PDA

View Full Version : Syntactical Searches in Qumran Hebrew Texts?

mudum
10-07-2013, 04:59 PM
I want to list all verbs in the following forms in an specific corpus (such as the War Scroll or Damascus Document). I know the formulas to do this in Biblical Hebrew, but they do not work in Qumran Hebrew. Can anybody tell me how to do this?

1.*@v?p*
2.*@v?q*
3.*@v?w*

Thanks,

Richard

Mark Eddy
10-08-2013, 12:06 AM
Why do you include the question marks? If you want all the qal verbs in QSM, search for .*@vq*
Piels would be .*@vp* Hithpaels would be .*@vw*
Mark Eddy

mudum
10-08-2013, 05:54 AM
Sorry I did not explain. The following formulas work only in Biblical Hebrew. My question is what formulas I can use to get similar results within the corpora of Qumran Hebrew.

1.*@v?p* (= any verb, any conjugation (Qal, Piel, etc.) and perfect forms)
2.*@v?q* (= any verb, any conjugation (Qal, Piel, etc.) and waw consecutive perfect forms)
3.*@v?w* (= any verb, any conjugation (Qal, Piel, etc.) and waw consecutive imperfect forms)

Thanks,

Glenn Weaver
10-08-2013, 10:31 AM
The searches in the QSM work the same way as they do in the WTM (with the exception of certain supplemental tags). What is different is that the Morphology Helper popup does not appear with the QSM. The same codes are used in the QSM as in the WTM.

You can also use these same codes in the Word List Manager to search for the word forms that you specified, as well. (Do not use a period in front of the codes when searching in the Word List Manager.)

Blessings,
Glenn

mudum
10-08-2013, 12:14 PM
The same codes that work in WTM do not wok in QSM. When I try it, I get the message "invalid reference".
I simply want to know if Bibleworks is able to perform the specific searches below in QSM in the same way it does in WTM.

I want to know how many times the following verbal forms occur in an specific corpus in Qumran Hebrew.

1.*@v?p* (= any verb, any conjugation (Qal, Piel, etc.) and perfect forms)
2.*@v?q* (= any verb, any conjugation (Qal, Piel, etc.) and waw consecutive perfect forms)
3.*@v?w* (= any verb, any conjugation (Qal, Piel, etc.) and waw consecutive imperfect forms)

Can anybody answer my question? If BW is able to perform these in QSM as well, please provide the codes. Thanks.

Glenn Weaver
10-08-2013, 12:25 PM
Hi mudum,

The coding system for the QSM is the same as the WTM, so the same codes should work. A few things to check are as follows:

--are you using the QSM, not the QST? (The QSM is the morphology version, while the QST is the text version. Searching for morph codes on the text version will not work.)

--did you place a period before the word in your search? If not, then the search will think that you are trying to display a verse reference, and will yield a message to the effect that it is an "invalid reference".

Some of the searches that work for me include:

.*@vqp* (to find all the qal perfect verbs)
.*@v?p* (to find all the perfect forms)

I assume that you are using BibleWorks 9.

Blessings,
Glenn

mudum
10-08-2013, 03:20 PM
Dear Glenn,

Thanks for your quick reply and assistance. I could search for all the perfect forms and wayyiqtol forms, but not the waw consecutive perfect (weqatal) forms.

In WTM I use the following code ".*@v?q*" (to find all the waw consecutive perfect forms) and works well, but in QSM it does not. Every time I try I get the message "the following word or form cannot be found in the currect search version"

Is there another way to find all waw consecutive perfect forms?

Another Question: How can I set search limits in QSM? I would like to find all the perfect forms only in the War Scroll, for example.

Thanks,

Glenn Weaver
10-08-2013, 04:18 PM
I used the Word List Manager to search for all *@vq* (all verb forms), and set the checkbox to "Keep 3 morph codes", then ran the search. Then I sorted the list by morphology. This showed me that there are no words in the QSM that are tagged for verb qal waw-consecutive perfect. There are words tagged for waw-consecutive imperfect, but not for perfect.

On the Command Line you can run a search for verbs + waws. This will yield more results than you want, and you will have to evaluate the results manually, but at least you can find the potential hits. Sorry that the tagging does not yield what you want more easily.

