet. I was pretty impressed with that. It is so easy to change the column proportions in BibleWorks, and if necessary the fonts that I almost never needed reading glasses either. I would definitely suggest playing with a tablet in store though before making the commitment. Be sure it is going to be a good fit. I have a colleague who hates his tablet, it has been relegated to an expensive e-reader and game device. (It though, is not a Windows tablet so can't run BibleWorks)
Good Hunting

AH Bogaards
05-19-2014, 12:04 AM
I have been using a Lenovo Thinkpad Tablet 2 with BibleWorks for about a year now. I love it. I was surprised to receive the tablet as a gift from my wife last spring. I was not sure how much I could do with a 10 inch screen. But mostly because of BibleWorks it is pretty much a constant companion now. I just spent a week on the other coast visiting a new grand-daughter, the tablet was the only device I traveled with. I had a bluetooth keyboard in my carry on bag, but never used it. I was able to do anything I needed to do for the week away from my home with the tablet. I was pretty impressed with that. It is so easy to change the column proportions in BibleWorks, and if necessary the fonts that I almost never needed reading glasses either. I would definitely suggest playing with a tablet in store though before making the commitment. Be sure it is going to be a good fit. I have a colleague who hates his tablet, it has been relegated to an expensive e-reader and game device. (It though, is not a Windows tablet so can't run BibleWorks)
Good Hunting

Thank you for all the advice. I appreciate it.

I think I will go for the Lenovo Thinkpad Tablet 2

In Christ,
Attie Bogaards

Joshua Luna
05-29-2014, 02:27 PM
Heads Up: Microsoft last week announced the Surface Pro 3. Should be availably by the end of June (although the cheaper model in August iirc). The new unit has the normal changes like extended battery life, thinner glass, etc. But the big change is going with a 12 inch 3:2 aspect display with the goal to fill the gap as a tablet / laptop replacement.

I bought the HP Omni as it had a 16:10 (1920x1200) display instead of the more common 16:9 (1920x1080). The 3:2 aspect is superior, imo, on a smaller display unless your primary use is media.

jankudoherty
06-01-2014, 04:49 PM
hp is my favourite. you can try hp.

bshauger
06-01-2014, 09:08 PM
I love my Asus Transformer - have it your way...tablet or netbook with SSD, batteries that last 10-12 hours, runs Windows 8.1, boots up in about 8 seconds and only around $300 depending on what version you buy. I use it for teaching driving a projector. Runs BWW 9 without a problem.

AH Bogaards
06-10-2014, 01:26 AM
I love my Asus Transformer - have it your way...tablet or netbook with SSD, batteries that last 10-12 hours, runs Windows 8.1, boots up in about 8 seconds and only around $300 depending on what version you buy. I use it for teaching driving a projector. Runs BWW 9 without a problem.

I end up with an Asus Transformer. And I am very impressed.

To help me the more and make my work easier and a greater pleasure, I bought a Bluetooth Logitech Mouse. And - it also helps keeping my screen clean (the paws of my mouse is clearly cleaner than my fingers ;))