PDA

View Full Version : a help with graphical search engine

thettthomasz
03-28-2014, 04:45 AM
I will appreciate a help with graphical search engine, which I am trying hard to learn, with some examples posted in the tutorials and in the forums. Now I need to find all the Hebrew words, which LXX translates with a particular, single greek word. For example, the verb κρίνω is the LXX translation of mainly sapat, and some other Hebrew words (din, rib etc.) . How to find instances of these different Hebrew words using a graphical search engine? :confused:

Dale A. Brueggemann
03-28-2014, 06:37 AM
I need to find all the Hebrew words, which LXX translates with a particular, single Greek word

This is not using the graphical search engine, but here's a quick way:

Resource menu
Parallel Hebrew - LXX (i.e., Tov-Polak module)
Find LXX/Hebrew equivalents (3rd icon)
Enter κρίνω in box for Greek lemma
Search finds several terms besides those you mention and gives the occurrences in context.

thettthomasz
03-31-2014, 03:00 AM
Thank you very much!!! I was not aware of that method. It does not matter to me if I use GSE or not, I just needed a way out. This seems to be good... though at the first impression I get a feeling that the search results are not accurate. I need to familiarize with the tool a bit.

Anyway, thank you very much for your help.

Dale A. Brueggemann
03-31-2014, 08:33 AM
...at the first impression I get a feeling that the search results are not accurate

Yes, the results are only as accurate and thorough as the alignment that Tov and Polak embedded in the database.