To limit the search to just he War Scroll, you can enter on the Command Line the lowercase letter 'L' followed by the book abbreviation. The abbreviations appear on the book dropdown box in the Browse Window. In this example, you would enter 'l 1qm' and hit enter. When you are finished with the search limits, you can enter 'l' followed by nothing and press Enter on your keyboard. This sets the limits to nothing, which removes the limits.

Blessings,
Glenn

mudum
10-08-2013, 04:56 PM
Dear Glenn,

I much appreciate your assistance. Is it possible to search for all verbs in perfect preceded by waws (waw particle conjunction + any verb in any stem). I want to find cases like the one in Judges 3:23 with the verb we-na'al "he locked".

Could you please show me the codes to do this both in WTM and QSM?

Thanks.

Glenn Weaver
10-08-2013, 05:10 PM
Hi mudum,

The verb and the waw are both considered seperate words in the WTM and QSM. Therefore, it is a phrase search that you need to use. Here is the phrase search to find all qal perfect verbs preceeded by a waw:

'*@vq* w@*

(note that the 'w' in the lemma slot is the waw, and will appear in Hebrew on the Command Line.) (To enter the @* at the right-hand side of the waw, move the cursor to the right side.)The phrase search is preceeded by the single quote mark, not the period as is the usual "and" search.

This same search works in both the WTM and the QSM.

Blessings,
Glenn

DavidR
10-08-2013, 05:16 PM
Just a quick note to point out (as is implied in Glenn's response of 03:18 PM) that the Hebrew of the Qumran scrolls (the sectarian ones, not the biblical ones) is different in several ways from that of the TaNaK. One of these is the disuse of the waw-consecutive construction. I'm a little surprised that there are some waw-consecutive imperfects (but it's been a long time since I looked closely at the scrolls), and the lack of waw-consecutive perfects is to be expected. Even in the later books of the Hebrew Bible, the waw-consecutive is falling out of use, and the Qumran writers, later still, perhaps only use it when they are intentionally trying to sound "biblical" (the same was some English-speaking Christians will pray using "thee" and "thou"). In the Hebrew of the Mishnah, of course, the waw-consecutive is gone for good.

Glenn Weaver
10-08-2013, 05:33 PM
Thank you, David, for that information about the waw-consecutive in the DSS. i was not aware of that development in the Hebrew language. Now the lack of search hits makes sense.

Blessings,
Glenn

Mark Eddy
10-09-2013, 01:25 AM
Thanks, Glenn, for your input. While away from the internet I did some searching on my own. Apparently there are no waw-consecutive perfect labeled as such in QSM. Instead, QSM simply has a waw followed by a perfect. E.g. in CD Damascus Document 7:6 the last word is labeled:
w>@Pc+SxxxExHxR000000000N
xql@vqp3cp+SxxxJxCxAxExHxR000000000N
(A00 7:6 QSM)
Similarly in the very next verse this happens twice.

It may be helpful to look at CD Damascus Document 7:16. It paraphrases Amos 9:11
tl,p,_NOh; dywID" tK;su-ta, ~yqIa' (Amo 9:11 WTT)
tlpwnh dwd tkws ta ytwmyqhw (A00 7:16 QST)

As you can see (once you switch to a Hebrew font), the Dead Sea Scroll replaces the imperfect of Amos with a waw+perfect. So you might expect it to be labeled as a waw consecutive perfect. But QSM instead labels it:
w>@Pc+SxxxExHxR000000000N ~wq@vhp1cs+SxxxJxCxAxExHxR000000000N (A00 7:16 QSM)
Without searching farther, it appears that QSM does not use q to designate waw consecutive perfects. (Glenn did this search for you.)

There does appear to be a glitch in QSM. The first time I searched for .*@v?p* I got an error message. But after working in QSM for a while when I made the same search again, it worked.

Also (as Glenn stated) the command line assistant does not work for QSM, so it is not easy to see if q is ever used in the third spot after @, where it refers to waw consecutive perfect in WTM.
I searched for .*@??q* and came up with two verses in Noncanonical Psalms A. But both of those in QST are mostly numerals, while in QSM there a many words, but the meaning of the morphology does not display in the analysis window.

Mark Eddy

mudum
10-09-2013, 05:20 AM
Dear Glenn,

Many thanks for all your quick and helpful replies.

Best wishes,