PDA

View Full Version : Spam?

wie
11-29-2004, 03:21 AM
Since about this forum was created I experienced that I almost completely lost contact to Mike Bushell and others.
Now I have been informed that my latest message to the support team has been filtered out by spam software. I am wondering if this happens more often than not?
At times I get a message through to Mike and he seems to be surprised to hear from me again. Perhaps it would be in order to adjust the spam filters anew?
This lost contact with the programmer(s) is disappointing for me and I am missing the good old times ... oh well ...

Ruben Gomez
11-29-2004, 04:30 AM
Wieland,

I've had the very same thing happen to me. I thought Mike might be far too busy to reply to a couple of emails I sent him, but now that you mention it, I'm beginning to think it could well be a problem with the spam filter. Particularly since I wrote to tech support as well, and have had no answer so far... It sure would be nice to hear from Mike again :-)

Rubén Gómez

MTan
11-29-2004, 10:07 AM
Hi Wieland and Ruben-

It's good to hear from old friends. As you are aware, spam has increased to alarming proportions. We get hundreds of viruses and spam messages at our personal work addresses these days. At times it seems that spam will render email usuable. It is highly likely that messages have been lost, despite our best efforts. In addition, we are, of course, busy doing what we usually do -- working on BibleWorks!

Michael

wie
11-29-2004, 11:23 AM
This situation is not satisfying. So, what can be done?
What spam software do you use? Would it be possible to use a "friend" word in the header to get through?
Today for 90-95% of my emails to M. Bushell I get no answer. A year or so ago, this was 0%. This is frustrating.

PS: We have currently a very effective spam software installed that reduces spam about 95%. It first rejects EVERY email. Only when it is resent from the sending mail server it will get through. Normal mail servers will try to deliver an email for the next 5 days. To the contrary spam is normally a "fire once only" process.

Ruben Gomez
11-29-2004, 11:55 AM
Hi,

I hate to think that my post may come through as one of those "me too" messages, but as a matter of fact, I have to agree with Wieland here. His experience has been mine too. I guess this shows how "old" and "friends" we are, Michael :D

Couldn't you set up a "password" or something that would allow our messages to get through the spam filter? I would be happy to resend past messages if you write to me offlist and give me some instructions. Otherwise, it is pointless to email Mike (and I mention him because my message was directed to him), you, tech support, or anyone else.

Thank you!

Rubén Gómez

MBushell
11-29-2004, 12:01 PM
Hi Guys,

I'm still here. I too miss the old days, but I am afraid that the reality is that the volume of e-mail has exceeded my ability to keep up with it and do any programming. I try to answer all mail directed to my personal account but during times when volume is high that just isn't possible any more, in spite of my best efforts and intentions. I do read everything that comes through and answer critical items as best I can, though occasionally things that I would normally respond to get lost in spam. I get several hundreds of spam messages a day, many from valid names because peoples name lists have been compromised. It is a major hassle to filter through those. We use pop file to filter spam but it is not 100% reliable. It works well for people that I communicate with regularly, but otherwise is unpredictable. And I still have to manually check the spam list each day, often at the end of the day when I am tired.

I often leave messages in my in box with the intention of getting to them eventually but sometimes they trickle down in the list and get forgotten. I don't know any good solution to this. The volume is just too high. Remember that we only have two programmers and anything that diverts us from that task hurts everyone more than you might realize. So I just ask for your patience and understanding.

God bless,
Mike

wie
11-30-2004, 03:59 AM
Well, these are rather weak excuses. But ok, I have to accept them.

MattFriend
11-30-2004, 07:41 PM
Hi Everyone:

I normally just read messages on the forum and rarely respond, but I felt I had too with this topic.

I appreciate Bibleworks software very much. Wie said " . . . these are weak excuses." I fail to see how the excuses are weak. I would rather have Mike and Michael spend their time making Bibleworks even better than spending hours daily sorting through emails!

I currently have more than 1200 books in Libronix format. If you held a gun to my head I wouldn't be able to tell you who is the programmer for Libronix (or quickverse....etc.).

I have found Bibleworks to be extremely stable and robust. I often reinstall my operating system on my 3 computers and more times than not have problems installing Libronix that are so severe I have to go to their website and search for error codes to my problems. I have never had any problems reinstalling Bibleworks when I've needed too.

If you have a critical problem with Bibleworks, sure email Mike Or Michael. It sounds as if some people are sending emails that are NOT critical though. I would say to post non critical problems and questions here (allowing other users to help) so Mike and Michael will have more time to do their jobs (just my opinion of course).

Matthew

Joe Fleener
11-30-2004, 08:05 PM
Matthew,

I could not have said it better! Amen and Amen again! :D

wie
12-01-2004, 06:41 AM
I am wondering how the next beta testing will work, if this situation remains ...

arggem
12-01-2004, 12:13 PM
I am wondering how the next beta testing will work, if this situation remains ... I obviously cannot speak for the Mikes, but I suspect when they enter into the beta phase, THAT becomes their priority.

Their practice in the past has been to devote a considerable amount of time to user input during the early days of new releases. I don't remember when BW 6 came out, but I think it's been a year or so...so this is a stable product. They are working on the next release.

I believe that in the beta and early release phases their work priorities will again shift from programing to "bug fixing" and user input.

I don't think we have lost contact with the Mikes, but I do think they have to prioritize their time.

When the time comes, they will be there when we need them. They always have been. I suspect they always will be.

wie
12-01-2004, 01:30 PM
When the time comes, they will be there when we need them. They always have been. I suspect they always will be.
"and, lo, they will be with us always, to the end of the world. Amen."

You know, they ARE with us, just, because of this rotten spam thing they are not really, completely, fully next to us, just a little further removed. They often answer in ways you would not expect. There is no voice, no email, the answers are much more subtle.
He that has ears to hear, let him hear.

Mysterium quod absconditum fuit ...

MBushell
12-02-2004, 11:24 AM
Hi Guys,

We do the best we can with what the Lord has given us. Please understand that we have not raised prices in over a decade. We could raise prices and hire more staff and make things a bit easier, but we are committed to providing the best value for our users. We are competing (successfully I believe) with companies that are much bigger and the only reason we are able to do that is that we keep our overhead small and work very hard. As our user base grows, and as competition gets more serious and as the complexity of the program grows, the demands on our time increase. I personally regret not being able to spend more time chatting with users, but if you want us to remain in business and continue to provide good quality tools, you'll need to be patient with us as we adjust to increasing demands on our time. Just supporting 6.0 is a full time job. 7.0 development is on top of that. My e-mail address is still public and I will *try* to respond to all messages from users but be patient. There are times when I can't. I do read everything sent to me (unless it gets lost in spam and I try to be careful about that) even if work pressure means that I can't always respond.

Charlie and Michael routinely monitor forum traffic and alert me when there is something I need to respond to immediately. I often lurk myself though I try not to post much because I don't want to give the impression that a response from me is to be expected as a matter of policy.

I suppose these may seem like weak excuses to some people, but if they knew how hard we work (for *them*) they might show a little more mercy.

We are "here for you". We have been for some 13 years. The quality of our program and the prices that we charge is the best proof of that.

Pray for us. We routinely pray for our users, that the Lord would use these tools in their hands for His glory.

God bless,
Mike

Gontroppo
12-02-2004, 10:01 PM
Mike, although we would love you to be at our beck and call, I think your use of the limited time you have is being done wisely, for our benefit, and for God's glory.

David McKay
http://members.ozemail.com.au/~musicke