PDA

View Full Version : Q

MortenJensen
02-21-2013, 04:40 AM
Hi all,
Has someone worked out a synopsis file for the (alleged) Q material?
I know it is possible to set search limits to Q - but I would like the Q-material displayed; either as a book, or,better, as a synopsis between Matt and Luk.
I haven't been able to locate such a synopsis anywhere. Important for teaching and research.

Morten

Donald Cobb
02-21-2013, 06:42 AM
Hi all,
Has someone worked out a synopsis file for the (alleged) Q material?
I know it is possible to set search limits to Q - but I would like the Q-material displayed; either as a book, or,better, as a synopsis between Matt and Luk.
I haven't been able to locate such a synopsis anywhere. Important for teaching and research.

Morten

Hello Morten,

This thread may give you a couple pointers:

http://www.bibleworks.com/forums/showthread.php?3330-Setting-Search-Limits-quot-Q-quot-texts

Regards,

Donald Cobb
Aix-en-Provence, France

MortenJensen
02-21-2013, 08:03 AM
Thanks, Donald

Have you since then worked out a .sdf-file with the texts? Would you mind sharing it?
I don't see how a set of Bible-texts (already available freely on the net) can violate any copyright laws.

It seems a bit tedious if every bw-user has to compile the list afresh.
Morten

MortenJensen
02-21-2013, 08:20 AM
Hi again,

Well, I just compiled it myself in a few clicks. Here is what I did, if anyone want to the trick also:

- Copied the second table here: http://www.earlychristianwritings.com/q-contents.html
- Into a word-document.
- Search and replace Matt for Mat; Luke for Luk (and in the next last line, there is an error in the list that needs to handled manually, Lk).
- In Word: Convert table to text, choose a special sign as [.
- Search and replace [ for | (including spaces before and after).
- Turn the list into a numbered list (if you like, I guess).
- Open a .sdf file from the init-folder (like aland.sdf). Choose "save as" and rename into Q-sayings.sdf.
- Delete all text execpt the first three lines.
- Paste the text from Word below the three top lines.
- Save.

And you are all done; ready to open it in the Synopsis Tool.

Pretty nice.

Thanks for the help.
Morten

Donald Cobb
02-21-2013, 08:25 AM
Hi again,

Well, I just compiled it myself in a few clicks. Here is what I did, if anyone want to the trick also:

- Copied the second table here: http://www.earlychristianwritings.com/q-contents.html
- Into a word-document.
- Search and replace Matt for Mat; Luke for Luk (and in the next last line, there is an error in the list that needs to handled manually, Lk).
- In Word: Convert table to text, choose a special sign as [.
- Search and replace [ for | (including spaces before and after).
- Turn the list into a numbered list (if you like, I guess).
- Open a .sdf file from the init-folder (like aland.sdf). Choose "save as" and rename into Q-sayings.sdf.
- Delete all text execpt the first three lines.
- Paste the text from Word below the three top lines.
- Save.

And you are all done; ready to open it in the Synopsis Tool.

Pretty nice.

Thanks for the help.
Morten

Morten,

I myself was surprised at how easy it was to do it. I would have had no problems in sharing my version, but I'm glad it worked for you!

Donald

DavidR
02-21-2013, 01:37 PM
Morten, this is something I've often wished for. For years while teaching in seminary, I thought of just commissioning a student assistant to create the file. And I never did. Thanks for your diligence.

And now, continuing my tradition of laziness, would you by chance be willing to share the .sdf file you created so I don't have to make my own? :o

robrecht
02-21-2013, 02:12 PM
Very cool. I too try to be faithful to the tradition of laziness.

jimofbentley
02-21-2013, 08:18 PM

A wonderful help, thank you very much.

One question (or more than one).

How do you open an .sdf file? I tried to, but Windows said that it couldn't and wanted to search the web for the right software for it(?)

I was able to open aland.sdf from Word and do everything else you mentioned, but then I couldn't save it as an .sdf file.

I was able to save it as a text file, and when I went to the Synopsis tool, my "Q-sayings" wasn't there, until I changed the settings to look for "all files".

Have I missed a step, or misunderstood.

(using BW8).

Thanks.

robrecht
02-21-2013, 08:36 PM
Open it from within the synopsis tool and you will be able to edit and save it there. Use File, Edit and File, Save.

MortenJensen
02-22-2013, 02:44 AM
Hi all,

You open a .sdf file by right-clicking on it and choose "notepad". The .sdf-files should not be opened within word. Word is only for the search and replace-parts.

When you save from notepad, you should make sure to type the ".sdf" as well (otherwise, windows will add .txt, and then it does not work) - and then save it in the init-folder.

I have attached my two .sdf-files, the one with the BGT-text; the other one with a Danish version. Here you just replace the D31 in the top with ASV or what ever. Remember again to type the exact name, you want when saving (like: Q.sdf).

Yes, all in all, this is really a helpful add-on to BW.

Morten1078

jimofbentley
02-22-2013, 02:53 AM
Thanks very much - worked perfectly

DavidR
02-22-2013, 12:40 PM
Thanks, Morten!!

In testing it out, I found one further adjustment that needed to be made: the Synopsis tool doesn't know how to process, for instance, Mat 18:15, 21-22 or 14:11, 18:14. The commas are the problem. When I replaced all instances of , with ; followed by the full chapter and verse reference (e.g., Mat 18:15, 21-22 becomes Mat 18:15; 18:21-22 and Luk 14:11, 18:14 becomes Luk 14:11; 18:14), it worked perfectly.

Also, since there are never more than two columns, only two instances of the desired version are needed in the first /Versions line, e.g., /Versions BGT BGT.

I've attached the Greek file (which includes an annotation of what I did; all lines beginning with / are considered annotations and not processed by the synopsis). IMPORTANT: Due to the limitations of the forum's file uploading system, I've had to upload the file as .txt instead of .sdf. To make it usable, you simply need to rename it in Windows Explorer, changing the .txt extension to .sdf; or open it in Notepad and save it as .sdf.

All that needs to be done then to fix the Danish or other language file is to copy the numbered synopsis lines from this file and paste them over the corresponding ones in the Danish, etc., file.

MortenJensen
02-23-2013, 04:28 AM
Great! Thanks for cleaning it up!
Morten