PDA

View Full Version : Working with Hebrew, Greek, and English in the MT and LXX - BW9... and GreekNT

MGVH
07-12-2013, 11:21 AM
I just published a somewhat lengthy blog post that details Working with Hebrew, Greek, and English in the MT and LXX - BibleWorks9 (http://bibleandtech.blogspot.com/2013/07/working-with-hebrew-greek-and-english.html#ixzz2YqAcRZi4).

If you haven't worked with Tov's Parallel Hebrew MT -Greek LXX, this gives some ideas on how to use it. BW's morphologically tagged version of this resource allows for some powerful searching. I think it's worth skimming at least so that you are familiar w/ what's possible when you need it.

I also show how you can get both a Hebrew word and the English used to translate it to be highlighted in the Browse window. It does require Strong's so you're limited to KJV or NAU/NASB, and you do need to use the Graphical Search Engine (GSE).
That little tip can also be applied to the Greek NT, and I'll expand upon it here.
For example, let's say you want to see all the ways that the NAU/NASB translate the Greek ευαγγελ- and have the Greek and English highlighted. (And let us search both noun and verb forms, and I also want any instances where there might be prefixes.) The QF file is attached, and here is what it looks like:
As you can see, it's a matter of creating an OR subquery with all the Strong's codes and matching it with the Greek.
Works great! And you can see in the Browse pane how both the Greek and NAU English are highlighted (And note that at this point the Strong's #s can be toggled on/off) ... But, you may ask, how did I know what Strong's codes to use? This is where it gets tedious. What I did is conduct my Greek search first, then tracked down the Strong's roots behind the hits. Strong's does relate words back to roots, so it is possible to track down a word's usage fairly well. (I.e., 2098 ευαγγελιον is noted as coming from 2097 ευαγγελιζω which is noted as coming from 2095 ευ and 32 αγγελος)

It would have been easier if there were a way to search or browse Strong's, but I can't find it in BW9. Does anyone know if there is such a possibility?

Still, note that the only thing I am accomplishing here is getting both the English and the Greek word it translates to be highlighted. As you can see in the graphic, when you put the mouse over the Strong's number, all it's usages=translations in the NASB are displayed in the Analysis tab. For dynamic (ie, live Greek / English highlighting without needing to run a search), you can see how it works in the online NET Bible (https://net.bible.org/#!bible/Matthew+1:1). That's just Strong's at work in conjunction with the Greek (or Hebrew) and the NET translation.

papyri
07-13-2013, 10:04 PM
Mark, thank you for your post.