PDA

View Full Version : Basic Question: Opening a block of text in a Window or Pane

philo
04-22-2013, 11:08 AM
I'd like to open a range of verses (say, Matt 1:1-10) and that window stay open despite other searches. I know that I can simply type Matt 1:1-10 in the search window, and it will open the whole block of text in the browse window. However, as soon as I click on a word to do a search, the block of text disappears and I'm reduced to a single verse. To get the block back, I have to keep typing it in. Surely this is possible to do. Is there a way to open a block of text and keep the whole block open?

Thanks,
Gary D. Collier

DavidR
04-22-2013, 05:53 PM
Once you have the block of text you want in the Browse window, go to the View menu and choose New Browse Window. (There's also an icon in the toolbar to do this.) This will open up a separate window with your block of text in it. This should remain stable while you perform searches and other operations in the main window. Note that you can have several such separate Browse windows open, and move them and resize them as you please; and that in each of them you can click on the "footsteps" to switch between single-version and multi-version display mode.

philo
04-22-2013, 06:57 PM
Once you have the block of text you want in the Browse window, go to the View menu and choose New Browse Window. (There's also an icon in the toolbar to do this.) This will open up a separate window with your block of text in it. This should remain stable while you perform searches and other operations in the main window. Note that you can have several such separate Browse windows open, and move them and resize them as you please; and that in each of them you can click on the "footsteps" to switch between single-version and multi-version display mode.

Thank you David, very much.

It will sound like I'm arguing here. But I'm more frustrated than anything else.

New Browse Window: Ok, so I can get a "block of text" in one lump in a New Browse Window. But I can only see "true paragraph" divisions from the paragraph marker, not from a flowing text. If I then do a "search on form" in that new window, it looks it up just fine without affecting the block of text. But if I do a "search on lemma" in that new window, it converts the block of text to single verses again. I simply don't get it. I can open a whole block of text in a paragraph form, but I can't work from it. If I want to have the whole block open, I have to have two windows open: one a whole block, and one a single verse.

Footsteps: Single/multiple version: Yes, I can switch to single version view. But the single version view is arranged with each verse on a new line--like a KJV. (Yes, I see the paragraph marks, and I really don't like this.) I don't get it. Why would each verse on a new line be of any value? I want the paragraph form.

Since the day I got this program, I have considered this a major annoyance. I'm hoping you will come back with "Oh, there's this button that allows you to change the display." I have been searching and watching videos, etc. and I'm just getting more and more annoyed.

Gary

DavidR
04-22-2013, 08:00 PM
I also wish there were a button to fix the paragraphing! I actually grumbled pretty loudly (http://www.bibleworks.com/forums/showthread.php?5269-New-BW9-Feature-paragraph-marks-in-Bible-versions&p=27567#post27567) about this awhile back. The situation with the paragraph markers is in fact worse than it looks. Quoting from the Help file: "By default the paragraph markers are the same as used in the RSV version so the paragraph divisions will be the same for all versions." Eh? What? Why? See the entire thread in which the post to which I just linked resides.

I'm not sure I'm getting the problem with searching in the separate Browse windows. I understood your original question to be about preserving a block view of text for reference while doing searching in the main BW window, rather than pursuing searching in separate Browse windows. In any case, when I do searches (e.g., on BGT) in a separate Browse window, whether on form or on lemma, the text in that window is always divided by verses, which (regrettably) is how BW presents all text. I may not be understanding what you're saying, though.

MGVH
04-22-2013, 09:13 PM
I'd like to open a range of verses (say, Matt 1:1-10) and that window stay open despite other searches. I know that I can simply type Matt 1:1-10 in the search window, and it will open the whole block of text in the browse window. However, as soon as I click on a word to do a search, the block of text disappears and I'm reduced to a single verse. To get the block back, I have to keep typing it in. Surely this is possible to do. Is there a way to open a block of text and keep the whole block open?

There's a toggle to do what you want.

Choose Tools > Options (or click on the wrench to open the BW Options Window)
Click on Flags under Options
Expand "Command Line Search Options"
Check the box for "Remember command line ranges"

There you go!

calvary
04-23-2013, 02:06 PM
There's a toggle to do what you want.

Choose Tools > Options (or click on the wrench to open the BW Options Window)
Click on Flags under Options
Expand "Command Line Search Options"
Check the box for "Remember command line ranges"

There you go!

Wow, am I embarrassed I didn't notice this sooner. Thank you Mark! :)

Dave

philo
04-23-2013, 05:37 PM
Thanks David and Mark. Both very helpful. IMO, the paragraphing is a major deficiency, but I'll not go further with that.
Here's what I ended up doing about the browsing. (This is just a report, not a question):

Click Wrench
Click Command Line Search Options
Tick Remember Command Line Ranges

Click Browse Window Configuration Option
Tick Enable Automatic Secondary Browse Window

So, if I double-click any word in a given version of the main browse window (I'll call it #1), a browse window #2 opens automatically with the same block of text. (The first time I double-click any version, it opens the whole block.) From that point on, when I double-click any word OR do a right click word/lemma search in browse window #1 in that same version, then the search window shows the results and browse window #2 shows the first search choice. Browse window #1 remains stable. (If I keep changing versions when I double click in #1, it only opens that text in full in #2. Only the subsequent clicks in a given version actually show the search results in #2)

However, if I then do any search directly from browse window #2, it opens #3 with the results, right on top of #2. (I can manually move #3 beside #2 to see both). However, if I then close #3 and do another search from #1, it then changes #1 (not #2). So, in order to keep #1 from changing in this case, I have to close #2, not #3.

Keeping all of that in mind, I can open #1 and do all the searches I want from #1 without the search window changing the #1 browse window.

A little confusing, but that's how it works. Once I did it several times, I got the idea. However, this is not all that intuitive and if I don't use it all the time, I can see forgetting just how this works and then having to re-learn it.

If there's a quicker, smarter, better way, I'm all ears.

Gary