PDA

View Full Version : All sentences beginning with "And"

elnwood
02-05-2013, 03:40 PM
How do you do a Bible search for every instance of "And" when it begins a sentence?

MGVH
02-05-2013, 05:27 PM
Choose the version you want to search in the command line
(Set search limits if desired)
Use the Graphical Search Engine (click on Tools in green bar below command line and select)
When the GSE opens, double-click on the empty word box and type in "and" as the word you are searching for
On the right side of that box, click to check "Specify position in verse" and make sure it's #1 from beginning > OK
Run search

elnwood
02-05-2013, 06:02 PM
Choose the version you want to search in the command line
(Set search limits if desired)
Use the Graphical Search Engine (click on Tools in green bar below command line and select)
When the GSE opens, double-click on the empty word box and type in "and" as the word you are searching for
On the right side of that box, click to check "Specify position in verse" and make sure it's #1 from beginning > OK
Run search

That gives me every verse that begins with "and." However, I want every SENTENCE that begins with "And."

Sometimes the "and" at the beginning of a verse is mid-sentence. I want to exclude those. Sometimes "And" at the beginning of a sentence is mid-verse. I want to include those.

elnwood
02-05-2013, 06:06 PM
Okay, I figured it out. There's a "Case-sensitive" option in GSE.

Jim Wert
02-05-2013, 11:48 PM
Using a "Regular Expression" on the command line works too (not available for Greek/Hebrew).
~^And on the command line will do the same thing.
(In my experience the statistics are not always accurate for Regular Expression Searches; create a Verse List from the search result and then export that back to the Search Window to display accurate statistics.)