PDA

View Full Version : Simple Search in BibleWorks 9 for Parentheses in ESV version

basilides
06-08-2013, 01:59 AM
Is it possible in BibleWorks 9 to search for and find all the verses that contain parentheses in, say, the ESV?

DavidR
06-08-2013, 02:07 PM
Not from the Command Line, I'm pretty sure. Since parentheses are used to group search terms there, it wouldn't be possible for them to also be search terms. (Section 37 of the Help gives a great many examples of Command Line searching.)

However, I wonder if it might be possible using the Graphical Search Engine. I'm not familiar with using the GSE at all (sheer laziness), but in looking at Help sec. 40, GSE - Reference, under The GSE Ordering and Proximity Box Window, I see that that window does allow for specifying punctuation conditions in a search. Someone here who knows how to use the GSE might be able to figure out an inventive way to do a parentheses search.

Yaku Lee
06-08-2013, 06:02 PM
Well, try the following and see if that gives you what you want: (1) choose ESV as the search version, (2) type "~\(" (without the quotation marks) on the CL and hit "enter" key.

DavidR
06-08-2013, 06:24 PM
Well, I'll be darned. It seems to work. What exactly is that? Is it documented in BibleWorks Help?

Yaku Lee
06-08-2013, 07:20 PM
Go to "Help | Bibleworks Help Contents" and look for "Doing Regular Expression Searches." I find Regular Expression Search very helpful some times. With regards.

basilides
06-08-2013, 08:54 PM
Thanks. BibleWorks is the best, the very best.

It would approach perfection, however, if it had NETS, the New English Translation of the Septuagint (2nd. ed.). Just a suggestion (for the umpteenth time).

DavidR
06-08-2013, 10:00 PM
Thanks from me too, Yaku. I never looked at regular expressions in BW, but I can see that they could be useful.