PDA

View Full Version : BW9 Mac Preview - Better Display Fonts

huneger
02-10-2013, 08:53 AM
Ariel and bwgrkL default fonts display very poorly on my MacBook (2006) and iMac (2009), even though they are fine in WinXP.

BitStreamVeraSerif and bwgrkN are much, much sharper. Sizes I prefer are 10 and 12 point respectively.

HOWEVER, many resources seem hard-coded and still show very ragged fonts (like Win3.1 on an old CRT).

Is there something I'm missing to be able to get everything to display with sharp fonts at the sizes I want?

USER since 2001 (BW 5).

admin
02-11-2013, 11:29 AM
Hi There,
We're actively working on improving the Mac Public Preview. Could you please post a few screenshots showing the areas where you would like to see font changes?
Thanks!

huneger
02-11-2013, 03:11 PM
My concern with sharpness of fonts (Greek 12-pt and Arial 10-pt) is not so much with dialogue boxes for settings, but for reading of text. In particular, Arial italic is poor, and bwgrkL is crusty looking. I've got screen shots but cannot at this time seem to attach them.

bwgrkN and BitstreamVeraSerif show
The bwgrkN 12-pt ("N") and BitstreamVeraSerif ("BVS") 10-pt "took" in VerseList, Browser, Analysis, Notes, Editor (after selecting fonts), Resources, X-Refs, Stats, Words, Context, Browse, Popups, and Parallel Hb/LXX; Tools>Analyzing>Related Verses, Phrase Matching, Word List; Bible Outline; Parallel Window, and Synopsis Window (but calling "Help" from the Synopsis window locked up the system -- not infrequently calling up a resource for the first time, or if scrolling around in it too quickly, or otherwise unpredictably, will lock up the system, but at least the resources and help material display; in particular Talmud [noted in another thread] and OT Quotes resources locked up consistently).
Also: Daily Light (but Greek = strange font, some issue with Hebrew), Westminster Confession (but it displays in the Browse Window, and one must "reset" the KJV to get biblical text to display).

bwgrkN "takes" but not Bitstream
Summary window, Tools>Analyzing>VerseList. NOTE: in the Lexica and Dictionaries the alpha listing is N and BVS, but the English part of the articles remains Arial.

bwgrkL and Arial remain unaffected
Version, Verse (various apparatus modules), MSS, as well as in Help, Leedy Diagrams; Aramaic resources, Talmud; Greek Grammars - Burton, Coynbeare, Davis, MacDonald, Robertson, Wallace (original LLS GraecaII ? ); Hebrew.

MTan
02-12-2013, 11:06 AM
We will look into that. This year CodeWeavers is replacing a layer in the Mac WINE code that may improve font rendering. I will check about that.
The Hebrew display issues are being fixed and are almost complete.
Also, what version of OS X are you running?
Thanks!
Michael

huneger
02-12-2013, 04:06 PM
I am using Snow Leopard 10.6.8 on both boxes. I cannot upgrade beyond that on the MacBook (2006, with 2GB RAM), and have not upgraded on the iMac (2009, with 4GM RAM). So technically I don't fit the published requirement of 10.7.4+ That may be the problem. Generally other applications I am using in Crossover do have lower quality font display than the same apps in Windows XP for the same font size. Modifying the bottle with WineConfig for graphics (dpi for font display), not possible with BW, only affects parts of the windows, etc., not everything in the application in question. I will submit the screen shots by separate email as requested.

admin
02-13-2013, 02:31 PM
I'm sorry to say that OS X versions below 10.7 have known crashing problems. A user recently upgraded to 10.7 (it was an older MacBook which couldn't upgrade to 10.8) and all of the crashing problems went away...
l'll dig into the font issues you reported!
Michael