PDA

View Full Version : Possible New Forums

MBushell
04-01-2004, 08:19 PM
I suspect we may want to start several separate forums for high interest subjects. Off the top of my head I think it would be useful to have separate ones for the VDC, ASE and the Diagrammer. Any other suggestions. I guess we would want to neep the number down pretty low for sanity sake.

Mike

Joe Fleener
04-01-2004, 08:37 PM
I don't know what Charlie's thought would be, but how about a "Training" Forum.

We could place training documents, etc. Maybe this would be too much overlap with the Training page on BW's web site... Just some thoughts. :confused:

MTan
04-01-2004, 08:39 PM
The plan is to let people get used to the new forums for a few weeks. After we establish a pattern it will become more clear how to subdivide the forums... Many are still reeling over the change from email to this forum,web based heirarchy. I hadn't anticipated a steep learning curve, but it makes sense that this is a system shock for some. Forums are very different than a single email stream. It's kind of like supercharged multiple streams of email and a file heirarchy combined!

Joe Fleener
04-01-2004, 09:02 PM
I would agree. This does take some getting used to, but it is very cool and worth the learning curve.

jdarlack
04-01-2004, 09:18 PM
Again, the folks at BW have amazed me beyond expectation!

In the past, folks have requested innovations in the program and the team has met and exceeded expectations again and again. This list is in the same vein of success!

Now one can even choose what topics one will receive mail on! I am behind the times with the whole blog/forum thing, but wow! You have again turned technology around to our advantage!

Amazed again,

~Jim

PS: Learning curve schmearning curve! I love a challenge! :cool:

tcblack
04-02-2004, 12:15 AM
#q !ya hbrh ~yrps twf[
hmhm rtywrfb t[gy hbrh ghlw
Jim, I don't read Hebrew yet, (though I'm trying) could you translate that for me?
:o

Charlie
04-02-2004, 10:24 AM
I don't read Hebrew fluently either, but I have a really cool program called BibleWorks. I just changed the search version in BW to the Hebrew Bible (WTT) and searched on the first two-word string in Jim's footer (~yrps twf[). You can see the keyboard layout in the manual, it's really easy though if you already know the alphabet. Every letter is on the key you would expect it to be on (except ayin, it's on the [ key). Here's what you actually type:

'[fwt sprym

What you actually see is:

'~yrps twf[

Hit enter on this and you get only one hit:

ESV Ecclesiastes 12:12 My son, beware of anything beyond these. Of making many books there is no end, and much study is a weariness of the flesh.

~yrIp's. tAf[] rhE+Z"hi ynIB. hM'heme rtEyOw> WTT Ecclesiastes 12:12

`rf")B' t[;gIy> hBer>h; gh;l;w> #qe !yae hBer>h;

jdarlack
04-02-2004, 10:41 AM
Thanks Charlie for answering quicker. I am getting used to this whole forum thing!

The verse describes a large part of my life:

My Job: I work in a library, hence "many books" hbrh ~yrps
My Studies: I am in midst of finishing an MA in NT studies, hence "much study is a weariness of the flesh"rfb t[gy hbrh ghlw

wezlo
04-02-2004, 02:30 PM
I suspect we may want to start several separate forums for high interest subjects. Off the top of my head I think it would be useful to have separate ones for the VDC, ASE and the Diagrammer. Any other suggestions. I guess we would want to neep the number down pretty low for sanity sake.

Mike

Mike, Bibleworks and Linux. That'll put us in a corner where we don't bother a bunch of people who don't care and you can see the traffic (to encourage you to port it over...).

Wes

Charlie
04-02-2004, 04:23 PM
Wes,

You don't actually need an entire Forum for this. Just create a new thread in the "General BibleWorks Discussion" forum and title the thread "BibleWorks and Linux." The forum software is remarkably flexible, we can split threads and/or move threads to their own forums in the future if the topic becomes enormously popular.

You can even post a "Poll" at the top of the thread so all Linux fans can vote on their favorite method of running Windows apps.

Charlie

Dogfish Jones
04-02-2004, 04:36 PM
~yrIp's. tAf[] rhE+Z"hi ynIB. hM'heme rtEyOw> WTT Ecclesiastes 12:12

`rf")B' t[;gIy> hBer>h; gh;l;w> #qe !yae hBer>h;

Sorry for the tangent to this thread, but I just noticed this:

Using MSN Explorer, the vowels are causing spaces to be automatically inserted in the text. Haven't checked it with IE or Netscape, though.

I thought this problem had been fixed? stinky MS & MSN...

The Hebrew used without vowels appears correctly, btw.

BBeers
04-02-2004, 05:41 PM
I know that we have an email that we can send ideas to the arch-programmers (ideas@bibleworks.com), but I have seen some cool ideas have come through on the mailing list. I like seeing the ideas that people have for making BW more useful so a forum would be a fun place to see them.
It might also be a useful place to have discussions about which Bible version, and other resources we would like to be added into BW.

jdarlack
04-02-2004, 05:46 PM
I completely agree with Mr Beers! There is a lot to be said for having a "think tank" to discuss possible improvements. Also, part of the appeal for me with Bibleworks is that I can actually see (within days sometimes) how user suggestions mold the program into a better tool! Such a thread would continue to confirm my feelings!

~Jim

Charlie
04-02-2004, 05:52 PM
I completely agree with Mr Beers! There is a lot to be said for having a "think tank" to discuss possible improvements....

I just created a thread for discussing ideas for future development. Have at it:

http://www.bibleworks.com/forums/showthread.php?p=173#post173