PDA

View Full Version : Hebrew Stem Stats

frankenfro
05-31-2013, 09:50 AM
If I want to count the number of times that a Hebrew verb is used in Qal, Niphal, Piel, Pual, etc, how can I do that? For instance, I'm looking at "aman" (to trust, believe) in Gen 15:6 - I want to see how many times that it's used in each stem.

Doing it manually yields (assuming I did it correctly; I just started Hebrew last August) -

Qal - 8x
Niph - 46x
Hiph - 51x

But this is me doing several different searches and recording the stats on my own - aman in qal; aman in niphal; aman in piel, etc. I'd much rather run one search and then be able to filter it as I'd like.

Is there a quicker way to grab these stats? The "Detailed Stats" window only displays stats relating to word frequency, but not stem frequency. I still have BW7, btw.

Thanks.

Dave

Jim Wert
05-31-2013, 10:57 AM
Do your search in WTM. (I used right click in Gen 15:6 / Search on Lemma).
Then open Word List Manager (WLM) (quickest way is F8 key)
Click "Load or Generate Word List" button at bottom of WLM window.
On "Create Word List" window
set Version to WTM
select "Load highlighted words from last query"
select keep -- morph codes, and set the number to 2
click "Create list" button at bottom of window

The result confirms your analysis, except that WTM has a separate code for qal pass, of which there is one instance.

Oops, sorry, I missed that you are in BW7. Unfortunately, BW7 only gives you the choice of all morph codes, or no morph codes. You need to be able to limit it to 2 codes.
(BW8 does allow you to specify number of morph codes)

frankenfro
06-02-2013, 05:10 PM
Ok, thanks for the help. I'll keep plugging away manually. Fortunately, BW7 reds out any stems not used in the WTM so I can quickly go through all the stems and gather the data manually.