PDA

View Full Version : Need Some Simple GSE Help

basilides
03-13-2013, 02:50 AM
Could someone please help me with this simple task? I have gotten very rusty using the GSE, and while I have searched the help file and forums, I can't find the answer, which I'm sure is staring me right in the face.

I want to search BGT or BLM (the LXX), limiting the GSE Query from Gen to Mal.

I would like to find every LXX verb lemma plus (if existent) every infinitive (such as @vn??) of the same lemma (side by side). Then save this list (lemma plus its corresponding infinitive), preferably to an RTF.

Your help here would be much appreciated.

MGVH
03-13-2013, 09:46 AM
First, be careful setting limits of "Gen-Mal" or "OT" when using LXX. Since the book order is different, you may not get a full search. You're better off just using the BLM (for morph searches) or LXT (for text searches). If you do want to use BGM or BGT, the correct limit for just LXX is "Gen-Bet"

For the search you are asking about, you don't need the GSE.

In command line: BLM <ENTER
l <ENTER (to clear limits)
'#1@v* #1@vn* <ENTER

The apostrophe at the start there indicates a phrase search since you said you wanted them side by side.
The #1 is used to look for the same lemma.

You will only get one result: Isa 28.24
The limiting factor is that you want that infinitive. (There are 3 instances in the NT.)

basilides
03-13-2013, 10:09 AM
Thanks for your help, Professor, but I think my explanation of the task was careless and ambiguous, so I'll try again with your indulgence.

With the LXX (Gen-Bel) as the source, I need a list of all verb infinitives plus their lemmas (side by side), and once the list is compiled, exported to, say, a rtf or the like.

I recently purchased from a company (whose name must not be named) Xavier Jacques's, "List of Septuagint Words Sharing Common Elements" (he has a List for the NT as well -- two useful resources -- hint!), but all the verbs (I think) are given in infinitives, which renders lexicon consultation somewhat tedious for those of us for which Greek is still Greek.

MGVH
03-13-2013, 08:34 PM
Can you give an example of what you want? Something like:
ερχομαι ερχεσθαι, ελθειν

basilides
03-13-2013, 09:00 PM
Yes. If you have or are familiar with the "List of Septuagint Words..." you will know what I mean.