PDA

View Full Version : Search in Morphological always results in display change

Hopkins
11-22-2004, 09:46 AM
Hi,

I have experimented with two config switches that seem to produce no discernable results:

1.) Do not automatically make morphology versions display versions; and

2.) Maintain search version after lemma search

For 1.) Do not automatically make morphology versions display versions

In the help file is says: If this flag is set and you activate a Greek or Hebrew morphology as a search version, it will not automatically be activated as a display version. This permits you to do morphology searches while having only the text version displayed. For example, you can do GNM searches but have only the GNT displayed in the Results Window. For non-Hebrew/Greek versions, activating a version as a search version always adds it to the display list as well.

But how is this possible? Whenever BGM is typed into the command line, both the listbox hits window and results window change to the BGM version text, with the exception that if the results window is in multiple version mode, this window remains unchanged.

How does one search in a morphological version without changing the listbox/results versions? If NIV is the selected search and display version, is there a command line way to search in BGM such as 'a curse be on him -BGM or similar?

2.) Maintain search version after lemma search -

This would seem to imply the same result as the above config switch - there seems to be no mention of this switch in the help file

What do these switches practically mean?

Thanks!

Hopkins

Joe Fleener
11-22-2004, 12:11 PM
Hi,

For 1.) Do not automatically make morphology versions display versions

In the help file is says: If this flag is set and you activate a Greek or Hebrew morphology as a search version, it will not automatically be activated as a display version. This permits you to do morphology searches while having only the text version displayed. For example, you can do GNM searches but have only the GNT displayed in the Results Window. For non-Hebrew/Greek versions, activating a version as a search version always adds it to the display list as well.

But how is this possible? Whenever BGM is typed into the command line, both the listbox hits window and results window change to the BGM version text, with the exception that if the results window is in multiple version mode, this window remains unchanged.

How does one search in a morphological version without changing the listbox/results versions? If NIV is the selected search and display version, is there a command line way to search in BGM such as 'a curse be on him -BGM or similar?

This flag makes the most sense when in multiple version mode. As stated in the help file when you have this flag checked and then change your search version to BGM, BGM is not added to the Results window (assuming multiversion mode).

However, verse and word/lemma listboxes are dependant on the search version. This is how you could want it. If you are searching against the BGM then you are searching on lemmas. The list boxes will display the various forms of the lemma as you type. These boxes are always tied to the search version.

The trick is when you change to browse mode. Browse mode is directly connected to your search version. If you have BGM as your search version and change to browse mode you will be browsing the BGM...not very fun :).

This is very key to everything in BW. The functions of the program are driven by the search version.

This would seem to imply the same result as the above config switch - there seems to be no mention of this switch in the help file

I just played around with this a bit...I had not noticed this option before. I cannot tell what it is doing either. Maybe someone else has an idea.

Hope some of this is helpful.

Mark Eddy
11-22-2004, 12:38 PM

What do these switches practically mean?

This switch was added after the manual was published, so it is not mentioned in Help either.
Since I asked for this feature, let me explain its purpose.
In parallel version mode I prefer not to display morphology versions. If you right click on a Greek or Hebrew word with the mouse and choose "search for lemma" without this feature checked, the search version for the comand line changes to the morphology version. E.g. when BGT is the original search version, after doing a lemma search the search version automatially become BGM if this option is not checked.
So if you clear the command line to search for a different word, thinkng that your search version is still BGT (forgetting that your lemma search had changed the search version) you can get the wrong results (or be told that the word you seek does not exist in the current search version). This standard feature was disconcerting to me, so Michael added the option to keep the search version from changing to a morphology version each time we do a lemma search.

The disadvantage to checking this option is that it automatically clears the command line (since BW switches back to the original search version after the morphology search is completed), so you can forget what your last search word is. If you want to see your last search on the command line after the search is completed, don't check this option.

If your search version is NIV and you are in parallel versions mode with BGT or BGM displayed, just right lick on the Greek word you want to search, and choose the kind of search you want from the drop-down list. And you'll get a search on the Greek word. But in this case, since you are switching languages, the search version will change to the Greek version (not stay in NIV) whether you have selected "Maintain search version after lemma search" or not.

I hope this explanation helps.

In Christ,
Mark Eddy

Hopkins
11-22-2004, 02:31 PM
Hi,

Thanks for the reply!

I didn't notice that since I had BGM already added to my multiple versions window - so for me, there was no difference - but now I understand :)

Thanks!

[QUOTE=Joe Fleener]This flag makes the most sense when in multiple version mode. As stated in the help file when you have this flag checked and then change your search version to BGM, BGM is not added to the Results window (assuming multiversion mode).

Hopkins
11-22-2004, 02:40 PM
Cool that they are so responsive in adding features :)

Thanks for the well written explanation - It's crystal clear now :)

-Hopkins

This switch was added after the manual was published, so it is not mentioned in Help either.
Since I asked for this feature, let me explain its purpose.
In parallel version mode I prefer not to display morphology versions. If you right click on a Greek or Hebrew word with the mouse and choose "search for lemma" without this feature checked, the search version for the comand line changes to the morphology version. E.g. when BGT is the original search version, after doing a lemma search the search version automatially become BGM if this option is not checked.
So if you clear the command line to search for a different word, thinkng that your search version is still BGT (forgetting that your lemma search had changed the search version) you can get the wrong results (or be told that the word you seek does not exist in the current search version). This standard feature was disconcerting to me, so Michael added the option to keep the search version from changing to a morphology version each time we do a lemma search.

The disadvantage to checking this option is that it automatically clears the command line (since BW switches back to the original search version after the morphology search is completed), so you can forget what your last search word is. If you want to see your last search on the command line after the search is completed, don't check this option.

If your search version is NIV and you are in parallel versions mode with BGT or BGM displayed, just right lick on the Greek word you want to search, and choose the kind of search you want from the drop-down list. And you'll get a search on the Greek word. But in this case, since you are switching languages, the search version will change to the Greek version (not stay in NIV) whether you have selected "Maintain search version after lemma search" or not.

I hope this explanation helps.

In Christ,
Mark Eddy